Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Put on your thinking caps! It's question and answer time.

[...]

Since I generally have no knowledge left at this point, I just make pointless guesses!

1.  Who was the voice of E.T.? I have no idea.

2.  What inspired the invention of the microwave? It wasn't my mom because she thinks they still cause cancer. Your "friend" from the dollar store and his microwaveable pizzas might be a good guess. It's probably a sciency answer that I should know.

3.  What country contains the most English speakers? I think either India or China. But my final answer is India.

4.  What is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiakitnatahu? Either a dumb password that a dumb website made me use for "security reasons," the name of a Peruvian volcano, or the result of what happens when one of my rabbits jumps on the keyboard when I have a document open?

5.  How long is a goldfish's memory span? It must be longer than mine. Which at present, is about an hour.

Thanks everyone for posting these! I hope you don't mind the humorous guesses. At attempt at even a humorous guess keeps my brain cells working and is more fun than using Google to actually look up answers, which I would feel unethical in doing!

W3I, how are you holding up lately? Did you have a good holiday?

Hugs,

marie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [ha...]

• [cu...]

• [ar...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I generally have no knowledge left at this point, I just make pointless guesses!

1.  Who was the voice of E.T.? I have no idea.  Deborah Winger

2.  What inspired the invention of the microwave? It wasn't my mom because she thinks they still cause cancer. HA HA Your "friend" from the dollar store and his microwaveable pizzas might be a good guess. <--ROFL It's probably a sciency answer that I should know.[/color]<--The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket

3.  What country contains the most English speakers? I think either India or China. But my final answer is India.[/color]<--EXCELLENT guess and you were so very close, it was China

4.  What is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiakitnatahu? Either a dumb password that a dumb website made me use for "security reasons,"<-Can't imagine it would get many hits huh? lol the name of a Peruvian volcano, or the result of what happens when one of my rabbits jumps on the keyboard when I have a document open?[/color]<--You are too funny! Wrong country and a bit smaller than a volcano, but again, a tremendous guess! It's a hill in New Zealand

5.  How long is a goldfish's memory span? It must be longer than mine. Which at present, is about an hour.[/color]<--Actually you are superior to a goldfish, who's memoery apparently is only 3 seconds.

Thanks everyone for posting these! I hope you don't mind the humorous guesses. At attempt at even a humorous guess keeps my brain cells working and is more fun than using Google to actually look up answers, which I would feel unethical in doing!<-Humor, brilliance AND ethics..who knew? :)

W3I, how are you holding up lately? Did you have a good holiday?<-Marie,  have I told you lately how much I  :smitten: you? Your scewed perspective gets me through my days :) Hugs,

marie

Wow.

Didn't know ostrich eggs weighed 3 pounds. Big breakfast. And I didn't know pj knew so much about chickens......the truth comes out.

I want to know if they have the name of that hill on a sign!!!!

Can you imagine having a chocolate bar melt in your pocket. Yuck.

I, like Marie, can now boast that my memory is better than that of a goldfish. Try to be positive, eh?  :yippee:

Now I wonder who did the experiment and how did he or she do it.

I like the funny answers, too. It is so much nicer than taking or giving real exams!!!!! Much more fun reading, too.

Hmmmm.

Some more questions. How about an animal theme:

Which elephants have bigger ears - African or Indian?

Why do mother zebras keep their babies away from the herd for about 3 days?

Where can you find a flightless cormorant?

What is the tallest breed of dog?

Does a sloth have any symptoms of anxiety when hung in a tree in a strange place?

What always ends everything?

What is the substance produced by hard exercise and oxygen debt, causing stiffness in the muscles?

What hormones help control ovulation?

The pituitary controls many hormones, but what controls the pituitary?

Complete this: A taste of your --- --------

"Knights in White Satin "was a hit for what band?

Who was the headless horseman after in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?

Hi hanna,    we posted at the same time. :)

What always ends everything?  The letter g

What is the substance produced by hard exercise and oxygen debt, causing stiffness in the muscles? Lactic acid.

What type of exercise are you doing if you are working without oxygen??

Are your muscles damaged more by running up hill or running down hill?

What hormones help control ovulation? a bunch. MAYBE: Gonadotrophic releasing hormones, leutenizing hormones and there is another one.

The pituitary controls many hormones, but what controls the pituitary?  Yikes: the brain stem? Cerebellum? Hypothalamus?

Complete this: A taste of your --- --------    own medicine.

