Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anxiety

[He...]

Does anyone have major anxiety? This could be if you

are on the benzo, off, or tapering. It is a HUGE issue

for me and big reason I got on benzo to begin with.

Maybe we could share what helps. I got to stay

in the present for starters. Anxiety can make me

want to take a dose/ that is no longer there. Thanks.

Anxiety brought me to benzos in the first place and it has been my worst symptom in withdrawal by far.  I'm almost a year post jump and it has become mostly manageable for me.  It was horrible and made me completely miserable up until about 8 months or so but eased up gradually.  It's a big challenge to develop an arsenal of tools to cope with anxiety - it takes practice but over time the regular consistent practice pays off.

You are on the right track about staying in the present.

Things that helped me:

Staying away from caffeine, minimizing chocolate and sugar.

Getting as much rest as possible.

Eating regularly so my blood sugar didn't fluctuate so much.

Staying well hydrated by drinking plenty of water

Getting daily exposure to the sun for vit D

Meditating daily with Headspace app - helps me get distance from anxious thought loops and to "change the channel"

4-7-8 breathing - breathe in for count of 4, hold for 7, exhale for count of 8

Moderate exercise everyday - this is HUGE in smoothing out the jagged edges of anxiety

Chamomile tea (controversial, but it helped me a lot)

Warm baths with Epsom salts, lavender oil in dark bathroom with a candle and soothing music

Propranolol as needed for adrenaline surges and palpitations that triggered panic loops

Yoga

Walks in nature

Distraction - gardening, tidying, cleaning, drawing, watching funny or absorbing movies, etc.

There are a lot of good ideas and support on Anxiety

Wishing you much healing,

Brighterday

I have strong anxiety the moment I write this. Sometimes it is so strong that there is almost nothing else for me to do than to lie still and wait for it to subside. It completely paralyses me. These episodes make me think I will never manage to get off this drug. My doc tells me to look for distraction like coloring, walking or whatever else you can think of. And that is a good advice when the anxiety is more or less manageble. But when it is very strong this is almost impossible for me. Still I know it is best to start and do something. Breathing exercise or meditation with soft music for instance. Also I have to keep telling myself that it is withdrawal. I can also updose my Diazepam but that is something I want to avoid. I think these episodes of high anxiety indicate that I am tapering too fast, and when this episode subsides which I hope it does I will have to slow down my taper more than I already did. I will try to hold my dose for now.

I have strong anxiety the moment I write this. Sometimes it is so strong that there is almost nothing else for me to do than to lie still and wait for it to subside. It completely paralyses me. These episodes make me think I will never manage to get off this drug. My doc tells me to look for distraction like coloring, walking or whatever else you can think of. And that is a good advice when the anxiety is more or less manageble. But when it is very strong this is almost impossible for me. Still I know it is best to start and do something. Breathing exercise or meditation with soft music for instance. Also I have to keep telling myself that it is withdrawal. I can also updose my Diazepam but that is something I want to avoid. I think these episodes of high anxiety indicate that I am tapering too fast, and when this episode subsides which I hope it does I will have to slow down my taper more than I already did. I will try to hold my dose for now.

You're right, anxiety is a common symptoms and having a lot of it is an indication you're cutting too fast. You're not giving your body enough time to stabilize so it can counteract glutamate which is an excitatory neurotransmitter.

I have been using the calm app - breathing, mediations and sleep stories

I play them all night.

Sometimes a nice good cry/meltdown helps me

A nice walk, always feel better after, though I don’t do it as much as I should.

Re organizing cabinets and closet - esp at night when I cant sleep

Sometimes I jump rope - and I’m over weight so it doesn’t take much to complete wear me out but it definitely Stops my head even if for a few moments.

Wish I could figure out what to do about gi issues though and waking up with adrenaline surges every morning

This has been rough ...

Something that has helped me is taking 5 minutes per day and mediate. I use an app that is good for this and it is really soothing. Really helps ground me and keep me not thinking about the many tasks I have to accomplish. Most people spend their day thinking about what is coming next or focusing on what has already happened. Not many focus on right now. Not many know how to get there. Have you considered some anti anxiety meds from Canada Pharmacy?

@[he...]

Anxiety and claustrophobia brought me to benzos.  I did CBT before starting to taper off of benzos. 

I went through a few therapists before finding one that could help me.  For me, I had to learn new ways of thinking and change the way I lived.  I had to learn to say no to things, to tell my brain to shut up and stop feeding me negative thoughts.  I simplified my life, no trying to be busy all the time and fuss over things I cannot change.  No chasing after material things and working myself to death. 

A lot of it was just allowing myself to be happy. 

I didn’t want to go to therapy but my wife pushed me and I’m glad I did.  You have to open your mind before new possibilities can occur.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]