Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapers, Windows and Waves, Oh My!

[on...]

If I can borrow, Dorothy's quote from the Wizard of Oz, "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

I came to BB with all of the reasons that many of you have, I'm sure.  I, in my heart of hearts believe that Benzo are not a good thing and so, I've read, asked questions, got answers and support and ordered my scale, learned formulas and thought\think I'm set.  But then, I've read and read more forums, here and fear;

prolonged tapers, set backs, symptoms too long to list, set backs, success stories, lllooonnnnggg term residual effects, months, years, fear, panic, questioning, remembering what mental health issues brought them to taking benzos.......  OK, I think you get the point.

So, I know everyone's experience is different, based on a huge amount of variables.  I believe in the material in the Ashton Manual.

But, I'm scared to death!  I've read on another site that some people have been on the same dose of the same med, 20, 30 years and report that's fine with them.  I'm 69yo and today's world has me wondering how long I have left on this earth.  You can see my med history in my signature.  My Dx is GAD. Self medicated for years, then.....  I've thought it best not to discuss my taper plan with my psychiatrist for now, for all of the reasons many of you have reported here. 

I'm needing to hear something that keeps me moving forward.  Maybe there are others out there wondering the same thing.  Am I alone?  I know I'll hear, you can do it, you have our support, "I" did it.  And I truly appreciate all of those thoughts.

I feel like I'm at "Ready, "Set".......but "Go" is hard.  And yes, I know that "Go" is the only way to get "there".

Talk to me folks.  The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Thank you from the deepest part of my Heart!

You sound prepared! I wish I had the magic words, but all I can do is say welcome here, and you have my support. I think it’s great you’ve made the decision you want to get off, and you are doing it before tolerance sets it.

The gem scales are good, but I’ve had similar issues with some defective ones, esp lately. It’s still a better scale at an affordable price.

Wishing you well when you are ready for “go”.💜

Best,

Sun

It is scary to start down this path, not knowing exactly what yours will look like.  It will help that you're so informed - knowledge is empowering.  But, it's a double edged sword because, as you note, you also see stories of members coping with rougher withdrawals.

I personally found it helped to focus on the positive stories and avoid posts and threads that fed into my fears  - in other words, being judicious about the information you take in. 

Keeping your eye on the prize, being free of benzos, can truly help sustain you through the challenges of withdrawal.

There are so many good ideas and tips on the forum for coping with symptoms - this is incredibly helpful and the support you get from others will help you through rough patches too.  Many of us are amazed to find strength within us we didn't even know was there. And many of us are older and still recover successfully.

So yes, I'm gonna say it:  you can do this! :thumbsup:

You sound prepared! I wish I had the magic words, but all I can do is say welcome here, and you have my support. I think it’s great you’ve made the decision you want to get off, and you are doing it before tolerance sets it.

The gem scales are good, but I’ve had similar issues with some defective ones, esp lately. It’s still a better scale at an affordable price.

Wishing you well when you are ready for “go”.💜

Best,

Sun

It is scary to start down this path, not knowing exactly what yours will look like.  It will help that you're so informed - knowledge is empowering.  But, it's a double edged sword because, as you note, you also see stories of members coping with rougher withdrawals.

I personally found it helped to focus on the positive stories and avoid posts and threads that fed into my fears  - in other words, being judicious about the information you take in. 

Keeping your eye on the prize, being free of benzos, can truly help sustain you through the challenges of withdrawal.

There are so many good ideas and tips on the forum for coping with symptoms - this is incredibly helpful and the support you get from others will help you through rough patches too.  Many of us are amazed to find strength within us we didn't even know was there. And many of us are older and still recover successfully.

So yes, I'm gonna say it:  you can do this! :thumbsup:

Thank you Sunflower67 and Brighterday  :thumbsup:

I know it's early in the day, but hoping to hear from others here at BB, regarding my post above. too!

Speaking of "tolerance", not sure if this is a symptom, but recently I have tinnitus.  Not bad, but present.  I had it when I was on SSRIs.  Interesting enough, I've read that SSRIs and Klonopin are used to TREAT tinnitus.  :idiot:  But, it can also be a sign of hearing loss, which I have a touch of.  I can tell this because I often have to ask, "can you turn the TV up, please"?

My scale is going to be here soon.  Am I ready? Slow wins the race, right?

I was on Xanax for 14 years before I started tapering. I was also told I could stay on it for life. I might have done that except for the fact that it stopped working for me and I would have to have gone up on the dose.

I really wanted to get off the drug anyway because doctors have really started to dislike benzos and there have been times over the years where I couldn't get the drug and was fast tapered which caused me to have a mental break down.

As to what prompted me to do it, I was getting less and less anxiety relief from the drug and more and more interdose withdrawals.

I started in December of last year not knowing covid would happen. I asked my doc for support and he did support me . He's now retired and I'm having to see a new doc which is stressful but at least he's prescribing what I need to finish the taper.

The ugly part for me is that it's so difficult and it's taking longer than I hoped. The upside is that I've gone from two and a half mgs down to .625. I'm slowly getting there.

As hard as it is, I'm glad I'm doing it. I felt very powerless against the drug for a long time. Now I feel it has much less power.

Try not to let the scary stories upset you. Most of us are here because we're struggling and are probably a small percentage of those who have tapered successfully. It sounds like you're in a good spot. I would cross over to Valium like Ashton recommends and do a micro-taper. You'll be glad you did when you get to low doses.

I agree with jwl crossing over to diazepam is might save you alot of suffering down the road klonopin is a very strong and potent benzo and withdrawal from it is very hard i am talking from personal experience and doctor Ashton has mentioned this in her studies

Good luck

You are not alone.  I am kind of at the same point.  I am all prepared and waiting to start.  Trying to get some resolution to back pain before I do.

Someone else mentioned limiting what you read on this site.  I agree.  I sympathize with those who are having terrible struggles but we are all different and you may not have those issues at all.

So remember there are many on here that feel exactly how you do! We’re all doing it and we can be successful as work through the bumps together. :) :) :)

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts!

But, 2catsintheyard, your comments rang so true.  I'd like to add to you profile name, "life used to be so hard"....... great lyrics!  :thumbsup: 

When I chose that name, i didn’t realize how apt it might be.  Determined to get back to my “normal” life or whatever my new normal will be!  :)

And....glad you recognized the song,, :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]