Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can I have some reassurance that cognitive problems and DP/DR go away

[st...]

These foggy symptoms are probably my worst. If the DP/DR lifted and I felt like myself again I could cope better with the other symptoms I have. My cog fog is so bad that I can’t be spontaneous in anything I say and can’t tell jokes or stories. My word recall is so bad and I see many people have cognitive problems long term.

I used to be someone that would never shut up and loved speaking and writing. Now I never want to speak because it proves how handicapped I am. I used to work in sales so I had to be good with communication and speaking to people but I quit my job in tolerance withdrawal before deciding to quit and ride it out.

I’ve been housebound this whole time. I only leave to go to doctors or on a rare day that my sleep cycle reversed and I can try to get some fresh air during the day.  Am I doomed to a life of suffering so early on in life? 

Heya,

I havent been here for quite a while. Everything lifts. Everything gets better. Your brain will heal and you will be back to normal. It is just a memory now. If you go thorugh my posts,... well it was a nightmare.

• Like 1

Heya,

I havent been here for quite a while. Everything lifts. Everything gets better. Your brain will heal and you will be back to normal. It is just a memory now. If you go thorugh my posts,... well it was a nightmare.

Thank you for the quick reply and I guess it was good timing. I’m glad you're doing better, it just seems impossible to believe sometimes.

It goes away. I know how horrible it is and Iam sorry you have to deal with it. It took everything I had to keep my job in this stage of the recovery process. I will say, I believe being around people and having to think on my feet helped speed up getting over brain fog/DR(even as horrible as it was). I know it sucks... but if possible I would find a low stress part time job. I really believe sitting at home all day and not interacting with people and not experiencing any kind of work related stress takes longer to get back to your old self. If the part time job was to much you can always quit. I know its hell, keep going, all these nasty symptoms go away and in the end you will feel like yourself again.

According to my research, dp/dr and brain fog stuff is just the mechanism the brain goes into in order to protect itself and recover.  Not sure if this is true but it feels better to think this way then thinking as if this is forever or unchangeable. I know the brain goes through some sort of chemical shifts when going through high stress or depressive episodes because I went through one when I was much younger. It takes monthes or even years to recover for a normal person going through a normal stressful event without any medical history. I'm sure the long devastating length of recovery time is really needed for the brain to heal from benzo use. If you just give in to this situation and be content with it then Im sure the healing will come sooner. Its time to let go and live even in this brain fogged, dp/dr state. Walk the path you were supposed to walk on, put on some better shoes, clothes, put a smile on your face and sooner than later your cognition will come back and everything will be clear again. The dp/dr and cognitive problems are hard enough, no need to make it harder for your brain and yourself.

The DP/DR and cog fog both eventually will go away like others have said. Don't let yourself get worked up over others who have issues with it over longer periods of time. There's no way to predict the course of how long any of the symptoms will last, but they do eventually go away. I know it's easier said than done, but try to take things day to day. I personally keep a daily journal of my symptoms and how I'm feeling, because when I look back I can see larger patterns of how I'm healing. Getting into regular writing habits like that also helps get through the cog fog.

I'm glad you asked this question, because these are my most prominent symptoms too, along with insomnia, and I often find myself scared that it will be permanent. 

Haimona

Thank you everyone. I want desperately to live life as you suggest but I’m worse off then I might seem. DP/DR and cognitive issues are far from my only symptoms. I can’t even watch tv of play games anymore without sweating profusely and having heart palpitations. I also can’t be in a room with more than 1 or 2 people in my house without needing to run away.

There’s no way I can work unless there’s a bit of improvement. I only took benzos for Insomnia it’s crazy how I’m now living life like I have a debilitating anxiety disorder.

I’m thankful as I have a supportive family and a mom who has been through this herself in the past from Xanax. I just wish at the very least I could enjoy my hobbies to make time pass. There are things that have went away like the brutal chemical terror and binding headaches. Those left with acute. Everything else has been consistent since this started though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]