A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Pain at neck under jaw by gland pains?

[ho...]

Anyone else get a pain under their jaw by the salivary gland on the left, but when you push around and all nothing is swollen or actually hurts when you push? 

Just randomly came on last weekend and is here and there… 

New symptoms never help my health anxiety! 

Yes I had that. It did hurt, sort of stinging, hard to describe. Some days it was a little bit swollen… It was up and down like all my symptoms but this one has been gone for about four months and until now never returned. Wish you good healing 🍀

1 hour ago, [[s...] said:

Yes I had that. It did hurt, sort of stinging, hard to describe. Some days it was a little bit swollen… It was up and down like all my symptoms but this one has been gone for about four months and until now never returned. Wish you good healing 🍀

Thanks! Mines kind of like a tightness or pain. But when I touch around nothing feels out of the ordinary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @[ho...]

I  don’t know if we’re talking about the same symptoms, but I get quite a lot of muscular aches and pains through the neck and jaw.

Benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants, so, withdrawing from these medications will obviously cause tension in various parts of the body. 

8 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Hi @[ho...]

I  don’t know if we’re talking about the same symptoms, but I get quite a lot of muscular aches and pains through the neck and jaw.

Benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants, so, withdrawing from these medications will obviously cause tension in various parts of the body. 

I’m 5 years out about so it’s just frustrating. The symptom since left and a new one of calf and foot pins and needles popped in. It’s like what symptoms will pop on today?!

@[ho...] Can you give me a list of your current symptoms? I’m interested in knowing how many of your symptoms have resolved or improved significantly over the past 5 years. 

Im not surprised certain symptoms leave with new ones still popping up, but it would just be interesting to know your healing trajectory over the last 5 years. 

Are you significantly improved since those early days? 

On 06/08/2023 at 07:52, [[h...] said:

Anyone else get a pain under their jaw by the salivary gland on the left, but when you push around and all nothing is swollen or actually hurts when you push? 

Just randomly came on last weekend and is here and there… 

New symptoms never help my health anxiety! 

I JUST had this randomly yesterday. Yes, I get it intermittently - not often, but it's weird and concerning. Comes and goes but I don't know why it happens or how it goes away. It's definitely near or realted to a gland and under my chin toward the back of the jaw. 

4 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[ho...] Can you give me a list of your current symptoms? I’m interested in knowing how many of your symptoms have resolved or improved significantly over the past 5 years. 

Im not surprised certain symptoms leave with new ones still popping up, but it would just be interesting to know your healing trajectory over the last 5 years. 

Are you significantly improved since those early days? 

My story is quite complicated to begin with. I had no clue the power of benzos and my dr made them seem benign when my dad passed suddenly and suggesting them. Then years later no one validated that my taper symptoms were withdrawal when I was ferritin worse and worse and was advised “just do detox and get it out of your system ri get better faster…HUGE MISTAKE. 
but here I am and I’ve had 2 setbacks in the mix. So I was off August 31, 2018. Stress setback January 2022 when I started with new symptoms and again thanks to a dr scared me to death when I ended up having a hypertonic pelvic door as a new symptom. Then this past March I had rectal burning and scared myself to death over a setback from a colonoscopy that that’s exactly what I caused to happen. After the first  setback was so incredibly bad I did a few rounds of stem cells also which I am about 6 months out from. Then this past April I started a cellular redox supplement thinking it be benign and it was anything but and there came new symptoms once again.
I also recently found out my ferritin was super low and began iron for that insane any of that is contributing. 
So I haven’t really had a healing trajectory because I actually got worse over time with setbacks based on fear. 
but my symptoms  stem from an extremely overstimulated CNS… sound sensitivity, revved feeling in the head all of the time, stress intolerance, head pressure, problems thinking what I want to say or word recognition, Brain fog  tinnitus, burning mouth syndrome, pins and needles in calf abs foot, severe anxiety and fear, severe health anxiety, right muscles in cheeks that tend to Charlie horse and I have new one come and go. It’s not all 24/7 and some come and go but some are all of the time. In 5 years I’ve gone gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, caffeine free, eat all organic non processed foods. Sensitive to certain supplements.  
I started back to Accupuncture also as well as I am doing the Gupta program because I think this is a huge limbic system issue and that fear has kept me in a huge looping cycle and alof of that has become wired so deeply into my brain pathways. I’ve basically lived this experience from when it all began daily. I read all the forums good and bad to be educated and it’s played against me. I’ve lived in chronic fear and eggshells making this so much worse. 
I’m desperate to get better. Our son was 6 when this began and is now 11. But I’ve done more this summer than the last ones. So maybe things are changing but at a snails pace and it’s so hard to tell when new stuff pops in and out and then it takes me to worse case scenarios of having developed something in conjunction to this even tho I was completely healthy and 35 when this began. Someone recently scared me about Lyme as I had an mri 18 months out with a few white spots but I had blood work and the western med tests were fine. Then I worry about MS and can’t handle a spinal tap just to see…. I’ve done soooooo many medical tests that have only revved me up more and more instead of letting go, trusting in my healing and working on the fear and I’ve annoyed the hell out of doctors yet it’s not my fault and didn’t sign up for this. I’ve learned a fearful brain can cause many symptoms and that’s something I am hugely working on. Dan Buglio on Pain Free You on Facebook  is a good one to follow for that. 
Anyway sorry for the essay, but that’s where I am at as we speak and I pray the neuroplasticity work along with the stem cells and Accupuncture and rising my iron will all help! 
Just remember all of our stories will be different so don’t let mine scare you. 

