Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Thoughts on coffee during diazepam taper?!

[Zi...]

Just wondering if I should quit coffee all together during my taper now? I used to always drink 4 or 6 cups of coffee per day before I decided to taper off my original prescription of clonazepam. We made the switch to diazepam as my doctor and I thought it would be the best route. If you look at my taper schedule in My Profile, I started in January 2023. I never thought of cutting coffee (caffeine) out of my life as I loved having it as a hot beverage and enjoyed it. I never thought anything of it until about July when I started feeling more anxiety and higher blood pressure. 

Essentially I went from 30mg/day diazepam in January down to 11mg/day in July. 

July 12, 2023 I decided to stop my coffee intake cold turkey. I tried drinking teas but I am not a tea lover so it is hard to switch. I was able to stop coffee intake until July 26, 2023. I needed the coffee flavor so I am trying decaf coffee. 

For the last 3 months or so I have been really fatigued, anxiety is high, blood pressure higher than it used to be and not feeling with it at all. I posted about a month ago about gabapentin as I am having insomnia too. This all on top of having cervical dystonia which is the worst neck muscle condition out there. The benzo was originally prescribed roughly 26 years ago to help my dystonia. I want off it badly now as it seems to be making my brain and life worse. 

Anyway sorry for the long read. I just wanted to vent a bit and wonder if caffeine is making some of my symptoms worse than they should be?

What have you all done about coffee during your tapers? If you are or were a coffee drinker! 

• Like 1

Hi Zippo,

Before my taper, I didn't care whether the coffee was decaf or not.  Now I drink more decaf, as I sense an uptick in anxiety with the caffeine.  You mentioned drinking decaf, so maybe that's what you could emphasize or drink exclusively.

• Like 2

Hi @[Zi...] Firstly I am one that has never had a problem with coffee, but only have two nice cups per day, I am wondering of some of what you are feeling is from the cuts you have been taking. It is pretty normal to have anxiety and other sx while tapering, many on BB have had an increase of B/P too and did not drink coffee. I am thinking that maybe you might think of doing some mediation, I was given a great tape on relaxing, and I used to put it on each night before I went to sleep, it made me relax each area of my body, and when in the thick of things my first two tapers, it was a godsend to me. I do not have the name, but there are many out there to choose from. Now I am not a Doctor, but maybe decrease your coffee to a couple of cups daily, coffee was one of my enjoyments that I would have missed. And if your B/P is off the charts, you need to be seen by your Doctor. I just think that sometimes we give up too much during tapering and we need something that we can enjoy. Best to you. Stay Strong. 💖Peace and Healing.

• Like 2

Coffee is my favorite food group, and I've been drinking it daily through my taper.  This is something I'm struggling with right now, as I know I would sleep some if I cut down on it.  

I'm aiming toward 150 mg of caffeine, down from 200 mg.  I'm drinking a lot of decaf and really like the flavor, although caffeine does have its own flavor, which I'm addicted to.

About gabapentin, I take it about once a week for sleep.  When I took it every day, I instantly built up a tolerance to it.  Once a week works well for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Coffee is my favorite food group, and I've been drinking it daily through my taper.  This is something I'm struggling with right now, as I know I would sleep some if I cut down on it.  

I'm aiming toward 150 mg of caffeine, down from 200 mg.  I'm drinking a lot of decaf and really like the flavor, although caffeine does have its own flavor, which I'm addicted to.

About gabapentin, I take it about once a week for sleep.  When I took it every day, I instantly built up a tolerance to it.  Once a week works well for me.

I love this "Coffee is my favorite food group" :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Hi @[Zi...]

I took a look at your taper history and it’s as I expected. You’ve been tapering quite fast. 

Often it’s difficult to gauge exactly how our taper is tracking because we seem to condition to our current state as we move forward, however, at some point along the way, we do eventually accept things have become more difficult. At this point, we often notice that certain foods… or in your case, ‘coffee’ starts to rev us up. This is probably a sign that your system has become vulnerable, isn’t as calm as it was earlier on in the taper when it could tolerate the caffeine. 

