Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Put on your thinking caps! It's question and answer time.

[...]

Who painted "The Persistence of Memory" featuring melting pocket watches?

Someone 'outstanding in their field', would best describe, who?

What the heck is chicken-fried steak, it sure doesn't look like chicken?

What food was invented in a sanatorium in 1890?

Blue, red, green, and yellow are the colors of the Olympic rings, what color is missing? 

What male human feature was taxed in Elizabethian times?

Who is outstanding in their field?-A farmer :crazy:

Salvador Dali did the painting. He has a lot of work in the museum in Indianapolis.

I have an "out standing in my field" t-shirt. Got it as a promotion gift at work a few years ago. Cute....

Chicken-fried steak - you have to be kidding.

Sanatorium food...

Black is missing on the Olympic rings.

I think the beard was taxed.

Thank the good Lord for the farmers, who when they are not out standing in their field, are milking the cows.

The food invented in a sanatorium was Kellogg's corn flakes, you're right on all the others, hanna :)

hanna, here's a recipe for chicken-fried steak.....not for people who want to eat healthy

Ingredients

1 pound boneless beef top loin 2 cups shortening 1 egg, beaten 1 cup buttermilk salt and pepper to taste 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1 cup all-purpose flour  1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 quart milk salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cut top loin crosswise into 4 (4 ounce) cutlets. Using a glancing motion, pound each cutlet thinly with a moistened mallet or the side of a cleaver.

In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/2 inch shortening to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).

While the shortening is heating, prepare cutlets. In a shallow bowl, beat together egg, buttermilk, salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, mix together garlic powder and 1cup flour. Dip cutlets in flour, turning to evenly coat both sides. Dip in egg mixture, coating both sides, then in flour mixture once again.

Place cutlets in heated shortening. Cook until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Drain grease, reserving 1/2 cup.

Using the reserved drippings in the pan, prepare gravy over medium heat. Blend in 1/4 cup flour to form a paste. Gradually add milk to desired consistency, stirring constantly. For a thicker gravy add less milk; for a thinner gravy stir in more. Heat through, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken fried steak.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [ha...]

• [cu...]

• [ar...]

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG - more weight in shortening than in beef!!! But thanks for the recipe. Have you ever made it????

jrvmc got the "outstanding in their field" one - let's hear it for farmers!!!!!

OMG - more weight in shortening than in beef!!! But thanks for the recipe. Have you ever made it????

Way to go jrvmc :)  I like farmers, I like to eat!

Never tried it hanna, I try to eat healthy....too much chicken-fried steak is a recipe for a heart attack ???

Way to go jrvmc :)  I like farmers, I like to eat!

Never tried it hanna, I try to eat healthy....too much chicken-fried steak is a recipe for a heart attack ???

Me, too, especially the stuff they grow! :)

After watching some of the Republican presidential candidate's debate last night I just had to post the following:

A man went in for a brain transplant operation and was offered a choice of two brains by the surgeon. He could choose either the Architect's brain which would cost him $10,000 or the Politician's which was $100,000.

"Does that mean that the politician's brain is much better than the Architect's?" exclaimed the clearly puzzled man.

"not exactly" replied the surgeon, "the politician's has never been used."

What is a politician's favorite color?

Hanna,

The voice is like any instrument and needs to be practiced regularly.  There are excersises to do to help with range, tone quality and depth.  All voices will age as as they age they will drop and yes crack when trying to reach notes that were possible in the past.  I love that Halleluia, I had seen it before.  I have so much of it memorized from singing it so many time but I think I need to sing alto now instead of soprano.  :-[

After watching some of the Republican presidential candidate's debate last night I just had to post the following:

A man went in for a brain transplant operation and was offered a choice of two brains by the surgeon. He could choose either the Architect's brain which would cost him $10,000 or the Politician's which was $100,000.

"Does that mean that the politician's brain is much better than the Architect's?" exclaimed the clearly puzzled man.

Is a politicians favortie color GREEN, cause he needs all those greenbacks!!!!

Hanna,

The voice is like any instrument and needs to be practiced regularly.  There are excersises to do to help with range, tone quality and depth.  All voices will age as as they age they will drop and yes crack when trying to reach notes that were possible in the past.  I love that Halleluia, I had seen it before.  I have so much of it memorized from singing it so many time but I think I need to sing alto now instead of soprano.  :-[

Is a politicians favortie color GREEN, cause he needs all those greenbacks!!!!

It's actually plaid because they  have a hard time committing to just one thing.......Yep, they do like all that green that flies their way.

Monday's questions:

Is a French poodle  French?

Who started the weird way that tennis scored: 15, 30, 40 , love ??

Where did the word "mogul" come from?

