Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trazodone reinstatement and taper? Time Sensitive

[Me...]

Short version: curious if I should reinstate Trazodone and do a taper.

Long version:

My primary symptom has been debilitating insomnia since cold Turkey off of xanax almost 1.5 years ago. I had been taking Trazodone and Gabapentin for sleep for the first 9 months but at the new year had a window that allowed me to abstain from both for a month. Because I was off for a month, I joined a weekend long Ayahuasca ceremony (middle February) which was incredibly helpful for my symptoms and brought my baseline up. The medications are contraindicated for the experience otherwise.

I had such success that I did another weekend long ceremony about a month later (end of March). It further brought up my baseline and I was very happy with where I was at. Toward the end of May, I started to have some rough patches here and there and instead of powering through with the abstinence of sleep meds, I started using Trazodone here and there. This is where I start to really kick myself. I should’ve stayed away. I think I had gotten so enamored with my new baseline of functionality, I wanted to keep up with being “normal” again. Throughout June, I was using it a lot, between 25 and 75 mg most nights. I realized I was getting bad again.

I joined a waitlist for a ceremony (this weekend) but the list was so long, I didn’t expect to be admitted. On Sunday, I was offered a spot. Eager for more great results, I joined, forgetting I had been taking Trazodone.  I informed my practitioner I had been taking it, wouldn’t take it for the remainder of the week, and that I planned on doing at least one if not two sessions of Kambo in the days leading up to the ceremony for its detoxification purposes. She said because I was planning to do the Kambo, I should be fine.

For the last few days that I haven’t been using Trazodone, my sleep issues have been severely ramped up in a way that they have not been in a very long time. I’m not sure if I were to let this play out, if this would be a blip on the nonlinear trajectory, or a debilitating set back.

I’m torn because I’ve seen the consistent positive results from this experience and I know that it would help with where I’m at, but how much given how ramped up my sleep symptoms are? Will it bring me back to the baseline i was at before the new year because I’ve brought myself to such a low point with stopping Trazodone abruptly? Or should I reinstate for a taper in hopes I arrive more at the baseline of this earlier summer/spring and hope that doing another ceremony eventually continues to add to that? And that’s all making a lot of  assumptions of the outcome of either scenario.

The ceremony is in less than 24 hours (I’ve done my two kambo sessions). If I pull out, I believe I eat the deposit cost. But my greatest concerns is that I don’t want to miss an opportunity with something that has consistently brought me great healing… I just don’t know if I’ve put myself in a significant setback that I still have the opportunity to resolve if I reinstate… or at least I believe. I’ve never tapered or reinstated for a taper before. I know little about it. But I have cold Turkey we before and suffered the consequences.

I greatly appreciate any insight.

I also was very shy about posting this for fear of backlash about psychedelics and unconventional ordeal medicines. I have been wanting to post a nuanced, unprovocative, detailed post about my experiences with year and other similar experiences over the course of my benzo ordeal but have not done so yet. I still plan to do so but in the meantime need this more immediate advice on reinstating/tapering. I hope that anyone who reads this clearly sees that I am not promoting these methods to anyone else; I am simply aware that they work for me and my physical and mental well-being (with a trusted, well respected group in a location where it’s decriminalized). Any response to that side of things, I will have to respond to at a later date as I am completely concerned with making an informed, last minute decision about reinstating/tapering.

Thank you for considering where I’m at.

Respectfully.

Personally I think whichever you do, you need to commit. You can't keep using it a little and then stopping. That way you're getting all of the cons and none of the pros.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [so...]
    • [cr...]
    • [Ca...]
    • [ba...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [...]
    • [El...]
    • [je...]
    • [...]
    • [He...]