For many of us, I believe if we taper carefully and with patience, we can mostly avoid an uptick in symptoms from these foods and beverages. If you feel you are starting to have more difficulty with caffeine, it may be a very early sign of the trajectory you’re heading along with your taper. It’s good that you decreased your 2mg cut to 1mg at the last reduction, but maybe your reductions had already been catching up with you, and even that 1mg cut was felt more intensely than previous reductions. This may be the point where you decide to hold for a little bit to allow your system to decompress and reset for the next part of your taper. 

When you started your taper, your first 2mg reduction was 10%, so, since then, your reduction percentage had been climbing with each new cut, until you reached 12mg, and, although you adjusted for your last reduction to just under 10%, I believe it is the previous high percentage cuts which have caught up with you, and now the accumulative stress on your system is probably making you more susceptible to the effects of caffeine. You might do well to hold for longer this time, until you feel you’ve recovered from those higher percentage cuts.

Keep in mind that although your next two cuts will be below or at 10%, if you keep cutting at 1mg beyond that, your percentage will continue climbing well beyond that 10% again, and it will be even harder on you at lower doses than has been to this point. You may do well to get yourself a jewellers scale as you taper below that 10%, so you can make accurate reductions at or below 10% in the lower doses. 

I know this was simply a question about caffeine, but, for me, it’s an early sign that things are beginning to get difficult… a sign that maybe it’s time to reassess and reset before continuing your taper. 

If you allow yourself time to recover from those previous reductions, you will probably notice that a bit of caffeine will no longer appear as a potential problem. 

WS

On 22/08/2023 at 11:36, [[Z...] said:

Just wondering if I should quit coffee all together during my taper now? I used to always drink 4 or 6 cups of coffee per day before I decided to taper off my original prescription of clonazepam. We made the switch to diazepam as my doctor and I thought it would be the best route. If you look at my taper schedule in My Profile, I started in January 2023. I never thought of cutting coffee (caffeine) out of my life as I loved having it as a hot beverage and enjoyed it. I never thought anything of it until about July when I started feeling more anxiety and higher blood pressure. 

July 12, 2023 I decided to stop my coffee intake cold turkey. I tried drinking teas but I am not a tea lover so it is hard to switch. I was able to stop coffee intake until July 26, 2023. I needed the coffee flavor so I am trying decaf coffee. 

For the last 3 months or so I have been really fatigued, anxiety is high, blood pressure higher than it used to be and not feeling with it at all. I posted about a month ago about gabapentin as I am having insomnia too. This all on top of having cervical dystonia which is the worst neck muscle condition out there. The benzo was originally prescribed roughly 26 years ago to help my dystonia. I want off it badly now as it seems to be making my brain and life worse. 

Anyway sorry for the long read. I just wanted to vent a bit and wonder if caffeine is making some of my symptoms worse than they should be?

What have you all done about coffee during your tapers? If you are or were a coffee drinker! 

Hi zippo, I had to quit while I was in the thick of WD it does make it worse imo. I was able to add caffeine back in when the WD settled down. Why don't you try giving yourself a little caffeine instead of 0. I believe they used to make half calf coffee you could try that or just having one cup in the morning to help wake up and drink decaf the rest of the time for the flavor. I feel your pain I love my caffeine. Good luck!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Hi @[Zi...]

I took a look at your taper history and it’s as I expected. You’ve been tapering quite fast. 

Often it’s difficult to gauge exactly how our taper is tracking because we seem to condition to our current state as we move forward, however, at some point along the way, we do eventually accept things have become more difficult. At this point, we often notice that certain foods… or in your case, ‘coffee’ starts to rev us up. This is probably a sign that your system has become vulnerable, isn’t as calm as it was earlier on in the taper when it could tolerate the caffeine. 

For many of us, I believe if we taper carefully and with patience, we can mostly avoid an uptick in symptoms from these foods and beverages. If you feel you are starting to have more difficulty with caffeine, it may be a very early sign of the trajectory you’re heading along with your taper. It’s good that you decreased your 2mg cut to 1mg at the last reduction, but maybe your reductions had already been catching up with you, and even that 1mg cut was felt more intensely than previous reductions. This may be the point where you decide to hold for a little bit to allow your system to decompress and reset for the next part of your taper. 

