Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

When will I start to feel pleasure again

[be...]

It's been almost eight months since I ended my taper and I still do not feel pleasure, pain or any excitement or anticipation. When will my brain's reward circuits be healed? I do not feel emotions thoroughly and feel limited emotional attachment to people. Not fun symptoms to have.

Hello,

the emotional blunting is common during benzo withdrawal. I had it as well. However, it does go away and all the emotions we feel as humans comes back. I remember clearly two instances. One was while watching a movie, a comedy, that I had seen just for distraction when I was in the thick of things. I know I didn’t find it funny, or laugh. However the second time, farther into my recovery, I laughed and laughed. It was such a pleasure to do this.

The second time was when we were playing a fast and fun game called Catch Phrase with friends. Someone gave a really funny response and I laughed until I cried. It took time, but emotions came back.

• Like 2

It will get better.  I remember posting once that I had heard Stevie wonder's isn't she lovely, and started crying because I recalled hearing it at weddings and I couldn't imagine going to a wedding much less enjoying it.  Well I've been to a wedding and enjoyed it since then so it gets better.  

It might get worse again after that again, but the happiness will come eventually.