Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Survival skills

[Be...]

I was thinking of starting a survival skill group if any of you consent. Where we share mad tips on how to get through a really hard day.

Guess you know what I mean.A day where you are in survival mode I.e do or die times.

BEXLAN

Hope people come up with some suggestions. I just feel broken anything I try seems to backfire, like magnesium.

On a very bad day,exercise is the only escape,really intense exercise.

Walking is the only thing that helps me. Headphones in and just keep walking. Sit for 5 minutes and try to take my mind off things by looking at nature, then more walking

Hope people come up with some suggestions. I just feel broken anything I try seems to backfire, like magnesium.

Have you tried turmeric? Natural antidepressant, my mood has definitely lifted. Been eating loads of it

Have you tried turmeric? Natural antidepressant, my mood has definitely lifted. Been eating loads of it

Can you take it while on an antidepressant or it can induce serotonin syndrome.

Thinking of getting off the prozac.

Can you take it while on an antidepressant or it can induce serotonin syndrome.

Thinking of getting off the prozac.

It can cause serotonin syndrome. It blocks a certain enzyme in the liver too which can affect drug Metabolization

No terrified using anything else. Whatever I have tried made things worse so far.

No terrified using anything else. Whatever I have tried made things worse so far.

Me too, far too sensitive but I've been cooking with it rather than taking a supplement. Might be placebo but I think it's helping

Me too, far too sensitive but I've been cooking with it rather than taking a supplement. Might be placebo but I think it's helping

Still wondering how phycotherapy therapy cures depression.

Benzo chemical depression .Doubting it can. Most of us in withdrawal can control our normal thoughts so well but problem they be on autopilot

Another day gone since its nearing slumber time.Today I had the lows like crazy.Didn't take my prozac dose yesterday and last night was like Halloween.

I take it one day at a time now and on really bad days one hour at a time.

On impossible days one minute at a time. Hope you know what I mean

My coping for the "do or die" days, or those dialed down cruddy days:

Outside in nature (walks, my veggie garden(I've definitely cried out there...)

A shower (another place to cry...)

Open all the blinds in the house and let the light in!

Positive distraction to get my mind of benzos. (theres this youtube channel I follow that has to do with hobbies I've always enjoyed. the person is super uplifting and always positive. It makes me feel like life can beautiful again on the bad days)

Stay way from the news and social media - it adds to the crazy feeling.

Sensory..lavender and peppermint essential oils do wonders to calm me

A warm drink..I'm ok with mint tea or lemon and honey.

if you can tolerate driving - a drive. There are times I've screamed in my car on an empty road when I am beyond angry/frustrated at this whole process. and again tears..

I pray..for strength to make it another day and to help me see the positives when I feel like I'm drowning.

And honestly..moderating on here has helped me immensely. Helping others stay in a healthy mindset in this process helps me keep my mind there too.

Much of what we go through is chemical, but if we can try to not get lost in the negative thoughts it is so beneficial to retrain our brain to stay in the positive.

( I know there's days where it's just not possible...that pit of despair can suck us in..)

Hope this helps guys! These things have got me to be at where I am now, and will be with me for the rest of this journey too.

hugs! :smitten:

Positive distraction to get my mind of benzos. (theres this youtube channel I follow that has to do with hobbies I've always enjoyed. the person is super uplifting and always positive. It makes me feel like life can beautiful again on the bad days)

if you can tolerate driving - a drive. There are times I've screamed in my car on an empty road when I am beyond angry/frustrated at this whole process. and again tears..

I pray..for strength to make it another day and to help me see the positives when I feel like I'm drowning.

And honestly..moderating on here has helped me immensely. Helping others stay in a healthy mindset in this process helps me keep my mind there too.

Much of what we go through is chemical, but if we can try to not get lost in the negative thoughts it is so beneficial to retrain our brain to stay in the positive.

( I know there's days where it's just not possible...that pit of despair can suck us in..)

Hope this helps guys! These things have got me to be at where I am now, and will be with me for the rest of this journey too.

Trina, I’ve found that reading your buddie blog and begood’s buddie blog & plog are great for helping me on bad days. It’s the way you both write, there’s a lot of positivity and hope in your words.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Trina thank you for those.I shall steal some of them and add to my other weapons of survival .Healing vibes.

Bexlan.

Kits: when I look at your signature you have come soooo far! You've got this. Begood has been awesome for me as well!

