Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do you have resentment towards the doctor who prescribed benzo?

[Sa...]

Angry at new doctor who made me go cold turkey said  as was on low dose was just placebo effectThen another doctor who prescribed anti depressants which made things even worse in my case. .

I've got resentment against all doctors. I saw a new one yesterday, provided a ER report and explained that I stopped taking medication due to adverse reaction. Also mentioned that I believe my brain is still healing etc etc.

Said I am anxious because the Valium was only masking it and offered me an SSRI! FFS what is wrong with these people.

Unless I'm dying I will not be visiting another doctor once this is over and I can return to work

There is a desperate need for a paradigm shift in medicine, away from pharmaco-"therapy" and towards more sustainable solutions. Physicians prescribe drugs, and yet know nothing about them, and even less about taking people off the drugs. Drugs need to become the option of last resort, to be used only in life-or-death situations.

I've got resentment against all doctors. I saw a new one yesterday, provided a ER report and explained that I stopped taking medication due to adverse reaction. Also mentioned that I believe my brain is still healing etc etc.

Said I am anxious because the Valium was only masking it and offered me an SSRI! FFS what is wrong with these people.

Unless I'm dying I will not be visiting another doctor once this is over and I can return to work

I take it you had bad reaction on citalopram as well. Gave me so many more awful mental symptoms. I went back he put me onto Sertraline was even worse. They don't seem realise some people can have adverse reaction to SSRI's seem to view them as the soft option. They undoubtably do help some people but they seem unaware you need to monitor people's symptoms while on them.

I did have resentment and anger for the prescribing doc who assured me my dose of Ativan was harmless and a pediatric dose.  And also docs since then that have blown me off. But recently I realized holding onto that anger wasn’t helping me towards healing from this whole experience so I am trying very hard to put that behind me and look forward. 

It’s really hard but for me, at least, I need to put my energy in this whole journey ahead of me.

There is a desperate need for a paradigm shift in medicine, away from pharmaco-"therapy" and towards more sustainable solutions. Physicians prescribe drugs, and yet know nothing about them, and even less about taking people off the drugs. Drugs need to become the option of last resort, to be used only in life-or-death situations.

Right on!

No, the physio who told me to get off and ppl who made me too frightened to reinstate properly in 2017 when it still worked and before physical damage was fine to spine and jaw.

As someone who works in biomedical research, the progress in neuroscience/psychiatry has been minimal compared to other disciplines. Sadly the same is true for psychiatrist training. In my biased opinion, many psychiatrists have next-to-nothing understanding of science not to mention neuroscience such as how GABA receptors work. They mistreat patients out of ignorance and arrogance!

I did have resentment and anger for the prescribing doc who assured me my dose of Ativan was harmless and a pediatric dose.  And also docs since then that have blown me off. But recently I realized holding onto that anger wasn’t helping me towards healing from this whole experience so I am trying very hard to put that behind me and look forward. 

It’s really hard but for me, at least, I need to put my energy in this whole journey ahead of me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: the same intensity of anger put it towards recovery! Love it!

Yes. I do feel anger toward the doc.

Why?

I specifically told the doc I did not want to take anything addictive. He told me that Xanax was PRN. Later her suggested I take it every day like I would for diabetic medicine. And, that's how it started.

But, this was his pattern. He was the local drug pusher, writing scripts for opiods and benzos for all.

After someone died after being written 1000 pain pills in one month, the guy lost his medical license and is no longer a doctor. They found other suspicious deaths and ton of people in this area hooked on various drugs

The really bad part is that he now is a rep for a drug company. ARGH!

Not really. The culture of health care, at least in the US, that allows such outcomes to occur is much bigger than any individual physician. If I blame anyone, it's the pharmaceutical companies who incentivize the over-prescription of medications and an underfunded FDA incapable of monitoring and publicizing the risks of any number of drugs.

