Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Quit Xanax after 2 and a half months of use. Need help.

[...]

The reason I joined Benzobuddies is for help. I have been taking Doctor prescribed Xanax for about two and a half months for severe anxiety and panic attacks that were brought on from another medicine I was taking. Month 1 and 2 I was prescribed Xanax .25 mg and for the rest of the time I took Xanax XR. .50 mg twice a day. I figured out it was another medicine causing the anxiety and stopped taking it. Things started to get better so I quit taking the Xanax.  It’s been a little over 3 full days since I last took any Xanax. It’s been a rough 3 days. I have had extreme anxiety/ panic attacks, heat flashes, the shakes, stomach cramps and bad insomnia. I can tell I obviously gained dependence on the Xanax.  I need help on what to expect in the next coming days and weeks ahead. Its hard but I am making it through it. 

Hello MEJR!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you've joined us!  I'm sorry you've been going through such a hard time with medications and withdrawal symptoms.  Did you quit Xanax cold turkey?  Withdrawal is generally more challenging after a cold turkey than a slow, careful taper. 

Please tell us more about your history with Xanax and how you went about quitting.  Now that you're a member you'll be able to post.  Here are some links to boards you may want to start a new topic on with questions about your situation:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

We recommend members look over The Ashton Manual for an overview of Benzo withdrawal.  Chapter III discusses many common withdrawal symptoms.

It's helpful to other members to readily see where you are in your benzo journey so please create a signature.  Here's how. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile.

Welcome!  Please reach out for support -

Brighterday  :)

Hi Bud,

I'm brand new here also. I'm dependent on Zolpidem and want to get off. I just started a taper of .50mg last night and feel hopeful and scared. I already have a lot of symptoms to manage and don't want to do cold turkey.

I have also had anxiety this year and when I asked for Xanax this Summer, and got it from my primary, I learned that it isn't a good choice from another doctor. I only used it occasionally and am not now. Now I'm reading The Ashton Manual and learning about both these meds.

Glad you're asking for help, keep seeking and reading here, for those who have gone ahead of us to blaze the trail. Please take care.

MEJR, you might seriously consider doing a taper rather than a c/t. I took xanax for two months and tried the c/t and had to reinstate in order to do a taper. I'm glad I did. It's still difficult but keeps you functioning and, to me, less damaging to the body.

I’m on day 4 and it seems to be getting worse. The anxiety is almost unbearable.  I’ve gone this long I might as well give it at least 5 to 6 days. I can’t believe a medicine can mess you up worse than it helped you.  I would hate to know what it fells like after years of use.  This medicine shouldn’t even be prescribed.  I pray I don’t have to get back on and I hope it CT treats me better than it did you. When you CT when did the anxiety & shakes stop or at least get better. 

How's it going, have you found some good reading? I've read these each twice, maybe you'll find value in them. Hopefully the links will work, first one is explaining how our neurons are damaged and what we go through on these meds and what needs to be healed. The severe anxiety is related to the amygdala telling us to panic. The second one is someone's success story from benzos, xanax specifically.

Do you have to work in this state? We need to make coping plans for when the waves are hitting ... soothing activities, music, distract with a movie or something enjoyable? Journal the lies in your head that are caused by this medication?

Also did you read The Ashton Manual? I'm reading that too, it's good and helpful. https://benzo.org.uk/manual/

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=17642.0

MEJR, after 2 weeks of c/t I was still having major anxiety (something I had never experienced before) and racing heart and vibrations. Everyday was a difficult challenge to get through and I feared I would end up in the hospital if I didn't reinstate because I was losing too much weight not being able to eat very well. Would I have been ok if I had continued the c/t? Maybe. Seems like from what I read that c/t's take a really long time to recover from and I was terrified that would happen to me.

It's difficult to think rationally when you are in the throes of w/d. Whatever you decide, you can lean on people here for support and know that it won't last.

I have an appetite and I am eating a lot. This morning was hard but it got better. The only issue I have right now is anxiety that comes and goes, crazy heart beat and I just feel out of it. Like I’m in a fog. My brain doesn’t seem to be functioning properly. I’m gonna stick with it and keep praying and hoping it gets better. Today was better than yesterday so I hope it stays that way. Tomorrow is day 5.

Day 6 of CT and I’m about 90% better. Today’s the first day that I feel really good. Sleep is still troubling but my mind feels right. I haven’t had any anxiety today or any other withdrawal symptoms.  I hope tomorrow is even better.  This was my first time ever taking Benzos and I can promise you one thing. I will never take them again.  There is no way this kind of prescription drug should be prescribed. The cure is worse than the illness. I’m just glad to be back.

That is fantastic to hear!

Started taking Xanax for extreme anxiety

Xanax .25mg twice a day for a little over 2 months

Switched to Xanax XR .50mg twice a day for about 5 days

And all this developed after taking 0.5mg xanax (in two doses) for only ~60 days??  :sick:

Day 6 of CT and I’m about 90% better. Today’s the first day that I feel really good. Sleep is still troubling but my mind feels right. I haven’t had any anxiety today or any other withdrawal symptoms.  I hope tomorrow is even better.  This was my first time ever taking Benzos and I can promise you one thing. I will never take them again.  There is no way this kind of prescription drug should be prescribed. The cure is worse than the illness. I’m just glad to be back.

Wonderful news MEJR, I always celebrate when someone can escape the worst benzo's have to offer!  Please keep checking in, I'm hoping this is it for you but don't be discouraged if some symptoms return, if they do, it will only be for a short time given how well you're doing.  :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]