When you started your taper, your first 2mg reduction was 10%, so, since then, your reduction percentage had been climbing with each new cut, until you reached 12mg, and, although you adjusted for your last reduction to just under 10%, I believe it is the previous high percentage cuts which have caught up with you, and now the accumulative stress on your system is probably making you more susceptible to the effects of caffeine. You might do well to hold for longer this time, until you feel you’ve recovered from those higher percentage cuts.

Keep in mind that although your next two cuts will be below or at 10%, if you keep cutting at 1mg beyond that, your percentage will continue climbing well beyond that 10% again, and it will be even harder on you at lower doses than has been to this point. You may do well to get yourself a jewellers scale as you taper below that 10%, so you can make accurate reductions at or below 10% in the lower doses. 

I know this was simply a question about caffeine, but, for me, it’s an early sign that things are beginning to get difficult… a sign that maybe it’s time to reassess and reset before continuing your taper. 

If you allow yourself time to recover from those previous reductions, you will probably notice that a bit of caffeine will no longer appear as a potential problem. 

WS

@[Wi...] Thanks for your nice reply. Yeah I think my tapering has caught up to me. I thought I was doing well but I guess it is too fast. 

I think I will try and hold my current dose for maybe another month or so. The next cut I make will be from the 11mg/day to 10.5mg/day. I will use my 2mg pills and cut into 4 to get the 0.5mg. 

I will need more advice as I approach the 10mg/day dose. I am scared of the process from then on. 

Thanks for all the replies about coffee. I appreciate the advice and what you all have done. I love coffee so much but not if it gives me spiking anxiety issues. I will try decaf again and maybe only once per day. It is hard to live without coffee!! 

• Like 2

@[Zi...] Hey, I decided not to risk drinking coffee during my taper due to its stimulating effects.  I switched to Swiss water-process decaf (absolutely no caffeine) as I LOVE the taste of coffee but wanted no caffeine. It was a good decision. When my taper was over, I tried half-caf, then full caf and all was well. Be careful of "decaf" on your taper . . . unless you look around for Swiss water process you will end up with a decaf that STILL has some caffeine in it. Just sayin'. Best to you.

• Like 2

@[Zi...] Hi Zippo - I can really relate to and appreciate your question. Like you, prior to my taper I drank about 4 shots of espresso/coffee per day. I LIVED OFF COFFEE. I continued to drink it early on in my taper but things just wern't working as I continued drinking it. So eventually I cut out coffee also. Quitting coffee while tapering actually wasn't that hard for some reason. I think my body was ready for me to release coffee. I jumped about a month ago off my last benzo and I have to say, I do miss coffee, but every time I try to drink it, other symptoms start to come up (gastric or hormonal). There are a few rare cases where members continue to drink coffee and don't have issues with it, but I wasn't able to. 

I think part of the reason my taper and jump went so well, is because I ate so clean and cut coffee. Hope this helps... 

• Like 1

I tried to reintroduce coffee toward the end of my taper, and the results were disastrous. Now that I'm off clonazepam nearly four months, I'm still planning to wait a lot longer before trying even one cup again. I believe I'm fine with a good cup of decaf, but I even have that very rarely. And I used to roast coffee. Even had a business doing that.

EA decaf coffee is also a good way to go for decaf. Good roasters sell coffee using this method or the Swiss water process. The former removes 97% of the caffeine, leaving a very small amount, but maintaining the majority of the flavor. Commercially produced coffees use a harmful chemical to pull out the caffeine as well as the flavor, which the low-quality coffee probably never had to began with.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2023 at 01:10, [[W...] said:

Hi @Zippo

We will be here to help you taper safely below the 10mg. 

All you need do is reach out... 

@[Wi...] thank you so much! It will be nice to have help when the time comes. I am really not doing well at my current dosage. I have been holding for nearly 2 months. 

This is my read on things… @[Zi...]

Those last several months of reductions were constantly increasing in percentage, and you have become more and more destabilised and symptomatic. 