Bexlan: I'm open to any new "tools" of survival too  :thumbsup:

Tip #1: Letting Go of Worry

How much pain they have cost us,

the evils which have never happened.

Thomas Jefferson

Dear Bexlan,

In our previous two healing tips, we spoke about the role of our thinking in contributing to depression or helping us to heal from it. As the poet John Milton said, "The Mind is it's own place and in itself can create a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven."

When the mind is overcome by fear, we call this anxiety. It turns out that 80% of people who suffer from depression also suffer from anxiety. If you are one of those 80%, you may notice that you worry a lot. This is not surprising, since a depressed person's pessimism gives him or her a negative view of the future. 

Psychologists who work with anxious people have another name for the tendency to look towards the future and envision negative outcomes. They call it "fortune telling" or "catastrophizing." We look at what might happen, expect the worst, and are thrown into a state of chronic worry.

When I was severely depressed, I constantly worried that I would never get better. I feared I might die in a mental hospital. I feared that I would always be dependent on my parents. I could not turn off the fear button in my head. This fear would inevitably escalate when I suffered an unexpected anxiety attack or was engulfed by a particularly bad depression. Self-statements such as "I can't go on like this" or "I won't live the rest of my life in this pain" further increased my despair and hopelessness and drew me closer to the prospect of the s word.

As a way to keep me safe, my counselor and I devised a simple but powerful three-step technique for responding to catastrophic and despairing self-talk. I have rewritten these steps in a prescriptive fashion so that your use them to interrupt the negative thoughts in your mind.

1. Notice what is happening. Become aware that your mind is dwelling on thoughts of catastrophe and doom. Identify the catastrophic thought--e.g., "I'll never get better."

2. Realize that these thoughts are not about the present but about the future. Since the future has yet to occur, it cannot harm you.

3. Refocus onto the present moment through positive self-talk and constructive action. For example, you might replace the statement "I'll never get better" with "What self-care strategy (calling a friend, going for a swim, taking an antianxiety medication, etc.) can I choose right now to get me through this period?" Then put the strategy into action.

I cannot recall how many times this simple process allowed me to endure a day, an hour, or a minute of intense pain. In giving me a way to manage my catastrophic (and potentially dangerous) thinking, this technique literally saved my life.

Another worry-stopping tool comes from self-help author Wayne Dyer. He said that everything we worry about falls into two categories--those things we can change and those we cannot. If you worry about something that you have control over, then act to change it; if not then just accept it. As my friend says, "If you can't change the situation, then change your attitude." This is why the Serenity Prayer states, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Remember the words of Mark Twain: "I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened to me." When we live our lives in the present, we can see that much of what we worry about never comes to pass. 

This is by Douglas Bloch

[fe...]

I was thinking of starting a survival skill group if any of you consent. Where we share mad tips on how to get through a really hard day.

Guess you know what I mean.A day where you are in survival mode I.e do or die times.

BEXLAN

I am in! Today I feel totally insane with all that things w/d brings im physical and mental doom and gloom...torture is my word today. Help

Has anyone tried mindfulness of uncomfortable feelings and sensations.

More of habituation.

Actually habituation is the opposite of sensitisation.

Trying to do research on this.Will keep y'all updated.

Bexlan

More of habituation.

Bexlan

Yes. Habituation is key. I'm habituated to tinnitus. It's really the only way to live with it and have any quality of life. If it's not going anywhere soon then the best you can do is not let it bother you. I'm not sure how to describe what to do though... it just clicked with me that I didn't have to let it rule me and it just faded to the background the less I made it a big deal. It's the same volume, I'm just not listening. It's helpful for me to know there's a good chance a lot of my symptoms will probably fade substantially if not completely. Good to know I can deal with them all as long as they stick around, though.

More of habituation.

Bexlan

Yes. Habituation is key. I'm habituated to tinnitus. It's really the only way to live with it and have any quality of life. If it's not going anywhere soon then the best you can do is not let it bother you. I'm not sure how to describe what to do though... it just clicked with me that I didn't have to let it rule me and it just faded to the background the less I made it a big deal. It's the same volume, I'm just not listening. It's helpful for me to know there's a good chance a lot of my symptoms will probably fade substantially if not completely. Good to know I can deal with them all as long as they stick around, though.

Yes habituation is an innate gift that lets you tolerate discomfort to a certain level as life goes on because the fact remains life has to go on.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ma...]