Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do you have resentment towards the doctor who prescribed benzo?

[Sa...]

I feel discouragement over my doc’s handling of my case. He was trying to help me, but he truly had no idea the harm he was bringing on. To this day, he doesn’t believe gabapentin causes a withdrawal syndrome, and I’ll never unhear him say “I’ve put people on these meds (benzos), but I’ve never tapered anyone off.” He had no idea how to advise when I asked for help tapering after 2 weeks. This was my beloved, trusted obgyn.

As I’ve educated myself this year, I’ve felt every emotion under the sun about the situation and towards my doctors. I have made a conscious decision to steer away from anger/resentment, as I believe it hinders my healing. If I feel it, I allow the emotion...then I remind myself that no one person can take the fall for this. I extend forgiveness to my doctor and myself and try to keep going.

Ladyden, I’d give anything for other people to experience the feelings/sensations we do. I have a batch of deniers in my life that could really benefit from the experience. 😂

Just got very cross been watching lunchtime TV had doctor on there talking about anti depressants, saying if first one doesn't work you should keep trying different ones might work for depression but as regards anxiety switching to different ones just made symptoms worse & worse for me.

Beauty maybe you should show those people this site? Or I believe Lisa ling did a very confrontational documentary about Benzos where the subject died( not sure how think too triggering for me to watch)

Leann I tried every class of ad and can hand on heart say none of them helped me.

I can definitely relate.

I've gone back and forth between being angry at my doctor, being angry at myself, being angry at both my doctor and myself, and trying to move beyond anger and just focus on getting better. Honestly, I can't believe either my doctor or myself let things get so out of control to a point where I was taking a total of 14mg of Xanex (as prescribed) each day (2 mg Xanex IR x 4 a day and 3mg Xanex XR x 2 a day). I get angry at myself for not recognizing that this was WAY too much Xanex and for not knowing that Xanex, in general, was meant to be short term - and not for years - but I also get angry at my doctor for knowing better and prescribing it month after month.

But, I am definitely more at a place of feeling like being angry won't change anything, and that I should devote that time and energy to healing instead. I feel like this is, for me at least, where I need to be to get better. 

@[ia...]

You are correct, focus on healing.  Carrying a lot of anger around won’t help.  It’s hard enough to deal with the effects of benzos. 

• 2 months later...

I feel discouragement over my doc’s handling of my case. He was trying to help me, but he truly had no idea the harm he was bringing on. To this day, he doesn’t believe gabapentin causes a withdrawal syndrome, and I’ll never unhear him say “I’ve put people on these meds (benzos), but I’ve never tapered anyone off.” He had no idea how to advise when I asked for help tapering after 2 weeks. This was my beloved, trusted obgyn.

As I’ve educated myself this year, I’ve felt every emotion under the sun about the situation and towards my doctors. I have made a conscious decision to steer away from anger/resentment, as I believe it hinders my healing. If I feel it, I allow the emotion...then I remind myself that no one person can take the fall for this. I extend forgiveness to my doctor and myself and try to keep going.

Ladyden, I’d give anything for other people to experience the feelings/sensations we do. I have a batch of deniers in my life that could really benefit from the experience. 😂

I like your thinking, resentment and hate only made things worse for me.....

I'm angry, I'm frustrated. Why? Why did you put me the most potent benzo for a condition I never had? And on top of that, lied to me, told me it was a really low dose, and I'd have no problem stopping.

I think I understand why my Endocrinologist, who couldn't believe I was wrongly prescribed a benzo for a condition with a physical cause, wanted me to tell her who prescribed the benzo. I think she would have been calling that doctor herself. At least she's advocatig for me, she has convinced my current Psych provider to let me experiment with Memantine. She said that theoretically it should work, studies are few, but it addresses the glutumate etoxicity issue by blocking NMDA receptors.

My current Psych provider is great, I'm glad my PCP's Nurse Coordinater suggested going to her.

But it so hard working through the anger and frustration, and it doesn't help I'm Autistic. I had to go back on Risperdal for a few days to try and calm me down. I'm taking the lower of two doses I have, I started with the higher. I'm going to stop it and see how the next few days go. My Endo doesn't want me taking antipsychotics if possible, so I'm only using it to get me over this hump, and help me function.

We need to differentiate anger and resentment. We can be angry, but resentment is harbored ill will/unforgiveness. It's toxic to us because we hold on to negative emotions. Its like punishing yourself for someone else's bad deed.

My docs honestly thought they were helping me. I know this for a fact. Whether out of their ignorance or pride I was done harm, but it was not out of intent to actually harm me. I release them from this.

