Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Finding the right doctor

[2c...]

I had a great relationship with my primary care about doing a taper on my own schedule then she suddenly had to quit practicing for personal reasons. I’ve tried two new primary care docs and they speak to me like an addict and suggest going to a “walk in clinic” for withdrawal support.  They also do not prescribe controlled substances. How does one find a primary care or psychiatrist who will support ?

I tapered and then held for several years  but am starting to taper again and finding my symptoms are off the chart. Would like to have a doctor on board.

Which benzo are you taking? I don't know if you realise but you included the amount but not the benzo in your signature. Unless I'm having a moment!

Yeah, it's tough having the patronising, ignorant doctor. I'm sorry that your luck ran out if you had a good one. I hope you learned from them, in case you can't get another good one. My advice is that making phone calls to explain the specific support you need and asking whether they would be prepared to help you taper at your pace. You could ask what knowledge and experience they have and make an informed choice of doctor. I have never done this myself but I don't know how else you could do it. I don't know how much money it would cost.

Thanks for your reply, Diaz-e-BAM, By the way it is Ativan sorry. I will update signature.

I did have a cooperative doctor and I should have taken advantage of that sooner.  I had become complacent about where I was at in tapering.  I thought some moderate symptoms I was having was due to another condition I had been diagnosed with. In retrospect I believe it was the Ativan. Now I’m getting worried about being cut off while I start tapering again, this time determined to complete. I would also like a doc that is supportive of the process.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me can help you with some tips to find a better doctor. In case that doesn't happen soon enough, I would suggest that it is more likely that your doctor tries to pressure you into an unrealistically fast taper. It's probably a good idea to think about how you would respond. My advice is to treat it like a negotiation. It's easy to be bullied because of the doctor's authority but if you stand your ground, they will likely budge.

Nobody should have this problem of ignorant doctors treating them like an addict. You shouldn't have to be difficult to avoid being put on a treatment plan that is going to cause you harm... but that might be what you have to do.

2 cats, I had a similar problem. My psychiatrist, who initially prescribed my benzo (Ativan) left the practice. I was unhappy with her anyhow, and asked my primary if she would continue the prescription and to my horro, she said she wouldn't . . . that she wouldn't prescribe benzos for anyone,  even given the fact that I wanted to taper. So I started phoning around and ended up with a Nurse Practitioner. That was the best decision I ever made. She was completely supportive of me and my taper, read the Ashton Manual, and helped me plan a crossover to Valium using Ashton. When my taper got really hard and I had to slow down and do a daily liquid microtaper, she was supportive and let me do what I needed to. She said she didn't care how long I had to hold at any particular point, as long as the general direction was down. I never had to worry about being cut off my valium or being urged to go faster. She was a godsend.

Maybe something like this would work for you?

Best,

Katz

Ashton clearly outlines why it is hard to taper Ativan and why it is helpful switching to a long-acting benzo, such as diazepam (Valium). It is hard to find a doctor who will help the transition but it's worth it.

Thanks for the replies.  I didn’t think about a nurse Practitioner.  That might be a good idea. I know of one close to me that I’ve heard good things about.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]