Thank you for sharing your story with us @[ho...].

Im very sorry this has been such an incredibly rough journey for you, but, I’m very glad to hear you are focussing on neuroplasticity and calming your system naturally. Im also subscribed to the Gupta program. 

We often experience such intense stress and fear over such a long period of time, and this can have an enormous impact on the various systems within our bodies, destabilising mast cells throughout those systems which can cause very similar symptoms to our withdrawal. Just as there is an endless list of symptoms associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal, MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome) is absolutely no different. So, for some of us, it is absolutely necessary to get on the front foot and calm our systems by natural means (breath work, meditation, yoga, and very light exercise) to help stabilise those mast cells and break that cycle of endlessly pounding our systems with those stress/fear hormones which are continually activating mast cells (the inflammatory response), and flooding our systems with the release of our own stores of histamine production. Not all of us experience mast cell destabilisation through this withdrawal or recovery process, but for those of us who do, we really do need to play an active part in our own recovery process, rather than just waiting on time itself to do its thing.

You are on the right path @[ho...]

There are a few supplements that play an important role in stabilising mast cells, but one must be careful to onboard them very slowly to avoid the body reacting to something it misinterprets as dangerous, triggering another reaction. If you choose to look into this, begin onboarding the supplements in a very small amount (1/8 of a tab) and increase slightly after a week to 1/4 of a tab…. and only ever onboard one supplement at a time. 

Keep up with the program and your daily calming techniques and practices. 

Wishing you all the best, @[ho...]

WS 

57 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Thank you for sharing your story with us @[ho...].

Im very sorry this has been such an incredibly rough journey for you, but, I’m very glad to hear you are focussing on neuroplasticity and calming your system naturally. Im also subscribed to the Gupta program. 

We often experience such intense stress and fear over such a long period of time, and this can have an enormous impact on the various systems within our bodies, destabilising mast cells throughout those systems which can cause very similar symptoms to our withdrawal. Just as there is an endless list of symptoms associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal, MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome) is absolutely no different. So, for some of us, it is absolutely necessary to get on the front foot and calm our systems by natural means (breath work, meditation, yoga, and very light exercise) to help stabilise those mast cells and break that cycle of endlessly pounding our systems with those stress/fear hormones which are continually activating mast cells (the inflammatory response), and flooding our systems with the release of our own stores of histamine production. Not all of us experience mast cell destabilisation through this withdrawal or recovery process, but for those of us who do, we really do need to play an active part in our own recovery process, rather than just waiting on time itself to do its thing.

You are on the right path @[ho...]

There are a few supplements that play an important role in stabilising mast cells, but one must be careful to onboard them very slowly to avoid the body reacting to something it misinterprets as dangerous, triggering another reaction. If you choose to look into this, begin onboarding the supplements in a very small amount (1/8 of a tab) and increase slightly after a week to 1/4 of a tab…. and only ever onboard one supplement at a time. 

