Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Benzo for MRI while in benzo recovery

[...]

Can anyone who has experienced benzo recovery and had to take a Benzo for an MRI tell me if they had any issues with reinstating afterwards? After tapering Clonazepam for 11 1/2 months and and now in recovery for a total of 14 months the last thing I want to do is extend this living hell because of an occasional benzo needed for a medical issue.

Hello AWB,

Dr. Ashton states that a one off benzo dose for a medical procedure should not be problematic. Other members have remarked they had no lingering issues.

I have had a chronically bad shoulder for years and many surgeries, including a shoulder replacement. I’ve had countless MRI’s. I do not take anything, I opt for the music they provide and choose something calming and serene. During the process I do deep belly breathing and visualize myself in one of my favorite places, the beach in Hawaii. The time passes pretty quickly for me that way.

When is your MRI?

• Like 1

Yeah just recently had an mri. There’s no need to take anything.  Ask for an open mri or a bigger mri. It’s not that big of a deal 

• Like 1

I have also had some MRIs recently and never been offered or would have taken anything. Are you really scared or unable to lie still? In any case, good luck.

Why do you need a Benzo for an MRI? I've had 2 with nothing. Wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, but perfectly manageable without risking a setback.

17 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Why do you need a Benzo for an MRI? I've had 2 with nothing. Wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, but perfectly manageable without risking a setback.

I had a strong claustrophobic reaction to a previous MRI and required a benzo to get through the rest of my MRI's. I was not going through Benzo recovery at the time so I wanted to see if anyone who might have used benzos for an MRI or any other medical procedure had any issues afterwards. Sorry I wasn't very clear.

19 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Hello AWB,

Dr. Ashton states that a one off benzo dose for a medical procedure should not be problematic. Other members have remarked they had no lingering issues.

I have had a chronically bad shoulder for years and many surgeries, including a shoulder replacement. I’ve had countless MRI’s. I do not take anything, I opt for the music they provide and choose something calming and serene. During the process I do deep belly breathing and visualize myself in one of my favorite places, the beach in Hawaii. The time passes pretty quickly for me that way.

When is your MRI?

Sorry to hear about your shoulder problems piangirl. They can be exceptionally painful. I am having shoulder issues as well. Will probably have an MRI in a couple of weeks. I have had to take a benzo for my previous MRI's because I get quite claustrophobic but never during benzo recovery. Just wanted to make sure an occasional benzo for a medical procedure won't cause a setback. I will try an open MRI if available. Thanks for your response. 

18 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I have also had some MRIs recently and never been offered or would have taken anything. Are you really scared or unable to lie still? In any case, good luck.

Thanks cocodot. I get claustrophobic. Needed benzos in the past.

Ooh I see. Well if you are still able to visualize I think pianogirl makes some good points. I would try to go to a safe space in my head. I lost all imagination but I used to imagine a very good time in life when I really felt myself and felt great.

• Like 1

AWB - I hear you about claustrophobia during an MRI.  I experience this too - even in a wide bore MRI machine I have to take lorazepam to get through it. People who don't experience claustrophobia would find it hard to understand that it's not something you can simply power through.   The responses here questioning why anyone would need sedation aren't helpful.

I have had several MRIs while in recovery from benzos and I have had no issues with withdrawal symptoms or any other problems.  As pianogirl notes, Dr. Ashton says there is no ill effect on withdrawal resulting from a one off use of benzos.  

Please don't feel bad about needing sedation for an MRI.  If you need a one off benzo for it, there's every reason to believe you will be fine.

• Love 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:50 PM, [[B...] said:

AWB - I hear you about claustrophobia during an MRI.  I experience this too - even in a wide bore MRI machine I have to take lorazepam to get through it. People who don't experience claustrophobia would find it hard to understand that it's not something you can simply power through.   The responses here questioning why anyone would need sedation aren't helpful.

I have had several MRIs while in recovery from benzos and I have had no issues with withdrawal symptoms or any other problems.  As pianogirl notes, Dr. Ashton says there is no ill effect on withdrawal resulting from a one off use of benzos.  

Please don't feel bad about needing sedation for an MRI.  If you need a one off benzo for it, there's every reason to believe you will be fine.

Thank you very much Brighterday for your response. That is the exact information I was looking for! It is a huge relief to know I won't have any withdrawal issues afterwards. 

I understand your problem. I have had several MRIs and they are not fun. I once asked for an open MRI and it was so much better but not every facility has one. Their music is not that much help to me either (I'm thinking of bringing my own next time, with earbuds). So for my last MRI I just counted backwards from 200. Then when I got to one, I started over. That seemed to help. Good luck, AWB. 

Katz

• Like 1

I had my first claustrophobia attack during my first MRI, having not been given any warning.  It's left me intensely, extremely claustrophobic for 35 years. 

I've been wondering this exact thing.  For MRI's.  Or in case of a claustrophobic panic attack on a long flight.

I have zero interest in updosing - or even holding - am EAGERLY reducing, worried I might taper too fast.

But I've been wondering about "emergencies" - a one off benzo? an ambient? painkiller's are the one thing that don't seem to exacerbate tapers, and they can reduce panic along with pain.

Emergency's happen, I'd rather have a plan in place.

• Like 1