"Knights in White Satin "was a hit for what band?  I am a self-professed nerd - HELP WWWI and Marie!!!!!

What is the substance produced by hard exercise and oxygen debt, causing stiffness in the muscles? Lactic acid.

What hormones help control ovulation? a bunch. MAYBE: Gonadotrophic releasing hormones, leutenizing hormones and there is another one.

The pituitary controls many hormones, but what controls the pituitary?  Yikes: the brain stem? Cerebellum? Hypothalamus?

"Knights in White Satin "was a hit for what band?  I am a self-professed nerd - HELP WWWI and Marie!!!!!

I KNOW THAT ONE. I KNOW THAT ONE!!! Moody Blues

I however knew NONE of the others!  Good job Hanna!!

pj, that is good - questions for everyone

Laughed about your birthday wishes - 6 months out - so you were early and late!

I KNOW THAT ONE. I KNOW THAT ONE!!! Moody Blues

I however knew NONE of the others!  Good job Hanna!!

Good job guys :thumbsup:

hanna, i'm going to have to come up with some harder questions, you are just too darn smart ;)

Here's one relevent to New Years Eve in NYC; What is the current Times Square ball made of?

Yeah Team!!! Thanks WWWI!!!  Good one!

Now, what runs the pituitary? I didn't know that one!

And who can go back and answer my animal questions?

Not that smart, pj; you just picked areas (anatomy, physiology and especially muscles) that I have studied a lot.  :D  And before that, it was Canada - and most of us up here know about polar bears in Churchill and marijuana in Flin Flon  :yippee: - from a distance, of course - but you have really caught me up on some of those, too. And chickens - well there is a disaster of a black hole of no answers from me. Also, now I will try to be more ethical, like Marie, because I had to look up the gonadatrophin one, because I wasn't sure.

Pianogirl - interesting about the Times Square Ball. No idea about the ball in NY. Do they put it up there every year or does it just hang around on top of a building?  I really don't know....  Also, if this is the current one, what happened to the other ones?? Again - I don't know, just curious....

Darnit! I had to be productive for a few minutes and didn't get a few goofy answers in!

I don't know what the ball is made of. I think it should be made of chocolate chip cookie dough. Imagine how awesome that would be to see a giant ball of cookie dough descending from the sky to ring in the new year. And then the the crowds could converge and eat it!

I'm going to have to ponder Hanna's animal questions. It took me a few minutes to realize that a sloth was something different than a slug, because I was wondering if slugs got anxiety. Do slugs get anxiety?

I will have to dust off my geophysics degree and start thinking of some geology questions to ask. Unfortunately that requires that I utilize my goldfish-like memory in order to try and recall the answers!

What was the United States' first nuclear test called?

What is the softest mineral? Hardest mineral?

The media, when reporting about earthquakes, likes to say an earthquake was X magnitude on the Richter scale. Technically, the Richter magnitude scale only defines earthquake magnitudes where?

Did we get an answer on the pituitary? I was going to say GABA receptors or else the appendix [it has to be used for something, right?].

I think its made of Waterford crystal. I heard they are trying to be really green this year so maybe led lights.

Yeah Team!!! Thanks WWWI!!!  Good one!

Now, what runs the pituitary? I didn't know that one!

And who can go back and answer my animal questions?

Not that smart, pj; you just picked areas (anatomy, physiology and especially muscles) that I have studied a lot.  :D  And before that, it was Canada - and most of us up here know about polar bears in Churchill and marijuana in Flin Flon  :yippee: - from a distance, of course - but you have really caught me up on some of those, too. And chickens - well there is a disaster of a black hole of no answers from me. Also, now I will try to be more ethical, like Marie, because I had to look up the gonadatrophin one, because I wasn't sure.

Pianogirl - interesting about the Times Square Ball. No idea about the ball in NY. Do they put it up there every year or does it just hang around on top of a building?  I really don't know....  Also, if this is the current one, what happened to the other ones?? Again - I don't know, just curious....

That's right pianogirl, it is made of Waterford Crystal......I think i read somewhere that the lights are the halogen type.  Happy New Year!

hanna, the ball remains on a pole year round.  The other 5 balls probably got broken, just quessing, because the tradition of the ball is over 100 years old.

The Hypothalamus controls the pituitary......Hanna i study a lot of books on anatomy, i find it facinating.......I will try to answer a couple of your animal questions.

Hmmmm.

Some more questions. How about an animal theme:

Which elephants have bigger ears - African or Indian?

