Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Avoiding setbacks longterm

[Fp...]

Do people that heal have to always be on the lookout for things that cause setbacks? Stress, alcohol, foods, medicines, etc.

I am noticing that certain things like sugar and obviously alcohol can cause a flare up of symptoms.

Do people that heal have to be hypervigilant for the rest of their lives. Its scary to think that one wrong move could throw you back into the depths oh hell.

Has anyone ever healed and moved on without having to constantly worry about what food, medicine, or drink that they put in their mouth?

Thanks,

Fp

I don't call it healed if you're scared of your shadow. People may develop sensitivities or become more affected by them but that's normal. It doesn't require hypervigilance, usually. Such hypervigilance would often be more harmful than what you're trying to avoid.

I think I'll always be wary of alcohol from now on but that's no big deal because it doesn't seem like a good idea anyhow.

It seems that we're vulnerable to setbacks for a few years and during that time, I would say it is wise to be a little cautious about how you lead your life.

I've never seen a story where someone is like "I had a terrible withdrawal 10 years ago, was fine, but last week I ate X and I was flung back into acute withdrawal".

2-3 years later? Very rarely.

10 years later? Never seen it.

Speaking as someone who is only 2 months clear of benzos who could have asked the same question as you only a year ago, when things start to improve, your mindset will not be the same. It's very much the benzos that fuels this sense of hypervigilance.

Thanks Diaz e bam,

I agree, If fearing setbacks is inbthe back of my mind, I will not consider myself healed until I can move forward without the fear of a setback.

Im nearly two years off and am noticing sensitivity to sugar, especially. Some say two years off is still "early" with a lot of healing to still take place. Im a little better now than a year ago but still suffering chest pains, palpitations, and internal tremors. Im starting to question whether complete healing actually occurs. Ive been dealing with the chest pains and palpitations for over a year now.. I have read of many that healed between 2 and 3 years, so I am holding on to hope that my time is coming soon. I guess Im just tired and frustrated. Not much I can do but keep trudging forward.

Thanks again,

Fp

I just posted on another thread about my experience, I recovered at 14 months and since that time I've never had another problem associated with my benzo use or withdrawal, no PTSD, no sensitivities to anything in life I didn't have before. I enjoy good mental and physical health and I've never had a setback, please don't let fear keep you from having hope.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]