Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Complete memory loss anyone? Scared

[ee...]

[ee...]
I have complete memory loss both short term and long term. Can’t remember anything from my life😔 anyone? Please, I’m so scared because of that symptom.

I had that, and still do but it has eased a bit and actually get an hour here and there of it lifting completely.

It will pass, try not to freak out about it

I got hit with that symptom during acute withdrawals and couldn't even hold a single thought long enough to write it down or begin to contemplate it  There were so many tangents in my thought process that I would often end up cyclically returning to the start point of my attempts to access memories.  Sometimes it was a too slow sensation And sometimes it was way to fast.  It was like something just kept turning me in a circle when I approached a blank wall.

I huddled in a ball and suffered through it as I thought it was just my new reality as I knew nothing about Benzos at the time. 

Eventually I came out of it and hit the opposite extreme= life review type memories with severe emotions attached to the photo quality perfect memories that hurt really bad.  I actually preferred the no memory side of the system reset pendulum swing.

[76...]

Dissociation can cause total amnesia. DR DP is dissociation. I have had it for a long time. Some dissociate so bad they forget their name who they are or things from the past. Its a stress response its a defense mechanism. Awful and scary yes. I know. I thought I was someone else last week. I dissociate so bad I forget my identity.

Read about dissociation....

I have dissociation with amnesia and DR DP as a result from my w/d.

[ee...]

Dissociation can cause total amnesia. DR DP is dissociation. I have had it for a long time. Some dissociate so bad they forget their name who they are or things from the past. Its a stress response its a defense mechanism. Awful and scary yes. I know. I thought I was someone else last week. I dissociate so bad I forget my identity.

Do dissociation slow down your brain and leave you unable to sleep and feel no difference between being up and asleep, does it feels like your brain is switching off more everyday? I’m almost without my brain functions and everyday is worse, I have total insomnia because all of those feeling. I feel like my brain doesn’t wake up like it is dead, I feel like there is no brain function in my brain it is physical feeling of brain being stifled in the under active state, brain sleeping. I researched dissociation and found nobody that would have loss of vision like I have I can’t see the brightness (sunlight for example). And on web site of dissociation I found nobody that would actually lose memory they don’t don’t feel connected to their memories. 😔

[76...]

Do dissociation slow down your brain and leave you unable to sleep and feel no difference between being up and asleep, does it feels like your brain is switching off more everyday? I’m almost without my brain functions and everyday is worse, I have total insomnia because all of those feeling. I feel like my brain doesn’t wake up like it is dead, I feel like there is no brain function in my brain it is physical feeling of brain being stifled in the under active state, brain sleeping. I researched dissociation and found nobody that would have loss of vision like I have I can’t see the brightness (sunlight for example). And on web site of dissociation I found nobody that would actually lose memory they don’t don’t feel connected to their memories. 😔

Dissociative amnesia. The main symptom is memory loss that's more severe than normal forgetfulness and that can't be explained by a medical condition. You can't recall information about yourself or events and people in your life, especially from a traumatic time. Dissociative amnesia can be specific to events in a certain time, such as intense combat, or more rarely, can involve complete loss of memory about yourself. It may sometimes involve travel or confused wandering away from your life (dissociative fugue). An episode of amnesia usually occurs suddenly and may last minutes, hours, or rarely, months or years.

Dissociative identity disorder. Formerly known as multiple personality disorder, this disorder is characterized by "switching" to alternate identities. You may feel the presence of two or more people talking or living inside your head, and you may feel as though you're possessed by other identities. Each identity may have a unique name, personal history and characteristics, including obvious differences in voice, gender, mannerisms and even such physical qualities as the need for eyeglasses. There also are differences in how familiar each identity is with the others. People with dissociative identity disorder typically also have dissociative amnesia and often have dissociative fugue.

Depersonalization-derealization disorder. This involves an ongoing or episodic sense of detachment or being outside yourself — observing your actions, feelings, thoughts and self from a distance as though watching a movie (depersonalization). Other people and things around you may feel detached and foggy or dreamlike, time may be slowed down or sped up, and the world may seem unreal (derealization). You may experience depersonalization, derealization or both. Symptoms, which can be profoundly distressing, may last only a few moments or come and go over many years.

Yes DP can make time feel slow or like the brain is slow down.

It feels for me like I am in a dreamy state all the time. My mind is mute. Is blank feels like I cant think. I have no inner monoluge or pictures. Its gone

I cant see colours. Its grey . Or very blurry

I wish I had multiple personality disorder and could switch into a healthy person who feels good.

Believe me you wouldnt, its awful to feel like you are someone else. This morning I didnt know I am married or who my husband is. I have issues knowing who I am...I get very confused.

I understand what you are meaning...but it is really scary. .

I dont have different identites I just feel like I am another version of me. But still sick. I loose my memory totally.... :'(

I completely agree, sundance. This is speaking as someone who went through something a bit more extreme than just mood swings but not as bad as multiple personalities. Some mildly psychotic elements. But yeah, as someone who has had just the smallest taste of confusion around my identity, I couldn't be flippant about it. It's a very lonely and frightening experience.

I remember who you are, Akul. You are a champion warrior with proven pedigree. You're getting some really nasty symptoms but they won't last forever. You're going to survive this and get well. Hopefully you will have no memory of this when you are fit and well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]