When I c/t’d from clonazepam (19 days), I then reinstated on direct switch to 10mg Valium. I waited about 5 or 6 weeks before tapering to give myself time to stabilise. I began tapering at 1mg every two weeks until I reached 7mg. I was basically bedridden most of the time over those reductions with endless symptoms. I decided the next cut would be a 0.5mg reduction, but that reduction hit me just as hard as the previous 1mg reductions. I realised my system could no longer cope with another cut at that point (for whatever reason). I decided to hold until I knew I felt ready to reduce again, so I held for about 14 weeks. I didn’t really notice any Improvement until about 5 or 6 weeks, and even then, it was only a slight improvement. But as time went by, everything continued to gradually settle down until at 14 weeks, I knew I had recovered enough to resume my taper. I then decided to resume my taper at 5% of my total dose remaining before each cut using a jewellers scale to accurately meet the calculations. I can’t express to you how much easier it was to reduce once I’d held for that 14 weeks, reducing at 5% rather than set 1mg or 0.5mg cuts. If I hadn’t held for that 14 weeks, I don’t believe there’s any way in the world my system would have tolerated even those 5% reductions. There’s no set holding time to reach stabilisation, as it’s different for each individual. There are those who are in tolerance or relative withdrawal who are pretty much acute (symptomatically) all the way down, with whom a hold of any length doesn’t seem to provide relief, however, I do not believe you are one of these individuals. Your taper paints a clear picture of constantly increasing reduction percentages as you tapered, and they have simply caught up with you. 

If you have any reservations about purchasing and using a jewellers scale to make accurate cuts, please know that they are relatively cheap, and calculating you reductions is very simple.

You would simply weigh your total daily dose (11mg), which I’ll calculate right now to get an average total weight…

If one of my 2mg valium tabs weighs an average of 0.172grams, then 5 1/2 tablets (11mg) weighs 0.946grams. I did that in my head, but your tablets may weigh slightly different weight, so you would simply weigh 5 1/2 tablets on the jewellers scale for the total weight. Keep in mind that doing it this way you are no longer calculating in terms of API (active pharmaceutical ingredient), but simply calculating percentages based on weight of the tablets. 

If you want to calculate 5% of that 0.946grams, you would simply multiply… 0.946 x 95% using the calculator on your phone = 0.8987 (forget about the 7 as it’s an inconsequential weight with Valium and only complicates the equation with benzo brain). So, the reduction will be 0.048…. 0.946g down to 0.898.g

So, you would simply shave or file (I just break and crumble bits with my fingers) 0.048g from one of your tablets, or even the half (1mg) tablet which would have a total weight of 0.086g, half of 0.172g. If you discard 0.048g from that 0.086g half (1mg) tab, it leaves you with 0.038g to add to your other 5 x 2mg tablets, a tottal daily dose of 0.898. You have reduced by 5%. 

You would simply recalculate that 5% again before each new reduction from your remaining total daily dose to get your new total daily dose.

‘If you wanted to reduce by 10% rather than 5%, then you would multiply total weight of your dose (at the moment 0.946) by 90%.… 0.946 x 90% = 0.8514(drop the 4…inconsequential), so you would simply shave or file your dose down by 0.095 from 0.946g to 0.851g.

I hope I have explained this simply enough and not confused you. I just wanted you to know that it’s all very simple to use a jewellers scale and make the calculations. 

WS 

On 22/08/2023 at 23:41, [[G...] said:

@[Gl...] 

Yes, it's late at night and I'm gonna take some iced coffee from the fridge, my dear night owl🦉Tomorrow is Sunday and I like staying up late. 

"I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day." As Vincent van Gogh once said. 

@[Zi...]

On 22/08/2023 at 17:36, [[Z...] said:

@[Zi...]

I think the sxs you attributed to coffee could also be caused by too quick BZD WD. If you have high BP, cutting down on coffee is a must. I have a very low BP and I'm quite obsessive about it. It's good to measure BP twice a day. In the morning and in the evening.

A high BP can also be an sxs of the BZD WD. You know, I was diagnosed with ADHD, and it seems coffee has both stimulating and calming effect on me.

Before bed, it's better to avoid coffee altogether. Even tea and chocolate. Especially alcohol.

You could try to replace coffee with some Asian green teas, like matcha and oolong. The Japanese drink a lot of these and they function at the top level. I like to start my day with おいおいちゃ (Oi Ocha by Itoen), which is matcha tea in teabags. Has a perfect taste with yuzu jam and a few teaspoons of lemon. It actually gives you a better kick then coffee. Same with oolong tea. 

