Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New here

[Km...]

Hi, I am new here.  I suffer from severe panic disorder, GAD, agoraphobia and depression.  I have been on 1.5 mgs to 2 mgs of Xanax for 7 years now.  Xanax does nothing for my panic attacks or agoraphobia at all.  I am starting to see a new psychiatrist October 1st and we are going to talk about coming off of this medicine. I am petrified to say the least.

Hi Kmc88 :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here. I know its scary but try not to worry. I was the same, as you, I know how you feel.. but you can do this!  You are making a great decision for your future health in tapering off your Xanax.  I would suggest you do some research, check out the taper plan boards.  I hope you get support from your new psychiatrist, I know you will get plenty of support here to help you through this process.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. You can go slower,  whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.  I would recommend reading through the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

The Xanax Club

Our members have found alternate ways to deal with GAD and anxiety. Many of us found benzos used long term creates more anxiety.  We have a dedicated board, you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Kmc88

How did your appointment go?

I understand feeling terrified, I did too. I am seeing that medicine feeds the anxiety in more than one way for me. Have you heard of CBT, Cognitive Behavior Therapy? Trying to use my thoughts to help me away from panic thoughts of fear and anxiety to calm myself.

I am finding soothing things to do during my taper to help me where I thought taking a pill was helping. I am also getting support by connecting with others. Feeling really alone in things is not helpful so I hope you'll find connections and will feel supported here. It will go a long way.

I'm using hot water, singing, stretching and other ways. I've made a nightly commitment to myself, because I want to replace the med with that ability. I'm brand new also.

Cheers

My Dr's appt is on Thursday.  She said we are going to start weaning me off the Xanax.  I am extremely petrified!! Beyond what words can even describe.

My anxiety & agoraphobia are far from under control, so I know doing this is going to be even harder because of that. 

What do I do if she doesn't really know a good taper method?  What do I do if she won't agree to the Ashton Manuel? What do I do if she won't switch me to a longer acting benzo while doing this process?  And lastly, what if I CAN'T do this? 

My Dr's appt is on Thursday.  She said we are going to start weaning me off the Xanax.  I am extremely petrified!! Beyond what words can even describe.

My anxiety & agoraphobia are far from under control, so I know doing this is going to be even harder because of that. 

What do I do if she doesn't really know a good taper method?  What do I do if she won't agree to the Ashton Manuel? What do I do if she won't switch me to a longer acting benzo while doing this process?  And lastly, what if I CAN'T do this?

I can see a lot of fear in your words so lets do our best to remain in the present and consider your options, okay?  First, your appointment hasn't happened yet so it would be more helpful to plan strategies just in case you can't get the cooperation you need from this new Dr.

If you feel your Dr doesn't have a good plan, we can help you with this as long as your Dr agrees to keep prescribing the drug.

It isn't mandatory you switch to Valium as the Ashton manual suggests, many taper directly from their benzo.

You can do this with our help, we'll be here to guide and support you, we've helped thousands of people withdraw, we'll be here for you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]