Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Advice

[kl...]

@[Co...]you obviously have seen so many come and go from this site. Probably witnessed a lot of grief and heartache along with healing and recovery. I am just curious what you have seen that seems to really help buddies successfully get through their recovery? Is there anything that you believe works for those of us tapering and in acute and post acute? 

What have you seen regarding supplements? What are your takes on exercise I used to be able to do so much now I struggle with limited routines? Does strength and endurance return? Through all these talks and success stories what other than time has helped people succeed? I know everybody is different but wasn’t sure if you have posted answers to some of these questions somewhere or not. I know with all your experience you’ve got to have a pretty good understanding of all of this. Thanks for any feedback you may be able to provide.

Hello @[kl...]

Well, frankly, any insights I might have are probably not that revelatory. And how individuals experience withdrawal varies so much anyway. I don't think there is any magic formula (or we would have discovered long before now). I am not a believer in the use of supplements unless to treat an actual deficit / medical condition. 

What I do suggest is keeping diary of any changes you make to your medication or lifestyle, and keep note of how you feel. This will help you see if there are any patterns for you. Alcohol (even very moderate amounts, but consumed semi-regularly - say, every 2-3 weeks) would have cumulative negative effects for me. I noticed no acute affects, but it would mount up over time. Only after a few cycles of becoming quite ill and subsequent periods of total abstinence, did I begin understand the connection. If I had kept a diary, I might have noticed sooner (it took a few years for me to realise). Others have mentioned similar with alcohol; and yet others report no particular problems. I only mention alcohol because I think I diary would have helped me.

The only other things I would suggest is, beyond keeping a diary, is to try to get away from thinking about withdrawal it 24/7. Find distractions, even if it is just a bit of light TV. Get in whatever exercise you can reasonably manage, and trust that things will improve.

• Like 2

@[Co...]have you seen people who were prescribed long term use heal? I have been on K for 18 years and was given a taper plan from prescribing doctor of a week. I knew that wasn’t smart but still went way to fast and now am stuck at .50 MG. I have cut 1.5 MG in 10 months. I did it wrong though I was cutting .25 and .50 Mg at a time. The last time I went from 1 Mg to .50 I got hit hard and now am stuck and have been since April.

@[kl...] You will find examples in Success Stories or people recovering after many years of use. I was on 4.5mg clonazepam for four years and tapered off over six months. I am recovered.