Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Blood pressure and Beta Blockers

[cr...]

I’m relatively young and healthy. My blood pressure is always super normal when I’m at home, but once I’m out in public it goes sky high. I went to the doctor today and before going blood pressure was 118/71, once there it was 168/81. My doctor suggested Propranolol to take as needed in the lowest dose. I’ve never been on a beta blocker but I feel as if I will have to try something. My parents both have high blood pressure and I’m starting a new job (first since tapering) Thursday. If anyone can give me some insight on this medication or your experience I would appreciate it.

Beta blockers cause physical dependance and need to be tapered if one wants to discontinue using them. Prof. Ashton recommends 10 mg propanolol, which is equivalent to 5 mg atenolol. Propanolol crosses blood-brain barrier while atenolol does not, which is why it might be a better choice, especially for benzo-addled brains.

Do you have agoraphobia at all because of benzos? It sounds like you're nervous when you go out. Have you had this before or is it since the benzos? If it's since the benzos, it'll go away. Your normal bp at home sounds great. You could take your readings at home to the doctor and show him/her.

I think propranolol is the right medication for you to take. It can be taken as needed, and starting out at 10 mg. sounds good. It does lower heart rate.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my doctor knows about my blood pressure when I’m at home compared to in public areas. It definitely is in the same spectrum with social anxiety. She also knows about my benzo withdrawal/problems and thinks this will help when I need it. I’m going to give it a shot when I got out tomorrow and see. This will definitely not be something I take everyday, only as needed. And before benzodiazepines, I was a social butterfly. Now my blood pressure goes sky high for reasons I don’t know why. It’s sad really.

Do you have agoraphobia at all because of benzos? It sounds like you're nervous when you go out. Have you had this before or is it since the benzos? If it's since the benzos, it'll go away. Your normal bp at home sounds great. You could take your readings at home to the doctor and show him/her.

I think propranolol is the right medication for you to take. It can be taken as needed, and starting out at 10 mg. sounds good. It does lower heart rate.

Thanks for the reply! I do not have any breathing problems that I know of. I’m hoping this will help at least some. I’m going to have to go back to work and this will be really helpful if it works.

Please make sure if you take prapanalol, you do not have breathing issues like asthma.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my doctor knows about my blood pressure when I’m at home compared to in public areas. It definitely is in the same spectrum with social anxiety. She also knows about my benzo withdrawal/problems and thinks this will help when I need it. I’m going to give it a shot when I got out tomorrow and see. This will definitely not be something I take everyday, only as needed. And before benzodiazepines, I was a social butterfly. Now my blood pressure goes sky high for reasons I don’t know why. It’s sad really.

Don't worry. Just stay the course! It's the sympathetic nervous system that goes into high gear when you go out in public, part of the limbic brain that sets off flight-or-flight alarms and causes your bp to temporarily be high. The deep calm you used to feel was hijacked to use for the benzos. Now it's healing so that you can have a balanced life once more. It may take some time, but you'll get there again!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]