Pacnik and Sally said it best about how these doctors do not have knowledge of the CNS or GABA receptors; they only know about the purpose and symptoms of the medications that are taught by textbooks and drug companies. I literally spent about 10 minutes giving EVERY doctor my medical history and the vices and drugs I was taking only for them to zone out or cut me off. My reaction to GABA affected drugs is derealization, HORRIBLE stomach pain, and what feels like the flu. After about three months, it subsides. I started to realize that mood enhancing drugs were causing it, so I would tell ALL my doctors about these bizarre reactions, and no one thought that the issue could be my very sensitive CNS and the GABA receptors. I was pushed to be on these drugs, and I did it thinking I was speaking to a highly intelligent individual who knows their field. Come to find out, I was taking advice from someone who only knows how to memorize and regurgitate information. I was hesitant on taking the medication. My doctor has no idea how the CNS works, what GABA receptors can do when they are impacted, or how to get someone off benzos. My doctor didn’t even realize that drinking the amount of caffeine I was on should not be mixed with psych drugs. I was told everything was safe and I was fine. Had my doctor realized I was in withdrawal or having a paradoxical effect when I first got sick, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in now.

To answer your questions, I am filled with anger towards the doctors and the family members who insisted I give the drug a try. My life has been turned upside down, and still no one wants to believe what I am going through. I am just seen as depressed and a big baby who cannot get on with life. Before the drugs, I was on my way to finishing my PhD, teaching college, and holding leadership positions in my teaching career. I now can barely go to work and do as little as possible.

No, no anger or resentment at all.  For one I don’t need that Mental baggage weighing me down and secondly I learned that I have to take responsibility and read up on things before listening to my dr.

My dr has been my gp for 18 years. I’m devastated she didn’t see the flags popping up that could have stopped this from happening. I take some responsibility of course but I had no idea this could happen. Neither did she evidently. I’m disappointed she didn’t give me more time to say hang on, what’s really going on here instead of just handing me a script. The trouble is they don’t have time for those conversations, and neither did I. She sure does now tho, I’m lucky to get out of her office under an hr now. She knows she messed up. The silver lining is this won’t happen to another one of her patients. Too bad for me tho.

Why?

I specifically told the doc I did not want to take anything addictive. He told me that Xanax was PRN. Later her suggested I take it every day like I would for diabetic medicine. And, that's how it started.

But, this was his pattern. He was the local drug pusher, writing scripts for opiods and benzos for all.

After someone died after being written 1000 pain pills in one month, the guy lost his medical license and is no longer a doctor. They found other suspicious deaths and ton of people in this area hooked on various drugs

Now I remember this book, I encourage you to read it:

Peter C. Gotzsche - Deadly Psychiatry and Organised Denial

Why?

Now I remember this book, I encourage you to read it:

Peter C. Gotzsche - Deadly Psychiatry and Organised Denial

Kharma is going to catch up with him one day. Believe it.

There was a series I watched about a girl who had a special power of touching you. When she did, she could FEEL what you're feeling. ( sorry cog fog day - can't recall the name of it)

Anyway, I wish we had that power so we could go up to our Doctor or family and allow them to feel how we feel in withdrawal. Feel the vibrations, headaches, seizure like feeling, boatiness, nausea, akathesia, DR/DP, etc etc

No way they can make stupid comments then!

Yes lady! Because it’s invisible we are not believed. Be proud of yourselves everyone. This is a very hard battle and that we have chosen to stay And fight shows how brave we are. When you heal tell your story in any way you can to prevent this happening to another poor soul. I have been in contact with a welsh film maker who was addicted to the same drug I am on, he has been nominated for a bafta award!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe my Dr prescribed this to me for 7 years..... it's ridiculous, a good therapy would have helped a lot.....

Yes I do.

As someone who works in biomedical research, the progress in neuroscience/psychiatry has been minimal compared to other disciplines. Sadly the same is true for psychiatrist training. In my biased opinion, many psychiatrists have next-to-nothing understanding of science not to mention neuroscience such as how GABA receptors work. They mistreat patients out of ignorance and arrogance!

I agree that progress in neuroscience lags behind other areas. As someone who not only works in biomedical research but has a medical degree from quite some time ago, that has always been the case. It's not the neuroscientists' fault; it's a reflection of the fact that the brain is much more complicated than other organ systems.

Psychiatrists and other doctors do mistreat patients, but it's not only their fault. Society wants quick fixes for everything and patients do force doctors to prescribe them something even though they know they have a limited arsenal at their disposal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]