Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Let’s talk about dizziness

[cr...]

Not sure if it’s the weather where I live (pressure in the air) or my allergies/sinuses or maybe even my blood pressure, but for the past two days I’ve been EXTREMELY DIZZY. I feel like I’m rocking back and forth on a boat. And I’m experiencing internal shakiness. I know these are common from benzodiazepines, but what do y’all do for this? I’ve just started a job and I work tomorrow and I’m scared of this happening there.

Congrats on your new job!

I hope it goes away in just a few days for you, cruelsummer02. You can go to the doctor, and if it's BPPV (vertigo), there are some moves that can help you overcome it quickly.

But I don't have any words of encouragement because I woke up dizzy on May 28, and it hasn't gone away for even one moment since then. It's becoming a struggle and is getting in the way of my ability to work, read, drive, exercise, etc. For me it feels like it's my brain that's rocking on a boat—or like a camera lens zooming in and out. It's just a strange, disorienting, throbbing, wobbly sensation in my brain.

I could use some hope and would also love to hear about how others overcame this!

Ohhhhh guys.

I was convinced I had BPPV or Menieres for months.

I remember feeling like I was permanently on a boat. It was awful.

Guess what?

It goes away. 100% it goes away. I promise you don’t have BPPV and those head turns and exercises probably won’t help you. There’s nothing you can do to make the dizziness stop but wait.

This is a symptom I don’t miss. I saw so many docs. They noticed I had nystagmus. But no one could figure out why I was so dizzy. I was healthy.

Lol. It was withdrawal.

Sadly I'm on that rocking ship too. Sometimes it's bobbing up and down. Pushing and pulling force like on a elevator going down and up fast. Other times I'm spinning as if someone was swinging me in circles. Floating away sometimes. Rocking back and forth like on a boat ( this is my main sensation).

It happened all of a sudden towards the end of my taper. Mine is so bad that I'm bedridden. Can't stand up for more than a few minutes, can't walk around, can't drive, cook, etc. I do exercises in bed. Just started trying to walk yesterday for 10 minutes. Immediately put me in a wave that is just now easing up. All we can do is wait it out until our brains heal it. There's a dizziness thread if you guys want to take a peek.

Mine has been getting worse too  :( along with with neck/shoulder/jaw tension and pain. My theory on this is that wd making my sleep clenching much worse which is causing the muscle tension in jaw/neck area, which is known to cause dizziness and lightheadedness feeling. Sometimes my neck gets so tense I can barely swallow  :'(. My dentist also confirmed this theory as well. I read your bio in signature and looks like you’re struggling with the same issues, so I wonder if it could be related. Are you also coming up on one year off this poison?

I'm with you. Second taper ended >60 days and still really bothered by vertigo.  Sometimes intermittent during one day, others all day for 3-4 days in a row. Seems random as can wake from sleep with it, but if accidentally get MSG or low blood sugar, can definitely trigger event. I was told to use 50mg dramamine. Sometimes very helpful, others only mildly so.

Our vertigo may be more "central" (brain itself) than vestibular (ear canal related), because of the Benzos effects. The cerebellum at the back of the skull is major center of coordination and balance.  Here's video to help distinguish between the two types.

If you think it could be positional, this is helpful.  Dr. Carol Foster explains the somersault maneuver.

Hang in there.

Thx hothot. You hang in there as well. Yes there's a thread on here explaining what's happening in the brain. Absolutely fabulous post! Wish I could hug Parker for posting it. Our brains have to have time to heal. Some said dizziness stayed with them a long time but one day....poof gone. Funny how, I use to love being spun around at recess when I was a kid. The dizzied the better. But now.....not fun

I can't wait until *poof* it's gone. I'm having a hard time believing that will ever happen after 4 months without any relief from the dizziness. Has anything helped? Maybe dietary changes? I'm already eating very clean, low glutamate, low tyramine, decaf coffee (just too hard to give up my morning cup!), no chocolate, no dairy, etc... I'd love to hear any suggestions for relief. Thanks!

No, nothing will help it but time. I'm sorry everyone but that's fact. I also eat clean: low glutamate, no preservatives, gluten free, no dairy, no caffeine ( not even decaf), etc

This is very debilitating & frustrating for us. Mine varies as well. It varies in intensity as well as the type ( boaty, spinning, floating, pushing pulling, etc). If I had a magic wand I would make all of us not have this. I read that the part of the brain that was most affected will cause the worst & most persistent symptoms. It makes sense because if it was most affected, it would need more time to repair. Like a dart board...the spot that gets hit the most will have the most marks.

I can't wait until *poof* it's gone. I'm having a hard time believing that will ever happen after 4 months without any relief from the dizziness. Has anything helped?...

If you are looking for immediate short term relief, I find that running a deep bath with bubbles in (not very manly, I am a short shower guy!) and letting my head float in the water so that only my nose is out the water- helps at the time. Relief doesn't last though. So I stay in as long as possible, and do deep breathing exercises at the same time. Very best of luck with it. Really hope it ends soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]