Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

What am I doing wrong!!!

[hl...]

Clearly I am doing something wrong! My agoraphobia and overstimulation have not improved in MONTHS. It’s been an entire year since my last dose, and frankly my agoraphobia and overstimulation are probably worse than when I was in acute. Whenever I drive places, my brain starts racing and tingles, I can’t see straight, I feel like I’m on the edge of a panic attack all the time!

most people on this forum seem to be doing quite well at 11 months off, I feel like I’m as screwed as I was in acute. Clearly there is something wrong. I take no medication, I take nothing for anxiety, I don’t take any supplements. I don’t drink caffeine, or soda, or anything with sugar. 

what am I doing wrong!?

why is it that others are so much better than me and I’ve stagnated?? Is this just my life now?? I’m sorry that this sounds super negative, but it’s hard to be happy when you haven’t seen any improvement in over 7 months.

has anyone here actually recovered from agoraphobia? What about overstimulation?

The short and simple answer is you aren’t doing anything wrong. Unfortunately everyone’s timeline for recovering depends on quite a few different variables and most of those are out of our control. I empathize with you as it feels like I’m in the depths of hell during my taper. While I wish I had the ability to take all of our suffering away because this truly is the hardest thing to go through. With your agoraphobia what kind of things scare you the most? If you’re like me I’m sure it’s everything. 

So agree with the above; you are likely doing nothing wrong. It's a time game and I feel a lot like you; not a single window yet in 8 months and my taper was terrible. You just have to hang on and have faith this will improve. I so understand your upset as do many others. You are not alone. 

1 hour ago, [[d...] said:

The short and simple answer is you aren’t doing anything wrong. Unfortunately everyone’s timeline for recovering depends on quite a few different variables and most of those are out of our control. I empathize with you as it feels like I’m in the depths of hell during my taper. While I wish I had the ability to take all of our suffering away because this truly is the hardest thing to go through. With your agoraphobia what kind of things scare you the most? If you’re like me I’m sure it’s everything. 

Whenever I go outside I don’t really feel “afraid” my brain just becomes overstimulated and my mind starts racing and it makes me anxious. The overstimulation hurts and makes me feel like the world isn’t real and I start thinking about how screwed up I am.

all of the stimuli and anxiety makes me want to run home as soon as I can to avoid a full blown panic attack 

@[hl...] the sunlight and heat seem to not be good for me as well, it’s scary. The best thing I can say is try to walk the razor thin line of taking it easy but also trying to heal. Sending prayers!

You are not doing anything wrong. It is so hard not to compare ourselves to others. And it's even more difficult just to 'wait it out' when we are struggling so much. I'm sure things will turn around for you. It's great that you're attempting to get out even though these fears are still present. It can't be easy. Give yourself credit for the courage you are showing. :hug: