Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

A hot dog and a sweet yesterday, and a horrible flu like day!

[Ga...]

Can enjoying one little hotdog and one little sweet yesterday leave me feeling extremely benzo flu-like today?  Really feeling rotten with headache, sickish stomach, and flu like symptoms :tickedoff:  lights, camera, action........thoughts :D

Hello Gardenguru

Well, if you want an answer to your question you will need to wait until you get better and have another hotdog and little sweet and see if it leads to another wave the day after. And to get a really convincing answer you would probably need to repeat the experiment a third time...

Personally, I have given up trying to establish causality between what I eat and waves. Waves (and windows!) are so random in nature that it's a near impossible task. I'm just avoiding caffeine, alcohol and MSG and that's about it. And even then, I avoid those things mostly out of fear not because I experimented them (note that I had a double-espresso 3 weeks after jumping and it wasn't glorious but then again it could have been something else!).

One day, once I have recovered properly, I will slowly reintroduce caffeine and then alcohol. One day...

SG

That seems to be the question that is asked a lot, and the same response it generates is like yours....how do we really know what causes a wave?  Food, drink, stress, weather changes, etc.?  I also try to stay away from MSG, alcohol, and caffeine.  Today my symptoms are so bad that I am almost hoping the food caused it, and I will, therefore, feel better soon.  Thanks for weighing in. 

Agree with SurryGuy.  Alcohol is the only thing I steadfastly avoid.  Still drink a little coffee, but notice it does rev me a bit. 

I experimented with Vitamin D.  Took it once and my face turned red, increased anxiety, and bone pain.  Thought maybe coincidental and gave it another shot a few days later.  Same thing happened.  Don't think I'll line up for the clincher.  :laugh:

I used to doubt people's reactions to so many and varied things, now I'm not so sure.  Ashton talks about chemical and food sensitivity I believe. 

So many have food sensitivities in recovery.

Preservatives (like msg) are the devil for most. So I'm guessing maybe your hotdog had some of that.

Sweets - gets me every time, not as bad as it used to but I def feel it. Sugar is known to be inflammatory. Plus it creates quite the reaction in our brain under normal circumstances. It is said it "lights up our brain like a pinball machine" lol.

Our bodies are so sensitive right now so any chemical, whether mad made or biological can bring about feeling yucky. Each person is different - but this is definitely quite common for us benzo ppl.

It will pass. 

So many have food sensitivities in recovery.

Preservatives (like msg) are the devil for most. So I'm guessing maybe your hotdog had some of that.

Sweets - gets me every time, not as bad as it used to but I def feel it. Sugar is known to be inflammatory. Plus it creates quite the reaction in our brain under normal circumstances. It is said it "lights up our brain like a pinball machine" lol.

Our bodies are so sensitive right now so any chemical, whether mad made or biological can bring about feeling yucky. Each person is different - but this is definitely quite common for us benzo ppl.

It will pass.

lol @ “mad made”... -Trina slays big pharma..!!

:)

Probably was the preservatives in the hot dog. I agree with Trina that it possibly contained MSG. As everyone else said, it's very difficult to blame your waves on foods and drinks. Then there's the big question of when do you reintroduce them if you've eliminated them from your diet? The only answer is to try things out. Repeat to see if you get the same result.

I ate the same exact meal at the same time in the same amounts for two weeks.....results: my waves came when it was time and so did my windows. It made no difference. Next two weeks I ate a different meal and got the same results. That let me know it wasn't my food. It was just simply time to have a wave. I'm not saying we don't have sensitivities....WE DO! But we will drive ourselves nuts nitpicking everything we put in our mouth. My advice is to avoid what the majority say causes waves- too much sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc Eat as clean as you can and stay hydrated.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]