Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Navigating Withdrawal

[Ri...]

I’m new to this group and I’m hoping to find support. 

I’ve been taking 1mg of Klonopin daily for 8 years for extreme anxiety including daily panic attacks.  I’m fully aware that Benzos should not be used as a long term solution for anxiety, but it is the only pill I’ve taken that completely eliminates my anxiety and panic 

Klonopin has been a miracle pill for me, allowing me to be the person I think I should be, but I’ve recently noticed that my memory and cognitive abilities have suddenly taken a nose dive…

After a spiral last month, I ended up in the hospital for a week.  Over a period of 7 days, the doctor took me off of 20Mg of Lexapro .The 1mg of Klonopin I’d been taking  daily for 8 years was also eliminated.  The Lexapro was replaced with Effexor, but I was taken off of Klonopin in a week. 

I actually felt ok in the hospital, but 2 days after I was released, I started to feel the physical and mental symptoms of withdrawal.  

I’m only getting worse day by day. I’m trying to decide if I should go back on Klonopin to feel better and function or hope the symptoms go away soon.  I’m pretty sure the 1 week taper after 8 years was too fast. I don’t know what to do, but I definitely cannot carry out the basic functions of my job at the moment and I need to get back to work soon

• Like 2

Hello Rip8134,

I'm so sorry to hear you were taken off the drug so quickly, I'm afraid your symptoms are likely to get worse.  I quit Klonopin cold turkey and my acute symptoms, where I could not function lasted about 2 1/2 weeks, after that, I could take care of my basic needs but the suffering continued for many months.

I realize your story may not be mine but being on the drug for 8 years is a long time and your brain needs to recover from the disruption the Klonopin caused and this doesn't happen overnight.  

The purpose of a taper is to allow your brain and central nervous system to regain normal function as you reduce the drug, this hasn't happened in your case.  My suggestion is to go back on the Klonopin, wait to stabilize then begin a slow taper which will hopefully allow you to function.  Stabilization can take weeks, will your doctor support you going back on the drug with enough medication to do a slow taper?  Please have your doctor read this, its important you're both on the same page. Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance (corxconsortium.org)

Its important to educate yourself about what's happened to you to help dispel the fear the drug withdrawal creates, I hope you'll keep talking to us so we can help you understand where you are and what you need to do.

Pamster

• Like 3

Hello @[Ri...] Welcome!  I'm glad you joined us.😊

I agree with Pamster that you should go back on Klonopin.  If you don't get stabilized and then start a slow taper, It's going to really mess with your nervous system.  I hope you have some on hand, so you don't have to wait to get into the doctor. 

I wish you all the very best.  Stick around and get the support you need here.😊

• Like 2

@[Ri...]

I understand you’re on Effexor XR now? It’s a good med for tapering BZD. Acts both on serotonin and norepinephrine receptors in the brain.

0.5 mg clonazepam would be 20 mg diazepam, so reinstatenent is definitely an option. Especially if you’re planning to go back to work soon.

Pamster provided you with an excellent resource, I saved that attachment for future use. You could go according to the Ashton Manual or slower. 

If you could take some more time off work, that would be helpful.

Good luck🤍

Paula (aka Estée)

• Like 1

Thank you for your support and advice.  I see my doctor this week.  I will inquire about reinstating with the goal of tapering off very slow…. I don’t think I could work without the K right now.

I will keep you posted.  

19 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Thank you for your support and advice.  I see my doctor this week.  I will inquire about reinstating with the goal of tapering off very slow…. I don’t think I could work without the K right now.

I will keep you posted.  

I was on Clonazepam a long time as well, and can't agree more with @[Pa...] on this.  I had to reinstate, although I had no idea that's what I was doing, but all in all, I've come out very well and now, since finding BB I've been slow tapering for 5 months and have been very lucky, few wd sxs, and nothing horrible like when I tried cold-turkey. I suggest getting your full-dose back of the K, and later when you are stable again, maybe then approach your doctor with info that you can read up on here at BB, including Ashton Manual, when you are able to focus on reading info.

Some doctors might be getting nervous about prescribing Klonopin, so I feel main thing is to get your 'script back ;) Denise PS  I do want to say reading the material, personal stories etc., are crucial to finding your best way to taper, Denise:smitten:

• Like 2

I met with my new psychiatrist.  I will be reinstating back to .5mg twice a day.  It is simply amazing how much better I felt when i took the Benzo yesterday.  It’s scary how bad I felt without it but with 1mg of K I’m back to my normal self.  I can function again.  

I’m starting to wonder if I should be taking this the rest of my life.  The benefit for my anxiety and basic functioning far outweighs any negative effect that I can see. I never increased the dose over 8 years and it still works wonders for me.   

Maybe I should be on it forever? 

So glad you checked in and I'm relieved to hear you're doing so well.  You've asked an important question that only you and time can answer.  There are people who can stay on this medication for a very long time.  Others are able to take it for years but for some reason, their body reaches a point where the drug turns on them and they're faced with the type of symptoms you experienced, their only recourse at that point is to raise their dose or taper from it.  Typically, once a person reaches tolerance to a particular dose and raise it, this will keep happening until they can't raise it anymore and the only thing left is to taper from it. 

I don't know what your future will be but if staying on the medication is the best path for you then I hope it serves you well. :smitten:

• Like 2