Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Use of Benzos in Covid patients

[In...]

Hi all,

I’m really anxious. If we catch Covid, they don’t put you on benzos, because of respiratory distress.

I am currently tapering since 1.8 yrs from 4 mg Xanax to 5 mg Valium right now.

Not sure, how to handle this, should I cold turkey from 5 mg Valium, because I have no idea of how doctors would handle.

I am in India and we are currently no 2 in world. Have no advisory, just that patients should not be administered benzos.

Appreciate help or experience from someone who handled Covid and was on Benzos in parallel.

Cheers

IB

Are you taking all possible precautions so you don't contract Covid?

Are you in a high risk group, either in age or with underlying health risks? 

I wouldn't advise jumping off of 5 mgs Valium on a 'what if' I get Covid and they can't prescribe benzo's, this sounds like benzo fear talking so I'm going to try to talk you out of your benzo fear, okay?

If you're doing all you can to prevent getting Covid then I feel you should proceed on the premise that you're going to be okay and continue with your taper.  Fear is such a huge component of this process but we can't let it dictate our lives or our taper so try to listen to the folks here, let us reassure you that you can do this and quitting 5 mgs of Valium cold turkey will do more harm than good at the moment.

I'm sorry I haven't heard about not taking benzo's while treating Covid. All I know is I had Covid in June and I still took my klonopin.

I would not cold turkey 5 mg of Valium for fear of if you get covid.  5 mg is too high of a dose to cold turkey off of, if you can possibly help it.

If you cold turkey you will be definitely making yourself uncomfortable as opposed to the possibility of getting covid.

I agree with Pamster in that I would taking all possible precautions to avoid getting covid.

@[jo...]

I’m totally gone nuts, with thoughts of who will give me Valium 5 mg, I may face withdrawal symptoms. That’s why decided clearly turkey and see how I react?

Btw, were you given klonopin by doctors or self?

Regards,

IB

Hi IndianBuddy,

It feels as if you're letting fear get the best of you, please don't let it guide your decision making.  You don't know you'll contact Covid, you don't know how bad your case will be, most recover from it so your chances are very good.  If you get to the point where you need to be hospitalized, your benzo taper will be the last thing you'll need to worry about.  If the worst happens and you are hospitalized, you can address your concerns about your treatment with your Dr's but until then, I hope you'll do your best to calm yourself.

If you decide to quit cold turkey we'll support you.

Anyone else who can guide use of Benzos in case of Covid infection?

I posed the same question to my psychiatrist. He said the same thing as Pamster. it's just the benzo talking and it is very very unlikely that the worst will happen.

Thanks pamster and Maugham, I’ll follow normal tapering from 5 mg. Do you guys recommend something for sleep in parallel while tapering from 5 mg Valium.

My biggest issue is Insomnia.

Cheers,

IB

I'm relieved to hear you're going to keep tapering.  :thumbsup:

There are members who look to the Alternative Therapies & Supplements, Other Medications or the Insomnia boards in search of sleep aid but I found that the only thing that helped me was time away from the drug.  Plus establishing good sleep hygiene practices, acceptance that sleep will come when it comes and chamomile tea.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]