I am however angry at big pharma and the FDA. FDA knew this was a problem in the past 10 years and literally ignored a 300, 000 person petition. I'd love to go a round with them in a boxing ring....but I have to release them too for my own sake. I trust in a higher power that will one day hold them very accountable for knowingly allowing suffering for the sake of profit or covering their behinds.

Staying in a place of resentment is also like allowing someone to take up residence in your head/heart - but they aren't paying rent to be there. Time for an eviction:)

I go thru phases of being angry now, but like Trina said I really think my dr had no idea this could happen and was trying to help. When I use my rational mind I know that she mustn’t have known or even seen this before, because she is a caring person, which is why I have been her patient for 18 years. Why I’m angry with her is because she doesn’t believe me. I’ve given her so much proof but she still won’t acknowledge it. That makes me very sad. I thought after 18 years she would know me better than that. It’s the drug companies we need to focus our energy at. They know. Look at OxyContin now.

We need to take these companies down, not the drs. They are getting rich from our suffering

https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeung/2020/12/17/despite-years-of-litigation-the-sackler-family-behind-oxycontin-is-still-worth-billions/amp/

As someone who works in biomedical research, the progress in neuroscience/psychiatry has been minimal compared to other disciplines. Sadly the same is true for psychiatrist training. In my biased opinion, many psychiatrists have next-to-nothing understanding of science not to mention neuroscience such as how GABA receptors work. They mistreat patients out of ignorance and arrogance!

I agree that progress in neuroscience lags behind other areas. As someone who not only works in biomedical research but has a medical degree from quite some time ago, that has always been the case. It's not the neuroscientists' fault; it's a reflection of the fact that the brain is much more complicated than other organ systems.

Psychiatrists and other doctors do mistreat patients, but it's not only their fault. Society wants quick fixes for everything and patients do force doctors to prescribe them something even though they know they have a limited arsenal at their disposal.

There are other reasons that neuroscience might lag behind other fields. Perhaps one reason is that poor science in this area seems to be a bigger money spinner than good science. I'm not buying complexity as the main barrier because that doesn't seem to hold us back in other fields.

I find your word choice strange because you must know that a patient had no power to force a doctor to prescribe medication. Again, the problem is caused by money. If patients didn't represent $$$ to psychiatrists, they wouldn't feel any pressure to prescribe and certainly not "forced".

There are other reasons that neuroscience might lag behind other fields. Perhaps one reason is that poor science in this area seems to be a bigger money spinner than good science. I'm not buying complexity as the main barrier because that doesn't seem to hold us back in other fields.

I find your word choice strange because you must know that a patient had no power to force a doctor to prescribe medication. Again, the problem is caused by money. If patients didn't represent $$$ to psychiatrists, they wouldn't feel any pressure to prescribe and certainly not "forced".

Other fields are not as complex as neuroscience. Your money spinner idea makes no sense at all, at least not for neuroscience.

Psychiatry and neuroscience are not the same.

Other fields are not as complex as neuroscience. Your money spinner idea makes no sense at all, at least not for neuroscience.

Psychiatry and neuroscience are not the same.

Can you please tell me what the thought process is behind responding to me that "psychiatry and neuroscience are not the same"? It seems like a non sequitur to me but I get the impression that you think that I equated the two. I didn't, so it's curious to me why you seem to think I did.

Seriously, what is that statement a response to? It reads like it's your rebuttal to my theory that doctors viewing their patients in terms of money puts pressure on doctors to prescribe. The problem is, what you said doesn't address anything that I said. They're not the same. I agree... what's your point?

I have to laugh because I just spent about 10 minutes on a written explanation for someone who can't read properly.  :idiot:

I think my treatment was mangled from the very beginning, but no, I don’t have resentment towards that doctor.  That was 21 years ago.  Benzos helped me for a long time until daily use just started deteriorating my brain and eventually gave me something resembling CFS and major depression.  In my complicated history, I have probably been burned more by antidepressants than anything, even though benzo withdrawal has killed me.  I’d never had depression until I was put on an antidepressant and went cold turkey (forgot my pill bottle when returning from vacation).  Went through a hellish withdrawal and was somehow convinced I would need medication for the rest of my life. 

I have more resentment towards a more recent doctor who kept saying my withdrawal symptoms when tapering were my underlying condition manifesting itself and didn’t support me getting off meds earlier. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [in...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [fr...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [He...]
    • [Es...]
    • [ka...]
    • [PP...]
    • [Ev...]