Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Acid Reflux

[kl...]

[cc...]
Before my setback it was my most prevaling symptom. In fact, I was one of the lucky ones, before my setback I would say I only had two symptoms total -- GERD and 3AM cortisol surges. My experience says not to use proton-pump inhibitors because they kill your histamine-degrading enzymes and so you end up with alergies and having to take antihistamines too. I would say that a week long therapy of taking famotidine half an hour before breakfast and half an hour before dinner, and taking gaviscon before sleep should work to significantly reduce GERD without giving you allergies. No longer than a week though, because then you'll have reflux rebound (yeah, even antacids cause physical dependance).

Before my setback it was my most prevaling symptom. In fact, I was one of the lucky ones, before my setback I would say I only had two symptoms total -- GERD and 3AM cortisol surges. My experience says not to use proton-pump inhibitors because they kill your histamine-degrading enzymes and so you end up with alergies and having to take antihistamines too. I would say that a week long therapy of taking famotidine half an hour before breakfast and half an hour before dinner, and taking gaviscon before sleep should work to significantly reduce GERD without giving you allergies. No longer than a week though, because then you'll have reflux rebound (yeah, even antacids cause physical dependance).

Why is it always 3 am for everyone. I used to get those surges bad after taking rescue doses that threw me back to acute. Thank God they eased.Now I wake up with burning pain at the same time always.

The Gerd from benzos is like an acid trip.It is horrible.

[cc...]

Why is it always 3 am for everyone. I used to get those surges bad after taking rescue doses that threw me back to acute. Thank God they eased.Now I wake up with burning pain at the same time always.

Because of internal clock. That's when histamine and some other stuff is released. How long did your setback from rescue doses last? I mean for me this is worse than acute. When I tapered, I was fine. This is as if I did cold-turkey. Yeah, GERD is awful. It used to keep me awake because it gave me apnea, couldn't swallow lying down. So I couldn't sleep even though I could fall asleep psychologically. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the replies.  It's driving me nuts.  The gastroenterologist prescribed huge doses of the proton pump inhibitor, omeprazole, and I filled the prescription but held off actually taking the stuff because it changes the gut microflora in a way that fosters the growth of C Diff, a potentially deadly infection.  I'm almost constantly hoarse now, presumably from the acid and wake up about 3AM with awful burning in my trachea in spite of my use of a wedge pillow to raise my upper body.  Whew, what a mess.

[cc...]
Yes those are all symptoms typical of benzo withdrawal. Too bad you have to deal with them in your age. Have you tried changing diet? No-fat milk, overripe bananas, whole grains and green vegetables should all help a bit.

My acid reflux was maddening earlier in withdrawal.  I made a lot of changes in my diet - minimizing the usual culprits like coffee, black tea, chocolate, etc.  At nearly a year post jump my reflux has settled down a lot. One of the things that has helped most is a wedge pillow I got on amazon. It raises the upper torso as you sleep.  It took a couple of days to get used to sleeping with it but I'm completely used to it now.  I thing it has made a big difference.

Because of internal clock. That's when histamine and some other stuff is released. How long did your setback from rescue doses last? I mean for me this is worse than acute. When I tapered, I was fine. This is as if I did cold-turkey. Yeah, GERD is awful. It used to keep me awake because it gave me apnea, couldn't swallow lying down. So I couldn't sleep even though I could fall asleep psychologically. Very frustrating.

It took roughly a month to even out and has kept on improving.

My acid reflux was maddening earlier in withdrawal.  I made a lot of changes in my diet - minimizing the usual culprits like coffee, black tea, chocolate, etc.  At nearly a year post jump my reflux has settled down a lot. One of the things that has helped most is a wedge pillow I got on amazon. It raises the upper torso as you sleep.  It took a couple of days to get used to sleeping with it but I'm completely used to it now.  I thing it has made a big difference.

I also bought the wedge, helps a lot!!!!

I've got a new esophageal spasm thing. Feels like a heart buzz just as I'm falling asleep and causes me to leap to sitting up straight. I also have afib and sometimes it's positional so it can feel like I'm entering an episode and  so I need to sit right up. Thanks, xanax! As for GERD, not so much. But xanax is def. bad for your alimentary canal. Also I have a real issue with constipation, like my small intestine is paralyzed. The material doesn't feel like it's transitting down to the large intestine.

I started drinking aloe juice. I buy it from Amazon. I was skeptical . . . I mean how much better could it be than Nexium? But you can't live on Nexium. Anyhow, after about a week of aloe juice, I threw away my Nexium and I've never had to go back to it. I had that awful acid travelling up into my throat phenomenon and a miserable hoarse voice . . . but no more. If you want to check out the brand I drink, type this into the Amazon search bar: ALO Exposed Aloe Vera Juice Drink, Aloe Vera + Honey. It's been a godsend. I drink 4 oz in the morning and 4 at night.

Hope this helps someone.

:smitten:

Katz

I’m ordering the juice, Katz! I’ve got reflux, but I also have oral thrush. All the antacids and acid blockers create a pH that thrush likes too much, so I’ve been desperately looking for natural relief. My throat is always sore, and there is so much inflammation from the infection and reflux combined. All withdrawal related...never had either in my life.

Thank you for this comment!

I just gave Gaviscon a try and it seems to be helping.  I ordered Gaviscon Advance, which has a higher alginate content.  Looking forward to testing that when it gets here from England. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]