Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Successfully discontinuation of Ambien

[al...]

11 years ago I went through the most horrific withdrawal from Klonopin imaginable. i had been on it for 20 years at 8-12mg a day.  I almost didn't make it.  A reinstatement with a 2 year taper got me through it.  11 years later I decided to take Ambien for some bouts of insomnia I was experiencing.   Two weeks into it and things went real bad. I started getting inter dose withdrawal symptoms.  I tried stopping cold turkey and that's when it really hit the fan.  Kindling , which I did not believe was a a real phenomenon, Is in fact a REAL THING !!  It only took a few weeks for me to have severe withdrawal symptoms. CRAZY!!!  

so I decided to go to a detox facility for a seven day detox using Valium.  I was very fortunate in that it worked.  I was able to get off that poison successfully and have no further withdrawal symptoms. 

Guess I'm posting this to really drive home the point that kindling is a real physiological phenomenon. Once off benzos , I don't believe most of us can ever successfully use them or Z drugs again.  And probably alcohol is off the table for life too. 

Just my two cents from my experience

• Like 1

Happy to hear how fortunate you were getting off the z dugs with the valium in a detox facility.  It's rare I hear of stories like that being successful.

Way to go my friend. You are blessed!

@[al...] how long ago did you enter the detox facility? And how long have you been off Valium? I tried to taper off Ativan in a few weeks and thought I was going to die. I have switched to Valium and  turning a good corner and am about to make my first cut.

I was in the detox facility for eight days.. I’ve been off the Valium for about a week now… Good luck other your taper… Valium a long acting benzo is the best way to taper off these drugs