Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Medication for intrusive thoughts / OCD / ROCD?

28 months out- Aware that medication and WD are no go typically however I'm still struggling.

As other symptoms have dropped off and I had thought this one had too at around month 10 only to come back nearly just as savagely 7 months later. I am struggling with it. I didn't have OCD (and now I have ROCD + intrusive thoughts) evil digusting thoughts that make my nauseated and so stressed I cannot think straight. Is there any medication that could actually help someone if its caused by WD? At 28 months, I don't wanna keep this up for another year, I'm burned out. I can't run from my mind, and if someone told me "you're month 7, it will pass," I'd hold my breath but i just dont see how this is going to resolve itself. 

IF anyone has any idea about possible meds or treatment for this please let me know.

• Like 2

Are you currently taking any other medications such as antidepressants?  As you know, trying out a new medication during withdrawal is a tough decision.  It varies so much from one individual to another whether it's helpful or creates a new set of problems. Intrusive, looping thoughts and rumination are very common, miserable withdrawal symptoms. The fact that these symptoms eased up for 7 months and then reappeared makes me wonder if you experienced new stressors preceding their reappearance.  We often see a significant uptick in symptoms linked with stressors of all kinds.  

I know this is so hard - it's frustrating and exhausting how long recovery can take and I hear you that you're worn out after 28 months of this.   I hope someone with experience of medications that helped with similar symptoms will chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

"Aware that medication and WD are no go" - is it written somewhere in the Rules or is it what the BB members have been telling you?

Cause it is a very dangerous statement. Please talk to your pdoc. If you don't have one, find one. This maybe either BZD WD or OCD. Untreated OCD turns life into Hell. 

BZD use and WD exacerbates OCD for sure, but antidepressants are first line of treatment against OCD. Sometimes even accompanied by BZD, to mitigate the "chemical anxiety" some of them induce.

None of us are trained medical professionals, all we can offer is peer support. We cannot determine the exact nature of your intrusive thoughts. If someone tells you: "all psych meds are bad", better run away. Read the rules written by @[Co...] on psych med policy here. 

I'm sorry you're suffering. Intrusive thoughts are nightmare and I've been having them since age 14. Well before the BZD. I am officially diagnosed with OCD since age 18 and have been receiving SSDI the last couple of years. 

I've been on different SSRIs/SNRIs, but fluoxetine (Prozac) is what works best for me. The pros outweigh the cons. This is a very harsh med, but what I have is much worse.

Everyone is different and you may not need an AD at all. It may be BZD WD. But you can make certain only together with a shrink qualified in both BZD and OCD.

There's an excellent book on OCD by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD "Brain Lock, Twentieth Anniversary Edition: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior", you may listen to it on Audible or read on Kindle. 

I wish you all the best. Please hang around. I certainly understand your suffering🤍

Paula

For clarity, I'll add a few quotes/links.

Guidelines - BenzoBuddies Community Forum

(Selected rules)

• Do not promote the use of benzodiazepines within the BenzoBuddies community, as this would undermine our Mission Statement and the goals of the vast majority of our membership.
  • You are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor, anti-psychiatry and/or anti-health care professional propaganda. Nor should you name those involved in your healthcare. For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist, and Anti-medicine Content notice.
  • Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.
  • You may not use the PM (Personal Message) system for withdrawal or taper advice. PMs are primarily intended for moral support, fun, and distraction. Please post your taper plan or withdrawal questions and concerns to the Community forums for wider discussion and feedback.

The following guidelines are not directly relevant to this thread, but I include them for completeness:

General discussion around these matters is not a problem, so long as it is not with the purpose to drive a wedge between members and their healthcare providers / psychiatric care / medicine / treatment / etc.

• Like 1

Gstc, hello .:thumbsup:

During the beginning of my withdrawal and in the first months of abstinence I had many Obsessive thoughts without OCD, thoughts of guilt for almost every act of my life, reminiscing about the past as in an infinite loop... This brought a lot of distress to me leaving me always on constant alert .. Am I going crazy ?? . After discovering this beautiful forum through Dr. Heater Asthon and other research, I also found Jennifer Leigh's blog, who also went through the same symptoms and there in this blog she put all the hell she went through during her withdrawal.. When I read it, it certainly helped me a lot to know how to understand OCD or Ruminating Thought .. Below are some of the Blogs with the subject or part of the subject. I wish you find much comfort and understanding of the symptoms..

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/for-bwd-bind-sufferers/coping-skills/the-dreaded-d-word/

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/for-bwd-bind-sufferers/recovery/life-review-in-benzodiazepine-withdrawal/

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/for-bwd-bind-sufferers/coping-skills/the-layers-of-guilt-in-benzo-withdrawal/

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/for-bwd-bind-sufferers/coping-skills/coping-with-intrusive-thoughts/

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/for-bwd-bind-sufferers/coping-skills/how-to-cope-with-some-of-the-most-intense-symptoms/

Hugs from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...:smitten: