Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exposure therapy for bad intrusive thoughts/ OCD from withdrawal?

[le...]

Just wondered if anyone found this helped. Had crippling intrusive thoughts from zop withdrawal made really intense from taking the anti depressants which also gave me panic attacks. Started seeing therapist been doing exposure therapy for about 10 days. My symptom related to hurting strangers  in the street. Usual CBT stuff ie, stop doing compulsions, just tell yourself they're thoughts blah blah was useless. But she said go slow don't push yourself think helping bit. Been off anti depressants nearly 4 months so maybe also they're coming out my system plus the zop. If it worked for anyone how long before you sure real improvement?

I'm thinking about trying something like that leann.  The intrusive thoughts are terrible, unlike you thinking you might hurt strangers, I have thoughts of self harm.  Grotesque.  I won't act on them. 

They'd started to abate on their own, but this past week has seen a return, with other sxs I thought had disappeared.  Thought I had escaped most of the physical stuff but am now experiencing joint pain, everywhere.  Sweaty, flushed face, feet and hands.  Derealisation bad this past week. 

Had none of this stuff pre benzo's.

This is bloody terrible but still hold to the view that I will eventually recover. 

Apologies for moaning post, I'm just so over it. 

D x

Moan away think we're all entitled to. I just get very angry with doctors as the anti depressants made it so much worse. Like you never had it before. I would recommend psychotherapy if u find a good one she has helped me. Does seem roller coaster ride one day OK next back to square one! Felt really good yesterday today been out almost like panic attack again

I have agoraphobia. I did not do anything about it because I believed it was part of my symptoms. After a while, I noticed I did not have any symptoms anymore, but I was still having problems traveling far with the subway. So now I do exposure therapy every day, for the last 7 days. It feels horrible. I feel I will have a panic attack and I'm scared, but with that said, it has gotten easier and I'm doing good. I will recommend you to take it easy, baby steps. Try to become anxious, and not run away from it.

Mine def caused by the drugs, have read SSRI's can trigger OCD type symptoms. Have read can take up to 12 weeks to see real improvement with exposure therapy. I do think it is worth doing, after 20 months doing nothing hasn't worked I just got worse. It is really hard mine isn't agrophobia just when I walk past people freak out. As you say taking it slow seems be the key. They say if you didn't have it before should eventually ease fingers crossed I think I could coped with physical symptoms but mine just mental.

Mine def caused by the drugs, have read SSRI's can trigger OCD type symptoms. Have read can take up to 12 weeks to see real improvement with exposure therapy. I do think it is worth doing, after 20 months doing nothing hasn't worked I just got worse. It is really hard mine isn't agrophobia just when I walk past people freak out. As you say taking it slow seems be the key. They say if you didn't have it before should eventually ease fingers crossed I think I could coped with physical symptoms but mine just mental.

My English is not superb, so I might be misunderstanding some of the things you wrote.

What do you define as real results? Are you saying you don't think it is worth doing because you have not gotten better in the last 20 months doing nothing?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Everyone says it just takes time to recover, I have waited 20 months since stopping the zopiclone waiting and I haven't improved. The anti depressants did undoubtably make things worse. I think it is definitely worth doing the exposure therapy, I meant that I had read it could be 12 weeks before you really see a big improvement , seems a case that gradually things should improve week by week by just not a case after couple weeks you are better. Everyone is different you could see improvements much sooner of course. But I'm definitely going to continue with it. Hope that's clearer?

One thing that helped me with unwanted thoughts in the past is the book The Happiness Trap, by Russ Harris (I have no connection with the author other than as a reader).  There are exercises in there that help you see scary thoughts (intrusive or not) as just thoughts and not capable of harming you.  If you are looking for "desensitization" exercises, that book might help.

Thanks yes I have already got self help books. Trouble is because it's caused by the drugs mainly the anti depressants lot of normal recommended stuff hasn't helped me. Probably does if you had it before but I didn't. The exposure therapy seems be helping a bit so I'll keep trying it.

I think anti depressants added to my problem too, Leann.  I didn't take them for long as terrible reaction.  My eyes bulged out of my head (literally) and finished up with Serotonin Syndrome, twice. 

I took them at the same time as benzo withdrawal and difficult to tease out which was the contributor. 

I'll never take an anti depressant again.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Everyone says it just takes time to recover, I have waited 20 months since stopping the zopiclone waiting and I haven't improved. The anti depressants did undoubtably make things worse. I think it is definitely worth doing the exposure therapy, I meant that I had read it could be 12 weeks before you really see a big improvement , seems a case that gradually things should improve week by week by just not a case after couple weeks you are better. Everyone is different you could see improvements much sooner of course. But I'm definitely going to continue with it. Hope that's clearer?

Yea, great answer! Thanks! It sounded like you were not going to continue treatment because you were ill because of the meds. I have lived with that idea to long and has finally started doing exposure and it is working. It is hard though, but it is working.

You are doing well if it's working already. I've had this for 20 months so guess will take while to improve but I'll stick at it .You live in a lovely country we went there few years ago , the air was so fresh over there and everywhere so clean.

One thing that helped me with unwanted thoughts in the past is the book The Happiness Trap, by Russ Harris (I have no connection with the author other than as a reader).  There are exercises in there that help you see scary thoughts (intrusive or not) as just thoughts and not capable of harming you.  If you are looking for "desensitization" exercises, that book might help.

[/quote

Did you try exposure therapy at all. Take it you already had OCD before taking meds. I've tried all the stuff telling yourself they are just thoughts already. Just looked already got 3 books on OCD self help. The anti depressants were meant to help but just gave me lot more thoughts. Presume I'm now in AD withdrawal doesn't help!]

Did you try exposure therapy at all. Take it you already had OCD before taking meds. I've tried all the stuff telling yourself they are just thoughts already. Just looked already got 3 books on OCD self help. The anti depressants were meant to help but just gave me lot more thoughts. Presume I'm now in AD withdrawal doesn't help!]

I never had any formal exposure therapy.  But I did find the exercises in that book helpful to become less affected by my thoughts.  I've never been diagnosed with OCD, though I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. 

I never had any formal exposure therapy.  But I did find the exercises in that book helpful to become less affected by my thoughts.  I've never been diagnosed with OCD, though I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depressiion

Just ordered the book seems it focus's on trying to accept thoughts are there and how to deal with them, rather than CBT which promotes constantly distracting yourself and trying dismiss thoughts which hasn't worked with me. Think it's based on ACT therapy. Did it take long to help you?

You are doing well if it's working already. I've had this for 20 months so guess will take while to improve but I'll stick at it .You live in a lovely country we went there few years ago , the air was so fresh over there and everywhere so clean.

Yes, and it is a great country medical wise too :)

I have had agoraphobia for at least 24 months, but there is no reason not to try to fix it.

Sorry to hear that the exposure therapy seems good idea. I've found talking to psychotherapist helps as well.  My symptoms gradually got worse over last 20 months, I'm not as bad as when was taking the anti depressants though. Hope you continue to improve.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]