Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alcohol wd vs benzo wd

[Wi...]

My brother claims that alcohol withdrawal is basically the same as benzo withdrawal. Because both target the GABA. What do you think about that statement?  :o

[5f...]
All GABAA-targeting drugs (e.g. alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiezepines, z-drugs, etc.) appear to have similar withdrawal reactions, yes. However, it appears that it's much harder to get addicted to alcohol than it is to get addicted on pills. Maybe it's because people don't binge-drink regularly, but take pills every day, maybe it has something to do with different binding profile of alcohol, who knows.

There are similarities in terms of specific action in the brain, after all, they will give a detoxing alcohol patient a benzo, I've been through both, cold turkey from alcohol and from Klonopin and alcohol was a piece of cake compared to benzo's.  Alcohol involved behavioral changes which were challenging but physically, I was nauseous, had some tremors and insomnia but felt great within days.  Klonopin was a horrific experience which lasted 14 months. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]