Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Just thought I'd drop by and give a positive update. I've been off valium for 2.5 months now. Which is by far the longest 'hold' I've done. It has been very tough going but I've noticed in the past few days I've had some pretty great improvements. The shocking intrusive and ocd thoughts I've been having have diminished. When I'm alone they still get on top of me but at work when I'm busy I've noticed a big improvement. The thoughts aren't attacking me as much to the point where I'm now completely forgetting my SFXS. Actually the last two nights at home by myself have been a lot better too. I'm starting to think about other stuff more rather than the same negative looping thoughts. Hoping they keep clearing up but this is definitely the best I've felt in about 8 months.

Hope everyone is going okay.

Ok here's a question that I found answers to on the "alternative therapies and supplements" forum board.  But the answers are so technical that I don't understand them. Maybe you ladies and gents can help me figure things out.

MY QUESTION IS...IS IT OK TO TAKE L-THEANINE AT BED TIME TO HELP SLEEP?

On the other boards they  talk about PAMs and NAMs and other things about "Gaabar". They said PAMS SHOULD NOT BE USED DURING WITHDRAWAL, ( i think!)

On Other boards some say L- Theanine is a PAM and some say it is NOT a PAM.

There is some diff opinions as to whether it is an "antagonist"? Or something like that.

I have no idea what they are talking about.

All I want is a straight forward nontechnical answer. IF THERE IS ANY SCIENTIFIC TRUE ANSWER OR IS THIS JUST Opinions?

The thing is, I have been taking 100mg of L- Theanine at bedtime. WHEN I CAME ACROSS THESE THINGS ABOUT L- THEANINE, IT got me thinking. Oops, is this ok?

I don't see any bad reactions at all in me , but if it definitely is hurting my withdrawal without me knowing it, I will surely stop.

So are there any of you who can help me know more about this L Theanine ?

Heathcliff

Hey Shamo, I'm glad you are doing so well! Your journey from the 7.5 mg mark to jumping , I see took about 17 months.

I know everyone is different but it kind of gives me a framework of about how long it might take me .. I started at 7.5 back at the end of Februray 2016. I hope I can do as well as you. I just can't wait to get off of this poison but I know I can't rush it.

Congratulations on your successful journey! I hope it continues to progress smoothly and you are 100% free of all side effects and are back to your pre benzo self in no time. Free and clear and happy!

Heathcliff

Heathcliff either you have read my sig wrong or I have a typo. (In Australia we write they day first of the date, then month, then year). The taper from 10mg V to 0 took me 9 months in total. I went from 10mg down to 2.5mg very quickly...in about 2 months. And I was absolutely fine after I stabilised each cut. It was the last 2.5mg that sent me to hell. It took me another 7 months to get off from there.

Crazy how I could get through 7.5mg in 2 months yet only able to absolutely crawl off the last 2.5mg. I think it was due to the fact that once I got down to that low amount, I was pretty much in acute.

Oh, I guess the way you write the dates in Australia got me messed up.

I too got from 7.5 to 1.25 easily, but then got really bad effects at 1.25

Now I am crawling and will probably also have to take many many months more  to get off the last 1.25. 

I'm now at 1.2 and still crawling.

All the best!

Heathcliff

Yes for whatever reason I was lucky at the start of my taper. I was cutting off chunks of 2.5 (before I knew what the reccomendation of cut % was) every fortnight and would completely stabilise and be fine after. So i guess that quick start was an advantage. I thought it was gonna be easy. Boy was I wrong.

I didnt see it as quick though. The last 9 months have been pure hell.

Just thought I'd drop by and give a positive update. I've been off valium for 2.5 months now. Which is by far the longest 'hold' I've done. It has been very tough going but I've noticed in the past few days I've had some pretty great improvements. The shocking intrusive and ocd thoughts I've been having have diminished. When I'm alone they still get on top of me but at work when I'm busy I've noticed a big improvement. The thoughts aren't attacking me as much to the point where I'm now completely forgetting my SFXS. Actually the last two nights at home by myself have been a lot better too. I'm starting to think about other stuff more rather than the same negative looping thoughts. Hoping they keep clearing up but this is definitely the best I've felt in about 8 months.

Hope everyone is going okay.

That's great Shamo! :thumbsup:

Ok here's a question that I found answers to on the "alternative therapies and supplements" forum board.  But the answers are so technical that I don't understand them. Maybe you ladies and gents can help me figure things out.

MY QUESTION IS...IS IT OK TO TAKE L-THEANINE AT BED TIME TO HELP SLEEP?

On the other boards they  talk about PAMs and NAMs and other things about "Gaabar". They said PAMS SHOULD NOT BE USED DURING WITHDRAWAL, ( i think!)

On Other boards some say L- Theanine is a PAM and some say it is NOT a PAM.

There is some diff opinions as to whether it is an "antagonist"? Or something like that.

I have no idea what they are talking about.

All I want is a straight forward nontechnical answer. IF THERE IS ANY SCIENTIFIC TRUE ANSWER OR IS THIS JUST Opinions?

The thing is, I have been taking 100mg of L- Theanine at bedtime. WHEN I CAME ACROSS THESE THINGS ABOUT L- THEANINE, IT got me thinking. Oops, is this ok?

I don't see any bad reactions at all in me , but if it definitely is hurting my withdrawal without me knowing it, I will surely stop.

So are there any of you who can help me know more about this L Theanine ?

Heathcliff

Hi Heath. This is the same as the food issue. If it doesn't effect you negatively then it should be fine. I've used l-theanine and haven't noticed any adverse reactions.  --V

Doing well here.  I am glad to hear that both you and Lynn are also doing well.  How is everyone else doing? 

Lovely weekend here. This weather is perfect.

Anne

[06...]