I also found coconut water with caffeine very effective. I drink it with Sicilian mandarin and lemon juice or bitter lemon tonic and ice cubes. Quite energizing.

Matcha can be served cold with ice🍵❄️😋

Paula

• Like 2

15 hours ago, [[W...] said:

This is my read on things… @[Zi...]

Those last several months of reductions were constantly increasing in percentage, and you have become more and more destabilised and symptomatic. 

When I c/t’d from clonazepam (19 days), I then reinstated on direct switch to 10mg Valium. I waited about 5 or 6 weeks before tapering to give myself time to stabilise. I began tapering at 1mg every two weeks until I reached 7mg. I was basically bedridden most of the time over those reductions with endless symptoms. I decided the next cut would be a 0.5mg reduction, but that reduction hit me just as hard as the previous 1mg reductions. I realised my system could no longer cope with another cut at that point (for whatever reason). I decided to hold until I knew I felt ready to reduce again, so I held for about 14 weeks. I didn’t really notice any Improvement until about 5 or 6 weeks, and even then, it was only a slight improvement. But as time went by, everything continued to gradually settle down until at 14 weeks, I knew I had recovered enough to resume my taper. I then decided to resume my taper at 5% of my total dose remaining before each cut using a jewellers scale to accurately meet the calculations. I can’t express to you how much easier it was to reduce once I’d held for that 14 weeks, reducing at 5% rather than set 1mg or 0.5mg cuts. If I hadn’t held for that 14 weeks, I don’t believe there’s any way in the world my system would have tolerated even those 5% reductions. There’s no set holding time to reach stabilisation, as it’s different for each individual. There are those who are in tolerance or relative withdrawal who are pretty much acute (symptomatically) all the way down, with whom a hold of any length doesn’t seem to provide relief, however, I do not believe you are one of these individuals. Your taper paints a clear picture of constantly increasing reduction percentages as you tapered, and they have simply caught up with you. 

If you have any reservations about purchasing and using a jewellers scale to make accurate cuts, please know that they are relatively cheap, and calculating you reductions is very simple.

You would simply weigh your total daily dose (11mg), which I’ll calculate right now to get an average total weight…

If one of my 2mg valium tabs weighs an average of 0.172grams, then 5 1/2 tablets (11mg) weighs 0.946grams. I did that in my head, but your tablets may weigh slightly different weight, so you would simply weigh 5 1/2 tablets on the jewellers scale for the total weight. Keep in mind that doing it this way you are no longer calculating in terms of API (active pharmaceutical ingredient), but simply calculating percentages based on weight of the tablets. 

If you want to calculate 5% of that 0.946grams, you would simply multiply… 0.946 x 95% using the calculator on your phone = 0.8987 (forget about the 7 as it’s an inconsequential weight with Valium and only complicates the equation with benzo brain). So, the reduction will be 0.048…. 0.946g down to 0.898.g

So, you would simply shave or file (I just break and crumble bits with my fingers) 0.048g from one of your tablets, or even the half (1mg) tablet which would have a total weight of 0.086g, half of 0.172g. If you discard 0.048g from that 0.086g half (1mg) tab, it leaves you with 0.038g to add to your other 5 x 2mg tablets, a tottal daily dose of 0.898. You have reduced by 5%. 

You would simply recalculate that 5% again before each new reduction from your remaining total daily dose to get your new total daily dose.

‘If you wanted to reduce by 10% rather than 5%, then you would multiply total weight of your dose (at the moment 0.946) by 90%.… 0.946 x 90% = 0.8514(drop the 4…inconsequential), so you would simply shave or file your dose down by 0.095 from 0.946g to 0.851g.

I hope I have explained this simply enough and not confused you. I just wanted you to know that it’s all very simple to use a jewellers scale and make the calculations. 

WS 

@[Wi...] wow thanks for the reply and all the info! I appreciate it very much. I have to buy a scale and some kind of file or something to shave the pills. I am still confused and will have to read your info over and over to understand better. 

Yes you are probably 100% correct about my tapering too quickly and it catching me now. I mean being on clonazepam for 26 years then trying to taper off is something I never thought I would or could do but I was becoming so brain fogged and other issues that I thought now is the time to see if I can do it. 

