Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need advice feeling horrible since switch to generic Accord brand of klonopin

[li...]

Hi, up until a few days ago I was given Solco generic klonopin 1mg and splitting the 1mg to take .5mg in the am and .25mg in the pm; weighing it on a gram scale to stay consistent. I asked my psych to switch me to .5mg strength tablets since it would be easier to taper and have less cutting to do.  I didn’t know that Riteaid would fill my script with a different generic brand - Accord. The Accord .5mg feels very weak. I’m having more pronounced withdrawal symptoms and the little bit of stability I achieved with a long hold is gone.

My question is, what generic brand did any of you do best on? How do you get a pharmacy to fill the script with a certain generic brand? This Accord brand is horrible. I don’t even know if my psych would write me a new script before the next 30 day refill. Had your presciber ever done that for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It’s so hard dealing with all this red tape and stress while going through this nightmare withdrawal.

With many medications and not just psyche meds, changing brand/pharma company can truly affect how we tolerate meds.

In the past i have gone back to the pharmacy and told them I cannot switch brands as it affects me differently (in another good way..). They can usually get a new order for you and make not i your file that you need to have a certain brand.

Sometimes though, they cannot get the med from a certain distributor and resort to using a different one.

Hi, up until a few days ago I was given Solco generic klonopin 1mg and splitting the 1mg to take .5mg in the am and .25mg in the pm; weighing it on a gram scale to stay consistent. I asked my psych to switch me to .5mg strength tablets since it would be easier to taper and have less cutting to do.  I didn’t know that Riteaid would fill my script with a different generic brand - Accord. The Accord .5mg feels very weak. I’m having more pronounced withdrawal symptoms and the little bit of stability I achieved with a long hold is gone.

My question is, what generic brand did any of you do best on? How do you get a pharmacy to fill the script with a certain generic brand? This Accord brand is horrible. I don’t even know if my psych would write me a new script before the next 30 day refill. Had your presciber ever done that for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It’s so hard dealing with all this red tape and stress while going through this nightmare withdrawal.

Hi Lilpea..

You might also find some stuff in this Support Group..

I think ones Dr can write “dispense as written” or similar on the script, and state the generic/brand wanted... Just a chat with the pharmacy might do the trick though..

If returning your current tablets, you will probs find you need a new script (depending on your country), -and have to hand the old ones in too maybe...

-Perhaps a quick call to your Dr..??

:)

I hope you can get back on the brand you felt stable on. Any responsible doctor should be willing to make the change if a patient has such a terrible reaction like you had.

It is not clear whether your symptoms are caused by the switch in brands. You just tapered 25% of your Klonopin over the past month. That is a hefty decrease and can also explain your symptoms.

Even if there is as much as 5% difference in Klonopin content (which I believe is rare) between the two generics, the 25% decrease far exceeds this and is a likely factor in causing symptoms.

Maugham1, I see your point but I got very familiar with my withdrawal symptoms on the Solco generic at .75mg. The switch to the Accord generic has a markedly different feeling. Like I’m gonna lose it. It feels weaker. It’s hard to describe but it was a relief to read the link sent by cantfly; a support group for this issue with generic klonopin.

I see you’re on klonopin. What brand are you on?

Maugham1, I see your point but I got very familiar with my withdrawal symptoms on the Solco generic at .75mg. The switch to the Accord generic has a markedly different feeling. Like I’m gonna lose it. It feels weaker. It’s hard to describe but it was a relief to read the link sent by cantfly; a support group for this issue with generic klonopin.

I see you’re on klonopin. What brand are you on?

I'm not going to argue about how you feel, only you can decide what's best for you. To answer your question, I'm not on klonopin anymore because I switched to valium a long time ago. So far, it's been more or less smooth sailing since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had worse results when my local cvs stopped carrying the brand of K I was used to. Thankfully I caught it right as I left so I just returned it.  Then I called around to every other location and different pharmacy until I could get someone that would tell me they had the brand I wanted. Then I had the Rx transferred. Some locations refused to tell me what brand they carried. Which is annoying to say the least.

Good luck in your search.

How do you get a pharmacy to fill the script with a certain generic brand?

You just ask them! Or get your doc to do it on the script.

I didn't want to change generic diazepam brands so first asked the pharmacist who said, sure. But he suggested that my doc write it on every script so it would be "official" and it would be put in my chart.

i had a problem when the pharmacy changed beta blockers on me (weird side effects) and mentioned this to him. He said he'd just record in my chart the brand I wanted. No problem. Even though he has to special order it for me, he agreed to do this. With a smile.

so . . . you might just try asking your pharmacist.

Hope things work out.

Katz

BigSky and oregonkatz, thanks for the tips. Can’t believe I’m at the mercy of this little pill and pharmacies.

Wishing you all well in your journey

Lilpea,

As long as they still carry your brand, as others have said, have your doc write scrip for that brand. Most pharmacies can order it provided the manufacturer still makes it. I ran into the same problem when my Mylan brand was discontinued. I had to switch to brand name K. Initially it was a bit bumpy, then it improved some, now I’m in bad tolerance, getting very ill one year later. For me, it is simply not the same med. I’m super sensitive. But I know many are to brand changes as the strength can vary.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best,

Sun

Thank you Sun, for sharing your experience with your brand switch. Makes me feel validated and that it’s not all in my head. I too am going through tolerance problems. Too scared to taper any further with this crap generic.

Thank you Everyone for your advice.  I can’t handle the stress of dealing with my doctor. I have bad insurance and he’s my only option. Nor the stress of pharmacies (many which treat you like a drug seeking addict or neurotic crazy person) so out of trying to avoid stress which exacerbates my tapering symptoms, I’ve stayed on the Accord K brand and it’s still not feeling that great but the severe adjustment period has lessened. I still feel it’s a subpar brand of K. I don’t even know if the Solco in the .5mg size will be consistent with the 1mg Solco I was cutting in half and weighing.

I see more clearly now that part of the reason I started this thread was to get klonopin users to share what brand they were on and compare experiences and to see if anyone else was having problems with the Accord brand. I’m in California.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]