Keep up with the program and your daily calming techniques and practices. 

Wishing you all the best, @[ho...]

WS 

I had histamine blood checked last year which was normal but I don’t seem to react to histamine stuff but I don’t know if I would. I take fish oil, beef liver, iron, psyllium husk, digestive enzyme and vitamin c. What’s even used for mast cell ? 

I wouldn’t want to share which supplements without urging you to research on MCAS360.

I’m not saying you have MCAS, but if you believe you are creating a lot of your reactions or symptoms through stress, anxiety, and fear, it’s very possible that you are triggering mast cells. 17 - 19% of the population have some level of MCAS. If you go to MCAS360, tap on ‘MCAS’ in the menu across the top of the screen, a drop down menu will pop up. You can do a symptom survey, learn what MCAS is, and type any vitamin or supplement into the search bar to read everything you need to know about what that particular supplement does to help stabilise mast cells. It’s not as simple as just choosing any particular vitamin supplement, as there are specific types of vitamins. 

Here are a few supplements used to help stabilise mast cells, but research them on MCAS360 beforehand. 

Quercetin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin A, Zinc, Baicalin, Perilla seed extract, Resveratrol 

The above are the top 7 supplements for MCAS. 

Magnesium is very important as well, as there can be no real healing if magnesium is very low. But, even magnesium must be researched on MCAS360, because certain types may cause reactions. 

I’ve been posting about this quite a bit over the last days, and I don’t want members to think that this is an issue for most, but it will potentially be an issue for a few or more, and if I don’t put it out there… then there may a few members who can’t figure out why they are reacting to foods or external pollutants or simply experiencing intensified symptoms when they have become stressed or fearful. So it should only be considered if one feels there may be something else going on besides withdrawal symptoms. We should all be trying to keep ourselves as calm as possible… I don’t think I’ll get much argument about that. Keeping our systems as calm as possible, keeps our mast cells stable so we don’t keep triggering a inflammatory response where the body is flooded with stores of its own histamine production and certain other chemicals that are released causing an endless list of symptoms, many very similar to withdrawal symptoms. 

If you someone is wondering why they seem to randomly go into a state of fight or flight (extremely heightened), it may be worth looking in to. 

31 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I wouldn’t want to share which supplements without urging you to research on MCAS360.

I’m not saying you have MCAS, but if you believe you are creating a lot of your reactions or symptoms through stress, anxiety, and fear, it’s very possible that you are triggering mast cells. 17 - 19% of the population have some level of MCAS. If you go to MCAS360, tap on ‘MCAS’ in the menu across the top of the screen, a drop down menu will pop up. You can do a symptom survey, learn what MCAS is, and type any vitamin or supplement into the search bar to read everything you need to know about what that particular supplement does to help stabilise mast cells. It’s not as simple as just choosing any particular vitamin supplement, as there are specific types of vitamins. 

Here are a few supplements used to help stabilise mast cells, but research them on MCAS360 beforehand. 

Quercetin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin A, Zinc, Baicalin, Perilla seed extract, Resveratrol 

The above are the top 7 supplements for MCAS. 

Magnesium is very important as well, as there can be no real healing if magnesium is very low. But, even magnesium must be researched on MCAS360, because certain types may cause reactions. 

I’ve been posting about this quite a bit over the last days, and I don’t want members to think that this is an issue for most, but it will potentially be an issue for a few or more, and if I don’t put it out there… then there may a few members who can’t figure out why they are reacting to foods or external pollutants or simply experiencing intensified symptoms when they have become stressed or fearful. So it should only be considered if one feels there may be something else going on besides withdrawal symptoms. We should all be trying to keep ourselves as calm as possible… I don’t think I’ll get much argument about that. Keeping our systems as calm as possible, keeps our mast cells stable so we don’t keep triggering a inflammatory response where the body is flooded with stores of its own histamine production and certain other chemicals that are released causing an endless list of symptoms, many very similar to withdrawal symptoms. 

If you someone is wondering why they seem to randomly go into a state of fight or flight (extremely heightened), it may be worth looking in to. 

Magnesium has always been so controversial because in my time I’ve seen a cofeee decent amount of setbacks, but then some people swear by it. I thought about starting with soaking my feet in Epsom salt and taking it from there because the last thing I need is another setback. Thanks for all of the information. My functional medicine doctor has never seemed concerned about it, but I can always bring it up again in the future.