Why do mother zebras keep their babies away from the herd for about 3 days?

Where can you find a flightless cormorant?

What is the tallest breed of dog?

Does a sloth have any symptoms of anxiety when hung in a tree in a strange place?

I think the Great Dane is the tallest dog

Is the cormorant found near Ecuador?

Maria, I will let you answer the others, with your unique sense of humor, your answers should be lots of fun to read.

Hi,

Interesting about the NY ball. 100 years - had no idea. Happy New Year to everyone as well!

Close, but the tallest dog isn't the Great Dane (but they are huge!), it is the Irish Wolfhound. We had one when I was a kid, but she was little - a 120 lb. female that would sit in front of you, when you were sitting on a chair and be able to look down at you. Gentle giants.

Yes for the cormorant - it is in the Galapagos Islands, which are about 500 miles off the coast of Ecuador and owned by Ecuador.  Good one!!!!

Indian elephants have smaller ears, but they are better tempered, so for all the old African movies (Tarzan  :D ), they used Indian elephants and pasted big ears on them - now THAT is trivia!

The female elephant keeps the baby away so she can memorize her baby's stripes.

The poor little sloth doesn't move, but it's heart rate goes up. Empathy for the sloth in this group, that's for sure.

Hypothalamus, eh? Will have to get back to my neuroanatomy. I didn't like learning about that as much as anatomy, especially at the beginning - was hard to see it in 3-D.

Okay, so some anatomy questions:

Where is the quadriceps muscle and what does it do?

Why are plantar warts called "plantar"?

What is the corpus callosum?

Where are your phalanges?

OK, here goes

The quadriceps is the thigh muscle and it helps us climb.

Planters warts are called that because once they plant themselves they are hard as hell to get rid of.  :D

Phalanges are fingers or toes or both, but not sure.

Yeah Pianogirl.  ;)  :yippee:    ;)

Yes, the quadriceps help us climb!!!

Plantar warts do plant themselves there (ugh) and they are also warts on the plantar surface, or bottom, of the foot.

Yes, phalanges are fingers and toes. Why they don't just call them fingers and toes - I just don't know. It would be so much easier....

Darnit! I had to be productive for a few minutes and didn't get a few goofy answers in!

I don't know what the ball is made of. I think it should be made of chocolate chip cookie dough. Imagine how awesome that would be to see a giant ball of cookie dough descending from the sky to ring in the new year. And then the the crowds could converge and eat it!

I'm going to have to ponder Hanna's animal questions. It took me a few minutes to realize that a sloth was something different than a slug, because I was wondering if slugs got anxiety. Do slugs get anxiety?

I will have to dust off my geophysics degree and start thinking of some geology questions to ask. Unfortunately that requires that I utilize my goldfish-like memory in order to try and recall the answers!

What was the United States' first nuclear test called?

What is the softest mineral? Hardest mineral?

The media, when reporting about earthquakes, likes to say an earthquake was X magnitude on the Richter scale. Technically, the Richter magnitude scale only defines earthquake magnitudes where?

Did we get an answer on the pituitary? I was going to say GABA receptors or else the appendix [it has to be used for something, right?].

On the mineral question, i think the softest has to be gypsum or talc, and the hardest has to be diamonds.

Is the answer to the Richter scale question the epicenter?

I think the first nuclear test  had a religious name or conotation, can't recall the name.

Which weather phenomenon translates from the Spanish for 'little boy'?

How many people take part in the dance of a quadrille?

What is the name of a poker hand containing three of a kind and a pair?

I have to ask this one again because i love saying it...What is a hemidemisemiquaver?

Please have a safe, happy, and relaxing NewYears Eve. 

Which weather phenomenon translates from the Spanish for 'little boy'?  El Nino

How many people take part in the dance of a quadrille?  four

What is the name of a poker hand containing three of a kind and a pair? flush?

I have to ask this one again because i love saying it...What is a hemidemisemiquaver? music ?

Unfortunately,the appendix does not do anything for us at all  :'( 

What is the name of a part of the body, like the appendix, that doesn't do anything?

What does the appendix do in a horse?

Geophysics! Okay. There will definitely be goldfish brain answers from me  :D

What is the name of a part of the body, like the appendix, that doesn't do anything?

What is the name of a part of the body, like the appendix, that doesn't do anything?  On me it

could be my brain ???

