Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

From end of taper: How long to heal?

[Bu...]

I haven't asked this before but since I'm nearing the end of my very long and difficult taper: How long will it be till I'm normal again? Honest to God, I'm not the same person I used to be and can't even imagine being so ( I'm so negative and have no personality at all anymore). Thanks.

Hard question to answer, so much depends on what you’re feeling now, can you elaborate?  What are your most pressing symptoms and have they lessened at all as you’ve tapered?

Hi

I’m  just over 7 months off all meds.  From the time of my last dose I noticed a gradual progression of feeling better.  At about the 6 month mark I noticed a marked different.  It was pretty gradual for me.  I’m not 100% but I’m very capable of completely functioning my daily life. 

Keep the faith.

Hello.  I've had every withdrawal symtom under the sun - it's been hell. Now, most of the physical stuff has gone  but there's still the mental stuff like extreme fear, paranoia, and intrusive thoughts. I'm sure many people can relate. I have no personality or I lost what took 60 years to attain. I wonder if I'll be normal again. I can't imagine so. I haven't left the house in 1/2 a year I'm so scared. Frankly, I should have stopped going out way before that but it was my husband's lousy idea.

I noticed that I felt better (fewer lingering s/x) at 6 months also. After about a year I found I could engage in the activities that I'd had to forego during my taper (reading, talking on the phone, watching the news, moderate exercise). And things got better from there. Healed? I don't like that word. It seems too medical . . . or too religious. I simply felt able to function in the world again. Also, I added new activities (like a new business, moved to a new city, made new friends) to my life. And, thanks to therapy, I got a grip on the anxiety that has plagued me all my life. So . . . after a year, things  picked up for me.

Hope this helps,

Katz

• Like 1

I haven't asked this before but since I'm nearing the end of my very long and difficult taper: How long will it be till I'm normal again? Honest to God, I'm not the same person I used to be and can't even imagine being so ( I'm so negative and have no personality at all anymore). Thanks.

Hi. From your signature I understand that you tapered really slowly from 1/2 pill to 1/4 pill. It took you more than 3 years. In your signature you also say that you still have several months to go. I consider that strange because when you kept tapering at the same speed as before it would take you another 3 years. At first you tapered 1/4 pill and now you have to taper again 1/4 pill.

In addition, the last part is often the most difficult so it would not be strange if it would take you more than 3 years to get to 0.

So I wonder if it is a good idea to end your taper so quickly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]