Au Revoir friends,

PG

Hi Pianogirl,

Thanks for info on singing! I love to sing, but voice has been really terrible for a year. Now, I will go back to singing in the shower, which never hurts anyone, and singing my alto level. Like you, I was a soprano, then seemed to go really low then back up to alto after taking thyroid meds. Low thyroxine can drop the voice, so mine came "up" to alto level after thyroid meds. Just want to thank you for your music enthusiasm and knowledge. You have helped me want to listen to music again and sing my unsung voice!  :yippee:    :thumbsup:

A French poodle is  really a French puddle - from Germany. They still like water.

Tennis scoring is weird - looking forward to the answer.

Do moguls come from Mongolia?    :idiot:

Hi Pianogirl,

Thanks for info on singing! I love to sing, but voice has been really terrible for a year. Now, I will go back to singing in the shower, which never hurts anyone, and singing my alto level. Like you, I was a soprano, then seemed to go really low then back up to alto after taking thyroid meds. Low thyroxine can drop the voice, so mine came "up" to alto level after thyroid meds. Just want to thank you for your music enthusiasm and knowledge. You have helped me want to listen to music again and sing my unsung voice!  :yippee:    :thumbsup:

A French poodle is  really a French puddle - from Germany. They still like water.

Tennis scoring is weird - looking forward to the answer.

Do moguls come from Mongolia?    :idiot:

Hanna,

I am so happy to see how you are enjoying music. Hey, even I sound good in the shower these days.  :D

You are so right about the poodle.

Tennis scoring started in France at monasteries.  It was orginally 15, 30, 45.  I don't know how it got changed to 40.  I miss playing tennis so much, soon I hope ????

Mogul came from the Austrian word "mugel" which means small hill.  I love skiing moguls and so miss it.  I was really hoping to get back on the slopes this year.  I wish these physical sxs would let me.  :(

Hugs,

PG  :smitten:

This one is from my 7 year old niece....Why couldn't they play cards on the Ark?

What color is cerulean?

What is the world's tallest grass?

What crime did Therea Vaughn commit 62 times in five years?

What three counties were Eliza Doolittle taught to pronounce in the movie, "My Fair Lady"

Words that are spelled the same, pronounced differently, and have different meanings are known as what?......example, tear 

And the tallest grass is bamboo??

pj; sounds like you are getting your niece started early!

Yes, it is bamboo.

She is sweet as can be and the love of my life........Why couldn't they play cards on the Ark?.....because Noah was standing on the deck :laugh:

The crime  Theresa Vaughn committed was  bigamy

Yes, 62 times in five years ???

What president was the teddy bear named after?

Who described his paintings as "hand-painted dream photographs?

What president was the teddy bear named after? Teddy Roosevelt

Who described his paintings as "hand-painted dream photographs? Salvador Dali?

What president was the teddy bear named after? Teddy Roosevelt

Who described his paintings as "hand-painted dream photographs? Salvador Dali?

Very good honeym :)

How often should you check the air pressure in your car tires?

On average, How often should the serpentine belt be replaced in your car?

Pancho Villa was a revolutionary in what country?

Who was Axle Rose's famous singer father-in-law?

How often should you check the air pressure in your car tires?  Usually once a month, but you should check and change it if you are expecting to be driving in changing conditions - e.g. major off road, long distances in heat, very heavy load.

On average, How often should the serpentine belt be replaced in your car?  Whenever the snake gets out from under the hood, it should be replaced by a new one    :D   

Honestly don't know. I don't think you want to change it very often as it is pretty expensive. Maybe just when it shows signs of wear.

For the other answers - over to someone else.

Pancho Villa was a revolutionary in what country? Mexico

Who was Axle Rose's famous singer father-in-law? Don Everly of the Everly Brothers

How often should you check the air pressure in your car tires?  Usually once a month, but you should check and change it if you are expecting to be driving in changing conditions - e.g. major off road, long distances in heat, very heavy load.

On average, How often should the serpentine belt be replaced in your car?  Whenever the snake gets out from under the hood, it should be replaced by a new one    :D   

Honestly don't know. I don't think you want to change it very often as it is pretty expensive. Maybe just when it shows signs of wear.

For the other answers - over to someone else.

hanna, you sure know your car stuff, but be careful when you open up the hood so that snake doesn't bite you :o

The serpentine belt, aka the snake belt  ;) should be good for 50,000 miles.

Pancho Villa was a revolutionary in what country? Mexico

Who was Axle Rose's famous singer father-in-law? Don Everly of the Everly Brothers

Welcome paisley,

You are 100% correct :)

Should a young child be given aspirin?

Is it true that grapes, balloons, and hotdogs are some of the worst choking hazards for kids?

Who replaced Mary Robinson as president of Ireland in 1997?

What animal does cashmere come from?