Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Perfume and smell sensitivity

[Me...]

I’m in total hypochondriac mode... I hate smells. I particularly hate the smell of perfume or any non-organic scent. My sense of smell is through the roof. I had a babysitter over for a few hours, who I’m sure had a normal amount of perfume on, but I couldn’t be in the same room as her because to me, it was too intense. I know I’m going to have to ask her to not wear it next time. I feel like such a weirdo to people.

Can you talk me down from worry (unless there’s something to worry about)? Will perfume spike my symptoms? It’s almost time for bed and I’m already having a terrible time with anxiety at night. I’m scared any chemical—this case perfume—will make it worse.

I think these symptoms are so damn traumatizing that anything that makes sense triggering them is scary. Like I got scared of eggs today because right after I ate an egg, my skin had the cold prickling feeling happen again.

So a lot of things are a coincidence and we’d feel just as bad without the external stimuli. But it’s hard to ever know. Also things I’m sensitive to have changed throughout withdrawal. I couldn’t tolerate antibiotics and now I can. But now I’m feeling more sensitive to food. I stopped using perfume ages ago over this but I doubt it would affect me anymore. I used to get hives from everything and that has really lessened. It’s awful.

This happened to me. Actually a lot of my senses were heightened — smells became way too strong, sounds became way too loud and lights became too bright. I had to carry earplugs with me all the time and wear sunglasses indoors! There were a couple of times I got into an elevator that had just been cleaned, and the smell of the cleaning fluid was so overwhelming I had to hold my nose.

This was all with drawl! These symptoms have now all subsided.

I could smell a pack of incense (closed) from the other side of the room. 

Could smell petroleum that wasn't there.  Oranges that weren't there.  Meat smelled like decay. 

Lots of smelly stuff.  :) 

No longer occurs at 19 months.  Been gone for a long time. 

It's weird, I know. 

Dee x

Thanks, everyone!  It's crazy for sure.  Every time I go on a walk, I can smell what I can only figure are dryer sheets from my neighbors' houses and all kinds of strange scents that I never noticed before.  I won't even go by a yard that smells like it's been treated for weeds. My sense of taste, touch, and hearing are up as well.

One day at a time...  I'm glad you've experienced relief with time!

I have gotten tremors, rashes. Trouble breathing, chills, hot flashes, headaches and ear aches from perfume. So I avoid perfume and fragrance. My mom can’t even come visit me unless she uses fragrance free everything and I mean everything!!!! You are not alone!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]