Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Weight gain during benzo use and w/d???

[Bu...]

Has anyone experienced this during use and w/d? I'm almost at the end of the taper. However, decades of prescription drug use and w/d have left me severely overweight. Everything's so discouraging! I'm the world's most heavy vegan (poor advertisement for this wonderful lifestyle). Is it  normal to gain so much weight? Thanks.

Hey there,

Gosh, I don't think for me the benzos caused weight gain. But for sure some of the others did (mirtazepine). So I'm glad that I'm titrating down on that. A lot of people have trouble eating during benzo withdrawal. It might be a good thing for you that you're still able to eat.

There are so many things that can contribute to this. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences! You might take a look at the warnings on your current of past prescriptions and see what they say about weight gain.

Good for you for holding to a vegan diet! Not easy but surely one of the most conscientious lifestyles out there. Clearly you have discipline!! :clap:

48 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I started tapering since march. I’ve gained 16 pounds. I have blown up. And my abdomen is super swollen. I hate it. 

Hello Leaperleigh23, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Its so strange, some members lose weight, others gain.  Are you on any other medications which could be contributing to the weight gain?  We understand about the bloating, we call pretty much everything related to digestive issues benzo belly, its pretty common.

We're interested to hearing more of your story so feel free to start a thread on the Withdrawal & Recovery Support - BenzoBuddies Community Forum so we can support you, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

• 2 weeks later...