If I didn't have other health issues such as cervical dystonia and left leg issues it might be easier to deal with too. The pain from those affects my overall health too. It just plain old sucks. Clonazepam and Baclofen were prescribed for my dystonia all those years ago. If only we had known the dangers of these meds back then!! GRRRRR! It makes me angry with myself at times! 

Anyways thanks again and I will definitely reach out when I get to my tapering again. I will hold for longer and see how I feel. I just hate waiting forever now! I guess we all do, eh?! 

I appreciate you and all the others here! It makes me feel better knowing I am not alone and not crazy for feeling how I feel. 

• Like 1

You are very welcome, @[Zi...]

You are certainly not crazy for feeling the way you are feeling, nor are you alone in the frustration of having to hold for an indeterminate amount of time. Patience is definitely tested during a taper, which is why so many members initially taper too fast and eventually crash, even after being advised to slow down. A club of which I am also a member. The problem is that none of us ever know the true depth of suffering we can reach until we experience it directly, which is why I want to head you off at the pass so you can avoid such an extreme, painful experience, because, believe me, whatever symptoms you are experiencing at the moment, things can get much darker and much more painful, both mentally and physically. I have had ex-heroin addicts who have expressed, withdrawal from heroin has nothing on benzodiazepine withdrawal, especially over the long term. But, it doesn’t have to be that way if we’re watchful and taper sensibly based on symptoms.

Often we have members find their way to us after the damage has already been done, they’re already in the depths of suffering, but it’s obviously much better if we can inform and help guide members to taper sensibly/safely so they don’t have to go through what is often considered to be the most painful experience of one’s life. I’n most cases, impatience is the enemy of a successfully comfortable taper. 

Ask as many questions as you like, Zippo, even if you have to ask the same questions over and over. It can be difficult to comprehend the simplest things when dealing with Benzo Brain. 

Although you don’t have a scale at this time, I encourage you to simply practice using the calculator on your phone to do the calculations as shown above… although (when you have a scale) you would weigh your 5 1/2 tablets to determine your total daily dose weight, just for now, use the 0.946 and multiply it by whatever percentage you wish to taper by… 90% is obviously a 10% reduction, 95% is a 5% reduction, and if you wanted to taper at 7%, you would simply multiply by 93%. 

ATTENTION

If someone could kindly provide Zippo a link to a common jewellers scale used by members here on BB, it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately (for whatever reason) I don’t seem to be able to copy and paste links from outside of this site. 

WS 

47 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

ATTENTION

If someone could kindly provide Zippo a link to a common jewellers scale used by members here on BB, it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately (for whatever reason) I don’t seem to be able to copy and paste links from outside of this site.

@[Zi...] Hi, here is the link to the scale I use, and I'm pretty sure it's the one most use here.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TDNAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 2

@[Wi...] thanks again for the nice reply. Yeah I had no idea getting off these drugs would be so difficult. The one thing I know is I don't think I would ever want to increase my dosage to feel better. Who knows that might not even help at this stage anyway. I have in my mind just get off them and don't go up! 

I will buy the scale so I can have it and practice with it. I am sure I will be asking more and more questions. Yes even repeats probably. I guess the saying is, "The only stupid question is the one never asked!" 

@[Gl...] thanks for the link to a scale. I think in Canada on Amazon.ca this is the exact same one?: https://www.amazon.ca/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3EMK25WVYLAGB&keywords=AMERICAN+WEIGH+SCALES+Portable+Precision+Digital+Milligram+Scale+20g+x+0.001g&qid=1693177837&sprefix=american+weigh+scales+portable+precision+digital+milligram+scale+20g+x+0+001g%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-2

I don't know why is is named slightly different! 

Are there any other scales that are good out there? I was reading reviews on Amazon and it seems like the AWS scales are not super accurate. I know we can't have lab scales at this price but I worry about the taper accuracy if they could be out by a lot. I am in Canada by the way. It is tough to get many decent things here. 

4 hours ago, [[Z...] said:

I've been trying to compare them, but I can't tell if there is a difference.  The first scale I got was like the first one you linked, and it was lame, so I sent it back.  The second one looks more like it, but yikes, you're right.  It's double the price.  Maybe there's someone here from Canada who has a scale.  At least you can send it back if you don't like it.