Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need oral surgery but don't know what to do in severe withdrawals

[li...]

I went to an oral surgeon in July I have so much pain in impacted wisdom teeth. I foolishly waited 7 months since I first had the pain in December and I was stabalzied on my klonopin back then. I didnt do it when I could have!!!! So angry at myself let fear get in the way. I was afraid of all the same things I am afraid of now except not it is so much worse like Im fighting for my life.  I was in terribel pain when covid started and was willing to go to an oral suregon at that point. I kept crying to my Mom how bad it was but she would not let me to go any doctors becaue she was afraid of corona.And bringing it home. She and my fatther are elderly and high risk with srious health issues but she was going with my father to the mayo clinic. She refused to let me go anywhere for my health needs. Even if it would kill me.  I got worse and worse with my teeth and my health. I have not tapered I still was holding my .5mg of klonpin for 11 years but I started gtting neuro issues and I was afraid it was infection in my mouth but now I know it was from startig to develop tolerence withdrawals. Finally in July I was able to move out to a friend's house that was vacant and been living here since alone and isolated. 

The next day aftr I moved I thought I would try another generic that used to work for me . Why did I do this instead of wait till after surgery???? I am so so so foolish. this is why I need help and supervision and not left to make my own decisinons. I make horrilbe one.s  I already felt like wouldnt handle the surgery with my adrenals so crashed and had neurology and endoocronloly lined up doctor visits to check myslef out to make sure I would be safe for surgry. My oral surgeon who works on top altheletes here locally and good rpeptuation. I told him my siutation in July visit and he said he wanted to do in hosptial but my insurance doesnt cover it and on disability couldnt pay a couple of thosaand dollars extra and no friends or family to help pay for it. So I said i would do in office. In meantime I was in withdralws with the othr gnenric swtiched back to the other one my body went haywire and in more withdralws becaue i was more potent. My prescriber wanted to updose me further for a couple of weeks to get mt through the surgery but I was already updosed by trying to go back on th emore potent klonpin. I didnt know it was more potent until I swicthed. I was too scared to updose futher when I was holding at .5mg for 11 years and worked so ahrd to go down from 1.5mg to .5mg and didnt want to go through process again esp since it was way eaiser doing it 14 years ago on my system Cake walk compared to now. After trying to stabalzie and all these doctor appts it took 2 months and I was in pain called oral surgeron back about the surgery when i had a window where i was feeling better and brave enough and they said they have to get back to me even though my doctor cleared me for surgery. My doctors dont know im in withdralws they cleared me due to the blood work back then I was still so much better. 

The oral surgeon didint call me back and I had a feeling he didnt want to do thwork due to liablity.  My friend got squeezed in to see him and they ignored my plea. A few days later I decided to switch to another generic again

Now Im in severe severe withdfrawlsz so bad im barely hanging on 15 min sleep in the morning up all night laying down.. So many sysmtpoms body going haywie fightng for my life forcin every less ouznce of strenghtto right this so I can kget feedback what to do. I dont feel I can surive surgery in this condition when Im in sever severe withdrawls. I feel like Im in cold turkey and Im still on .5mg of the medication.  I should have done it in July not scare off my oral surgeon and just do it right away not change genrerics but its too late. I litefrally feel like Im fighing for my life on this generic. If I go back on the otherp potent one it will make me go haywire. with the other one i also had severe withdfrawls after swtiching bakc and forth. i did it everything wrong. contactedm my ex he said he would nevere have let me swich around. I dont know what to do im so confused. i dont know if i should temproarily go back on the other one up my dsoe to get through the surgery but to go through this hell of withdralws again I cant take it. Or going through this hell on what I am on now not sleepin in hoffific painin my limbs and fire couldnt take it either. How does one recover from surgry if they dont sleep.

Has anyone been in severfe withdrawls while doing surgry? im talking severe....

I totally ruined things and did everything wrong.  Im scared of more suffring to com.e. I havent even began to taper.  I dont know what to do Im afriad of kindling and my body is so fragile cant handle most medications without my body crasheing. I ried toexplain to endo and he didnt believe me and still cleared me for surger4y. thought he would give me steroids. so i wasted all the time with these docotrs when I could have just had it done before I was in this horrific withdalws. I asked my bf what to do he says he dowsnt know. Nobody knows. I know that I cant handle thse withdrawls and end of my rope. I know that I cant handle this wisdom teeth pain and I feel like Im dying. I need someone to takc charge and do things for me make appts tell me what to do not let me make decsiosns pay for stuff> I have none of that. Nobody to help me like that nobody to  step up and help me.  Im on medicaid and I cant find a dentist who would do it in the hospital where my isnurance would be accepted. i wanted to go with toprated surgoen since im delciate but i doubt h would do it but acgtually im too scafred to do it even now. How can i do it with no ssleeep and the mess i put msyelf into? I dont know how I was able to write so much as sickk as I am. I think the fear and pleas is giving me the little strenght i have left. Im bedridden so sick. Paralzyed with fear and sleep deprived and so so so sick.

I had a crown done about 6 days after my ativan c/t.  I was sleeping about 1-2 hours a night, and was shaking so hard that I was concerned that the dentist couldn't do her work properly.

They shot me full of novocaine and neither the dentist nor I had any problems with the dental work. 

I had an extraction somewhat later, and requested that the oral surgeon not add a benzo to the anesthesia.  We talked about it a bit, and he agreed to just use opiates.  Downside is that I was awake for the work, but I felt no pain at all.

I had a crown done about 6 days after my ativan c/t.  I was sleeping about 1-2 hours a night, and was shaking so hard that I was concerned that the dentist couldn't do her work properly.

They shot me full of novocaine and neither the dentist nor I had any problems with the dental work. 

