Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Big setback from stress???

[Sh...]

Has anyone suffered a big setback from stress before? My wave setbacks in the past have just come from chemicals like if I have some booze or a pain killer etc. However, I was doing some silly things like gambling for a few days in a row with friends and it was really stressful. I feel like I got sent back to acute and even have a new symptom of heart skipping beats and fluttering which I've literally never had before.

It's been about 6 weeks now and I am concerned. This is defintely not just gaba/glutmate issues we are dealing with.

Our bodies are so sensitive after all of this...many ppl and myself are sensitive to stress. Stress releases its own chemical changes the body, and we are sensitive to these changes..which can put us in a wave or a rough spell. This is what makes us realize we are still healing and how it really does take time - and that we need to be very kind to ourselves.

So you're normal:)

Absolutely Shamo3 - stress is really hard on our over-sensitized system in withdrawal. 

I remember around 2 months after I jumped I traveled at Thanksgiving to visit family; I had a very emotional disagreement with a family member -I spun into a horrible wave that took  several weeks to fade.  It really made it clear that I had to be very careful about keeping stress as low as possible while I healed. 

I also had the palpitations you describe and they have faded too over time. 

Take care,

Brighterday

This mechanism of setbacks makes benzo neurotoxicity a really weird illness. It's as if someone holds a gun to your head and says "If you freak out, I'll shoot".

That's a great way to describe it, pacenik!

It's a tough balance with stuff like this. Absolutely stress can cause setbacks but if you're so avoidant of potential stress that you don't get out of bed, that's no good either. I could have gone to a friend's birthday celebration the other week. If I didn't have to travel and stay overnight, I maybe would have gone along and not drunk alcohol and leave early if I feel like it, basically show my face and some sort of exposure therapy because it's not like I do this stuff regularly. As it is, I'd have to stay with a friend and wouldn't feel able to escape if it became too much and it'd all be a bit too intense.

I made a lot of improvement when I started to limit social engagement and focus totally on taking it easy and living cleanly (most of the time). Coronavirus measures brought this about. I have been doing so much better and I put a lot of it down to managing stress levels. Having that pressure taken away because the options to be much more active weren't there, was an unexpected blessing.

I'm 3 years off this month... beyond stressed... today, I feel like I'm back in month 1. I don't know what happened but I'm broken. Heart palps all of the time. I take an ekg on my Apple Watch way too often. Seriously, stressed out due to construction projects and fires in LA - so I'm stuck in the house -and today I seriously feel like I'm back at month one.

It's absolutely crazy. It really proves to me that the main benzo issue isn't even the gaba downregulation. Sure that's part of the issue but a weak CNS is the main thing we have to heal.

Calgirl- I went from feeling pretty darn good the best I've felt in recovery for ages and now feel like I took a heap of benzos again. Hoping that because we haven't taken any chemicals that we will bounce back to where we were fairly soon but it's been 6 weeks for me now. I've got heart palps that are weird too for the first time ever. I also now can't really feel any sensations in my brain or body. If I have a coffee I can't feel a buzz. If I eat food I can't really feel it in my stomach even...?

Yes Shamo, for sure with the stress.  Under a lot at the moment with family stuff and anxiety is peaking.  Hope it's short lived.  Can't help but think more than deregulated gaba, but I don't really know.  Ignorance is not bliss. 

Loved your description, "if you freak out, I'll shoot", pacenik.  Sums it up completely. 

Dee

:smitten:

GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter of our nervous system. The one thing we all have in common on a chemical level is GABA downregulation. It's this lack of inhibition that leads to way too much excitation and all the uncomfortable (and worse) withdrawal symptoms that we all are aware of. Anybody with GABA downregulation also has damage to their CNS, by definition. It is true to say that it is not the only way that the CNS becomes damaged, but it is the main way. Other damage follows because of the CNS compensating for this imbalance.

Exposing yourself to stress while trying to recover is kind of like trying to clean the floor wearing muddy shoes. I'm sorry for anybody forced by circumstance to have to do this. It is still possible to clean your floor, it just might get very messy in the process. For anybody who is struggling who has the possibility to reduce stress should seriously consider making some changes.

• Like 1

I made a lot of improvement when I started to limit social engagement and focus totally on taking it easy and living cleanly (most of the time). Coronavirus measures brought this about. I have been doing so much better and I put a lot of it down to managing stress levels. Having that pressure taken away because the options to be much more active weren't there, was an unexpected blessing.

Hey Diaz-e-BAM

That's something we have in common: covid-19 helped me change my life and better control my exposure to stress. Remote working has definitely helped me.

SG

Has anyone suffered a big setback from stress before? My wave setbacks in the past have just come from chemicals like if I have some booze or a pain killer etc. However, I was doing some silly things like gambling for a few days in a row with friends and it was really stressful. I feel like I got sent back to acute and even have a new symptom of heart skipping beats and fluttering which I've literally never had before.

It's been about 6 weeks now and I am concerned. This is defintely not just gaba/glutmate issues we are dealing with.

i'm 20 months off diazepam (Valium) and last 4 weeks i'm in a bad wave because stress things is my longest bad wave since a year i'm afraid it won't end but we shall see :(

There are people out there like us, SG. I know I would have found a way to get through but the improvement was so drastic once life slowed down that I have to think I'd be far behind where I am now in my recovery if not for coronavirus. That doesn't make me glad about it but I'm glad it has helped me to see so clearly the value of living a simple, stress free life while recovering. I wouldn't have thought it would make that big of a difference.

Is it too much to hope that a significant number of people have learned the value of slowing things down? I'll be glad when things become a bit more normal but feel there's a collective lesson that we're definitely not going to learn!

Hello, I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm very sensitive too anything, food, chemical, smoke, perfume, heat, humidity, co workers opinions, other peoples personality, driving, traffic, going far places, cant stay out to long. I had to change career from fulltime to part time job. I could not function. I'm literally mentally and physically disabled. I constantly have to stay under the radar and lay low. Something that I'm not, but forced to do in order to survive and heal. Most of my set backs, stress comes from work then home.

i'm 20 months off diazepam (Valium) and last 4 weeks i'm in a bad wave because stress things is my longest bad wave since a year i'm afraid it won't end but we shall see :(

Hi Nijmegen, I believe we are in the same country.

I am new to this thread where I didn’t dare to read until now.

Does anybody here have experience with Magnesium Bisglycinate supplement?

Or with Bach rescue?

Trying to ease anxiety.

Reading this thread I start to believe this difficult for me to understand phenomenon.

I thought ending the taper in a good state will continue ... the anxiety was a nasty surprise.

Stress triggers waves ,definitely.

Its really disheartening. To get a setback from something not even related to drugs is worrying. Especially becauee I have a new synptom. I knew stress and anxiety can throw you off for a few days or a week as Ive had that in the past but to feel like all your healing is undone and get thrown back months is crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
This is crazy I literally feel like ive gone back worse than acute. How can this have anything to do with gaba receptors anymore i havent taken anything as drugs or meds for ages. Its been 2 months and still suffering the setback.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]