Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hi!

[su...]

I'm almost 37 years old, male. I've been on benzos the better part of 12 years. Can't remember how many times that I've tried to stop. My psych providers always said I was on a low dose (.5 - 1mg Klonopin 2x day) and it shouldn't be a problem stopping. You know the story...

At the beginning of this year I decided that I wanted off the benzos for good. I talked to my current provider and made an initial plan to reduce by 1/4 pill every 2 weeks. I told him that was probably too much and asked him about the Ashton Method. He dismissed me, saying he didn't want to prescribe Valium since it "kicks in too fast" and said since I was taking a low dose I "shouldn't have any problems".

I got him to help me to go slower, and I'm currently down to .25mg klonopin. I've been holding here for awhile as the start of lockdown was hard. I also have a pretty stressful job that I can't screw up on as I need it to survive and for insurance. It's tough because I have so many symptoms and feel like I can't tell anyone and no one takes me seriously.

Does anyone know of a support group in the Seattle area? I've been looking for an in-person one but can't find any. I'm in a therapy group but it isn't related to benzos, more mental health support, but no one in it is familiar with benzo withdrawal.

Hello superpopelectro!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You're wise to be cautious about your taper.  It's so good you found this forum - you'll find good information and support here to help you plan and get through the rest of your taper.  Members understand what this process is like and there's a lot of collective wisdom here.  The forum has been a lifeline for many of us.

The taper rate we typically suggest makes significantly smaller cuts than you've been making.  It's not unusual for the medical profession to not be as benzo savvy as we'd hope.  We generally suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer depending on how manageable your symptoms are - this is the best way we know of to help ensure you're able to function as well as possible. 

Many members taper successfully without crossing over to valium - it's not necessarily the best tapering method for every individual.  You'll find a few methods described on the boards.  One option for you to consider might be tapering with a liquid form of Klonopin to make it easier to take smaller doses.

Please explore the site at your own pace and feel free to post.  Here are links to boards where you may want to start a new topic with your questions:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you're here!  Please reach out for support-

Brighterday    :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]