I had an extraction somewhat later, and requested that the oral surgeon not add a benzo to the anesthesia.  We talked about it a bit, and he agreed to just use opiates.  Downside is that I was awake for the work, but I felt no pain at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Im afraid that the gneeral anesthesia and pain meds will put me in further withdfrawls and how will I heal from the surgery afterwards. Im more afraid of the after surgery and how will I survive that when I feel like Im fighting with evry less ounce of energy with my adrenals to fight the withdrawals.And how do I heal with 3 impacted teeth removed if I cant sleep.  I never should have switched generics before doing this. I feel like Im dying

You might sleep very well after the surgery.  They gave me oxy or some such opioid after the surgery and I was pretty pain free for a couple of days.

I just recently had a root canal and the anesthesia didn't send me into a wave like I feared. I actually felt better after they took care of the infection. That said I don't know if you should consider it in your fragile condition unless you're in pain or there's an infection.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled a few weeks ago. In the oral surgeon's office. Like badsocref, I got shot full of novocaine. It really went okay. I was groggy and went home to have a great sleep. I had some pain meds prescribed that I never took. Just Tylenol.

Maybe things won't be as bad as you fear. And if the doc gives you something to take care of the infection, I bet you'll feel a lot better.

Sorry for what you're going through. But it sounds like you need to get those teeth attended to! Sometimes our fears are way overblown. I was very nervous, but it was a big nothing-burger.

Best to you,

Katz

You might sleep very well after the surgery.  They gave me oxy or some such opioid after the surgery and I was pretty pain free for a couple of days.

That's great!

I just recently had a root canal and the anesthesia didn't send me into a wave like I feared. I actually felt better after they took care of the infection. That said I don't know if you should consider it in your fragile condition unless you're in pain or there's an infection.

Were you actually put under for your Root canal or anesthesia locally? I am pretty fragile but I am in pain and it is infected. I should get it out back in December. But my fear and then the withdrawls got me so scared. Oral surgeon too...

I had a wisdom tooth pulled a few weeks ago. In the oral surgeon's office. Like badsocref, I got shot full of novocaine. It really went okay. I was groggy and went home to have a great sleep. I had some pain meds prescribed that I never took. Just Tylenol.

Maybe things won't be as bad as you fear. And if the doc gives you something to take care of the infection, I bet you'll feel a lot better.

Sorry for what you're going through. But it sounds like you need to get those teeth attended to! Sometimes our fears are way overblown. I was very nervous, but it was a big nothing-burger.

Best to you,

Katz

For sure fear as made things so much worse for me and had I not let it get in the way I wouldnt have sufferend since December with so much pain in my teeth.Im so used to pain and suffering that I dealt with it . Did they put you under? Mine are really impacted so they have to put me under.

I had to have surgery in my nose and throat an I worried endlessly about the general anesthesia putting me out for the count. Then I worried about the pain meds forever altering my mind or sending my brain back to acute phase. In the end, there was a TON of pain but nothing bad happened to my mind. I just worried about everything I could.

I am having anxiety now at levels so much higher than pre-surgery but it has been about 6 weeks since I had it done. If there was a connection it was greatly delayed.

One of my biggest problems is dealing with a feeling of impending doom concerning my health, especially whe I'm having anxiety. It's best not to overthink. Easier saud than done. 

Following - my jaw joints are being crushed and surgeon says need surgery but can’t even take basic pain meds without all muscles collapsing and causing choking etc and, given Benzos are now paradoxical can’t see anaesthetic working for me.

Were you actually put under for your Root canal or anesthesia locally? I am pretty fragile but I am in pain and it is infected. I should get it out back in December. But my fear and then the withdrawls got me so scared. Oral surgeon too...

It was just a local but I did get put under for a colonoscopy last year and did just fine. But the thing is I was and am pretty stable. I'm just wondering if your wave isn't a result of your pain and infection and if taking care of your teeth might help. Does the timeline correspond to when you were having problems?

It was just a local but I did get put under for a colonoscopy last year and did just fine. But the thing is I was and am pretty stable. I'm just wondering if your wave isn't a result of your pain and infection and if taking care of your teeth might help. Does the timeline correspond to when you were having problems?

The waves are not from the oral stuff but it is making it worse. The waves are from swtiching the generics around and getting worse with each change. My fault for being foolish. Should have had the oral surgery before messing around with the generics.  I would have been done back in July with it. Im terrified to do it in this condition because Im barely functional.  I think thats why the oral surgeon didnt get back to me 2 weeks ago when I had a window when I was feeling better and asked if we could schedule. I didnt switch to this generic yet that Im on now when I asked on the 14th. If they had called me back and schedudled Im sure I wouldnt have switched. When I didnt hear bac k I got depressed and switched to the othr one on the 19thy and have been going through hell. I am certain if he had scheudled it with me  wouldnt mess around with anymore changes I dont blame him only myself. I thought since he isnt getting back to me maybe i will try something else to get me more stable and the opposite happened. I do stupid things when Im in fear mode and cant think straight. I have no logic. I needed someone to stop me form doing  stupid stupid decsions

lila, things may go better than you think.

I just remembered -- I had emergency angiography and a stent placed in an artery back in 2015 when I was in the middle of my tapering w/ds. I was off-the-wall anxious and my w/ds were horrid. And I was 'put under". They used Versed and it was fine.

JWL's post reminded me that I had a colonoscopy in 2016 during awful w/ds and that was fine, too.

Neither procedure made my w/ds worse.

lila . . . just go get your teeth attended to. That's my advice. I really don't think "going under" will make your w/ds  worse. And the longer you wait, the worse you (and your teeth) will feel.

Do it, girl.

:smitten:

Katz

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]