Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

14 months off. No symptoms for 10 months. When can I drink beer?

[Cr...]

14 months off a 6 month microtaper,  I'm ready to resume life. When can I resume drinking beer, I have avoided it all through taper and 14 months off.

I think it depends on the person.

I avoided alcohol like the plague for the first 3 years after I jumped CT

I then started have a beer here and there about a year ago.

Today, I can have a beer or 2 anytime with no issues.

I would caution against getting buzzed or drunk...that has reset others and produced a setback/withdrawal.

Well, to be on a safe side, 7 years. A little less conservative range 3 years.

Pace, we try not to be prescriptive on here. Or maybe you were joking??

Anyhow, to answer to OP, whenever you think you are ready. Start slow and see how you feel.

Katz

Thank you, yeah 7 years is not even a serious answer. 3 years is not a serious answer. What? Just making numbers up?

Katz, thank you

:thumbsup: mccaveman.

There is no timeline. Two years, two months . . . it's all individual. We all have to try things out and see how we go. And sheesh, the "No Alcohol Ever Again" squad on here gets kind of tedious.

Katz

Not a good idea. Have you not learned your lesson.

Lets not be judgmental or chastising on here please. BB is here for support and discussion.

Craigs: Everyone is different. many ppl can resume slowly, and others react strongly. Just proceed with caution. I always joke that I will have a sip or two of kombucha first to see how I feel ( I say that bc I literally can feel a sip of kombucha and not in a good way lol).

Like don't start with shots of tequila.. ;)

:thumbsup: mccaveman.

There is no timeline. Two years, two months . . . it's all individual. We all have to try things out and see how we go. And sheesh, the "No Alcohol Ever Again" squad on here gets kind of tedious.

Katz

You know what's tedious? People like you who say things are tedious, I guess some people are just injured way more severely than others and therefore would never ever introduce knowingly a neurotoxici substance back into the CNS that could ever potentially put them back into the torment and torture of the suffering with especially something that is closely related to benzos and we ALL know someone who has been setback by their ignorance around alcohol.

Way to go at diminishing people's suffering and experience.

Oh give it  a rest, PSVT. I said this:

it's all individual. We all have to try things out and see how we go.

I'm not diminishing anyone's suffering. For heaven's sake, if you don't want to drink, don't drink.

If you're one who is,  in your words,

would never ever introduce knowingly a neurotoxici substance back into the CNS that could ever potentially put them back into the torment and torture of the suffering with especially something that is closely related to benzos

then by all means abstain.

Katz

I still treat myself to a glass of wine on a Saturday night with my meal no problem. Had a bit of a setback when I finished a bottle 1 night but I know my limits now. Try a beer, I don't understand the fear everyone has about a beer

I actually had a cup of tea yesterday and feel worse for it

@[Cr...]

I too, use to like to relax and drink beer, at home or socially with friends/co-workers. I long for that day too, becuase that will signify to me that I have healed and have moved on to a normal life. 

Cheers!

I got super drunk after 3months. No problem, but I was on a low dosage for a short time. I would try out a half a beer based on what I have seen happen to people here.

i got really drunk at a year and a half. maybe 8 -10 drinks at a dinner. not good, i was thrown into acute for like 2-3 months. i wont touch it again till im at least a year without symptoms.

[02...]

14 months off a 6 month microtaper,  I'm ready to resume life. When can I resume drinking beer, I have avoided it all through taper and 14 months off.

My neurodoctor said 3 years without symptoms and it might be safe...both with benzo again and alcohol. Not made this up he said like that.

I think like this  I am not gonna drink again wont take the risk. Will I ever take a benzo pill again? No never ever. Will I ever drink again? No...bc alcohol is liquid benzo and it is not that important too me anymore. But thats me

That's funny my dr. Said everyone she got off benzos never had problems with alcohol afterwards.  Go figure...what do we believe?

I waited until 3 years off, had been feeling 90% normal for atleast 5 months before I decided to get hammered at my buddy's 40th and I've been in a setback on and off for like 8 months. I absolutely regret it. I think I would be healed by now had I not allowed myself to indulge, but who knows. It's just not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, you might be one of the lucky that can tolerate alcohol and have no problems. But is it really worth the risk? What if you aren't? I wish I would have listened.

I decided to get hammered at my buddy's 40th and I've been in a setback on and off for like 8 months.

Not everyone wants to "get hammered". The OP was just asking when he could safely have a beer.

:(

Katz

[02...]

That's funny my dr. Said everyone she got off benzos never had problems with alcohol afterwards.  Go figure...what do we believe?

Lol 😋...but also to remember they say BWS or PAWS dont excist either.

I decided to get hammered at my buddy's 40th and I've been in a setback on and off for like 8 months.

Not everyone wants to "get hammered". The OP was just asking when he could safely have a beer.

Katz

I get that. But regardless, it would imply that alcohol of any quantity has the potential to have an affect on withdrawal and healing. I've read plenty of stories about people that had setbacks after only one beer. Its the difference between taking one benzo and taking 6, youre still taking a benzo.

I waited until 3 years off, had been feeling 90% normal for atleast 5 months before I decided to get hammered at my buddy's 40th and I've been in a setback on and off for like 8 months. I absolutely regret it. I think I would be healed by now had I not allowed myself to indulge, but who knows. It's just not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, you might be one of the lucky that can tolerate alcohol and have no problems. But is it really worth the risk? What if you aren't? I wish I would have listened.

Sounds like you were not healed at 3 years off and then drank. This stands to reason. I have been healed 10 months. Different factors totally.

[02...]

Katz

I get that. But regardless, it would imply that alcohol of any quantity has the potential to have an affect on withdrawal and healing. I've read plenty of stories about people that had setbacks after only one beer. Its the difference between taking one benzo and taking 6, youre still taking a benzo.

I agree with you...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]