Your welcome!

Just note - 99% of Functional medical practitioners will have no idea about MCAS. It’s just not in their wheelhouse. It’s usually immunologists who diagnose. 

Keep up the Gupta!

In fact, Beth at MCAS360 urges her sensitive clients to undergo the Gupta program before trying to onboard any kind of supplements. There’s actually a discount if you subscribe through MCAS360. 

On the magnesium… that was the reason I mentioned starting with 1/8 of a tablet or dose, and then gradually building up. If you do have a reaction… you want it to be as small as possible. Also, there are quite a few different types of magnesium, some are known to cause reactions in some. Not saying you can’t have these forms, just that you must start low and slowly build up. 

Be careful to start low with the epsom salts. It too, can cause reactions. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. Magnesium Citrate can be problematic as well because it comes from fermentation, which means it is high histamine. Although Magnesium Glycinate can be calmative and aid in sleep, it can also be converted into glutamate, and none of us in withdrawal want additional glutamate. Other types are Oxide, Malate, Taurate, Threonate, Chloride, and Orotate. 

I clench my teeth at night due to Benzo withdrawal. I wear a night guard but still have significant pain in my jaw and neck each morning which lasts through the day. Teeth clenching is common in withdrawal so you may want to ask your dentist about a night guard if you continue to have discomfort.  TMJ clenching can affect all those muscles in the area. Hope it settles for you soon. 

1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

I clench my teeth at night due to Benzo withdrawal. I wear a night guard but still have significant pain in my jaw and neck each morning which lasts through the day. Teeth clenching is common in withdrawal so you may want to ask your dentist about a night guard if you continue to have discomfort.  TMJ clenching can affect all those muscles in the area. Hope it settles for you soon. 

I’ve been through  all of that unfortunately but can’t wear the guard. For some reason my brain says nope and I get insanely cotton mouthy and more revved having a foreign object in me. It’s insane! 

I just got this too the last week or so.  I'm 2.5 years out and it's fairly new.  I started freaking out, have been freaking out, am freaking out, about it being something else, like a medical issue.  It's good to know it's not just me.  Anyone else who have it still active here?

59 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I just got this too the last week or so.  I'm 2.5 years out and it's fairly new.  I started freaking out, have been freaking out, am freaking out, about it being something else, like a medical issue.  It's good to know it's not just me.  Anyone else who have it still active here?

I’m almost 5 years and it popped in. My gyn checked my neck and my primary care too. All blood work and all normal. It’s gone and jumps back in randomly. The more attention I give my symptoms the worse they are. 
If you say… wow the brain is powerful and that’s an interesting symptom it’s creating being in a fear state and distract or think of a positive thought and realty FEEL that you are safe and ok… I bet it leaves faster for you!

1 hour ago, [[h...] said:

I’m almost 5 years and it popped in. My gyn checked my neck and my primary care too. All blood work and all normal. It’s gone and jumps back in randomly. The more attention I give my symptoms the worse they are. 
If you say… wow the brain is powerful and that’s an interesting symptom it’s creating being in a fear state and distract or think of a positive thought and realty FEEL that you are safe and ok… I bet it leaves faster for you!

That's good advice.  I was dealing with it somewhat ok, but then read a scary article (I wasn't looking for it.  I don't Google things, I have health anxiety, I know not to do that).  But now I'm hyper focused on it and I think it does make it "worse" yeah.  

4 hours ago, [[h...] said:

I’ve been through  all of that unfortunately but can’t wear the guard. For some reason my brain says nope and I get insanely cotton mouthy and more revved having a foreign object in me. It’s insane! 

Oh so sorry! I have to wear a guard now because I clenched so hard I broke my tooth and had to get it extracted. It could not be saved. I’ve had burning nerve pain all through my body since I detoxed Xanax, and I clenched so much due to the pain so I need to use the night guard now. What horrible things happen because of all this! I hope you feel better soon. 

• Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...

@[ho...]I definitely get this along with tension headaches and jaw pain. My jaw is constantly popping and I’m always clenching. I hope with time this will get better it seems like I’m at the point now where PT makes it worse.