What does the appendix do in a horse?  Don't know, does it give him his giddy-up?.........hanna, happy new year, there actually is a breed of horse called the Appendix :laugh:

What are the three basic types of rocks?

Of what do we have 52 in a lifetime, 20 of which are deciduous?

Which gland excretes the corticosteroids?

Where would you find the cartoid arteries?

When using a Neti Pot, which types of water, should only be used?

What is the name of a part of the body, like the appendix, that doesn't do anything?  On me it

could be my brain ???

What does the appendix do in a horse?  Don't know, does it give him his giddy-up?.........hanna, happy new year, there actually is a breed of horse called the Appendix :laugh:

The only

could be my brain ???

The only type of rock I remember from long ago college geology classes is: igneous.  Possible metamorphic, just a guess

If you've read any of Perse's posts: the pituitary secretes corticosteroids.

The carotid artery is in the neck.

You should only use purified, distilled water in a neti pot unless you want an amoeba to set up residence in your brain.  My brain has enough to deal with right now. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Happy New Year PJ

HI,

Sorry it is your brain. I hope you can join me and Marie and exceeding the goldfish memory!

The appendix is a vestigial organ.

The appendix helps a horse digest grass. Didn't know there was a horse type called appendix. Too funny.

I think Pianogirl got two out of three rocks. Is the third conglomerate?

We have 52 teeth, with 20 being deciduous.

Which weather phenomenon translates from the Spanish for 'little boy'?  El Nino

How many people take part in the dance of a quadrille?  four

What is the name of a poker hand containing three of a kind and a pair? flush?

I have to ask this one again because i love saying it...What is a hemidemisemiquaver? music ?

Hi honeym,

The poker hand is a full house

El nino is right

you are right, a hemidemisemiquaver has to do with music.....it is 1/64 of a note :o

Happy new year to you, honeym :)

HI,

Sorry it is your brain. I hope you can join me and Marie and exceeding the goldfish memory!

The appendix is a vestigial organ.

The appendix helps a horse digest grass. Didn't know there was a horse type called appendix. Too funny.

I think Pianogirl got two out of three rocks. Is the third conglomerate?

We have 52 teeth, with 20 being deciduous.

I am not certain, but I think an Appendix horse is the off-spring of a quarter horse and a thoroughbred.

The third rock is sedimentary

I hope people are aware of the neti pot issue.....to use tap water is a no, no

Happy new year to you too, pianogirl

What animal does cashmere come from?

What does MIT stand for?

What does C stand for in Roman Numerals?

Where did the word, VitaMeataVegimin come from?

Al Capone was finally nailed for what crime?

Where was Alcatraz prison located?

Hi,

Interesting about the NY ball. 100 years - had no idea. Happy New Year to everyone as well!

Close, but the tallest dog isn't the Great Dane (but they are huge!), it is the Irish Wolfhound. We had one when I was a kid, but she was little - a 120 lb. female that would sit in front of you, when you were sitting on a chair and be able to look down at you. Gentle giants.

Yes for the cormorant - it is in the Galapagos Islands, which are about 500 miles off the coast of Ecuador and owned by Ecuador.  Good one!!!!

Indian elephants have smaller ears, but they are better tempered, so for all the old African movies (Tarzan  :D ), they used Indian elephants and pasted big ears on them - now THAT is trivia!

The female elephant keeps the baby away so she can memorize her baby's stripes.

The poor little sloth doesn't move, but it's heart rate goes up. Empathy for the sloth in this group, that's for sure.

Hypothalamus, eh? Will have to get back to my neuroanatomy. I didn't like learning about that as much as anatomy, especially at the beginning - was hard to see it in 3-D.

Okay, so some anatomy questions:

Where is the quadriceps muscle and what does it do?

Why are plantar warts called "plantar"?

What is the corpus callosum?

Where are your phalanges?

Dear Hanna:

You statement about the Irish Wolfhound being the tallest reminded me of something.  My next door neighbors had an Irish Wolfhound, one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen.  Like a big, fuzzy bear.  I have a doxi mix named Taco, who is really a character.  His legs are about 4 or 5 inches long.  When my neighbors would bring their dog outside to talk I would also bring Taco.  Their dog would pee on the tree in the front yard, and then Taco would attempt to pee over the same spont.  Unfortunately, their dog's pee spot would be about 2 feet taller than Taco.  Then he would run around underneath their dog trying to get his attention.  It was really funny.

I haven't checked to see what is up with the goldfish, but if Marie is involved it has to be funny!

Love,

Jenn