Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Would love to here success on recovering from extreme rebound anxiety 😭

[De...]

This rebound anxiety is like nothing I have ever felt. I feel panicky in my chest, like I can’t breath, i feel like I’m out of my mind but at the same time my head is almost starting to feel numb. I can’t cry anymore but everything looks weird to me. I feel completely disconnected. Serious fog. Insomnia for the last 4 days. Never had it in my life. I have not dosed today as I’m afraid it will make me fall asleep and I have my kids to care for. My mom is here but she was up all night and is currently sleeping.

Would love to hear from ANYONE who has experienced this and has recovered from it. Please. I need hope more than I need air right now.

[0b...]

Whenever life really challenges me, I tell myself that there are better days ahead  It's always turned out to be true.

I can't say if my anxiety was better or worse than anybody else's.  But it sure felt bad to me.  Good news is that I'm all recovered from that.  I know it feels really sh*tty for you right now, but it will get better. 

While I really wish that I could wave a magic want and restore you, there are times when it seems that we just have to tough it out and make it to the next day with the hope that it will be better.  Eventually, it does get better.  Hang in there.  Do your best to take care of your superhuman self.  Eat, drink, rest (even if you don't sleep).

Try to remember that your rebound anxiety is due to the drug.  It's a common and reversible side-effect.  So is the fog and insomnia and that tight chest feeling.  Try not to dwell on your symptoms.  That usually just adds to the anxiety.  Try to stay busy (with kids to care for, that's probably a given).

I think it's important to recognize your accomplishments during this trying time.  What you're doing is superhuman. 

Finally - Definitely don't c/t.  I'd suggest you take at least some of your dose if you haven't already. 

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I know it’s not advised to c/t, but I almost feel taking these doses are making me feel worse? I have cried for hours the last 3/4 days. Today is the first day I have only cried for a few seconds and I have taken no meds today. Spikes in anxiety throughout the day but not worse than when I take it. My doctor unfortunately is zero help.

I only have maybe 3 pills left at .5.  Have been breaking them in half the last few days but did  dose 3 times yesterday. 6 am, 330pm and 11pm. I’m terrified knowing it’s going to get worse. I’ve had the physical symptoms before and those are already starting. I can take that but the not feeling in my head feeling that I’m going through right now is what keeps the adrenaline going. And the insomnia.

I’m blessed to have the best support system I could ask for at home but I hate being this burden right now.

I just read your success story and the first thing I noticed was January 9th. My birthday! It was very in inspiring to read your journey and i hope that I will one day be on the other side too.

[c1...]
I think alprazolam has definitively gone paradoxical on you. This isn't rebound anxiety. It seems to me that you'll have to try to switch to diazepam, or else go cold-turkey.

My anxiety was so strong that I couldn't move or speak for hours on end.  I would just shudder with muscle contractions/jerks/spasms and my teeth would chatter uncontrollably in absolute terror.

It was part of my daily fluctuating symptoms and it progressively improved after jumping.  I had severe Anxiety/Terror attacks during my years of oblivious interdose withdrawal, throughout most of my quick taper and into the severe post jump withdrawals.

They stopped, it gets better and the Anxiety that it is going to be like that forever is just another symptom.

I am back into daily fluctuations with AD tapering withdrawals, but even though I am going through hell with painfully high anxiety..., the Terror attacks have not returned.

It gets better.  Getting through the extreme acute withdrawals is unfortunately part of the reset process that I endure in order to get to a life in which I don't have to cyclically rely on prescribed drugs that make me temporarily feel better but eventually make me feel like hammered crap all the time.

I wouldn't advocate for CT or a fast taper, but I understand that phobia of continuing to put poison into you when it results in horrific symptoms.  If you have hit that point, try and strike a bargain with yourself.  I had to constantly struggle in order to not just CT everyday of my fast taper. 

Even little crumbs of a pill will help soften the impact experienced by sudden lack of benzo infusion. If you have to, go to the ER with your benzo withdrawals.

I think alprazolam has definitively gone paradoxical on you. This isn't rebound anxiety. It seems to me that you'll have to try to switch to diazepam, or else go cold-turkey.

I think you may be right. It literally feels like my body rejects the meds. Today is the first day I have not cried and I haven't taken any. Anxiety level feels lower today as well. Not a whole lot, but I haven't really felt terror today (Until I read something scary). I think I'm just going to ride it out. As stupid as it may be. I don't want to put any more poison in my body. I'm terrified. Praying hard that I can get through this.

Thank You Myke for your repsonse. As much as I hate that anyone else has to suffer, it's comforting when you can connect with someone who understands your anguish and feels better!

Something that I deal with frequently is increased symptoms during certain times of my cycle. My anxiety is worst right before menstruation. It improves significantly once menstruation starts.

Something that I deal with frequently is increased symptoms during certain times of my cycle. My anxiety is worst right before menstruation. It improves significantly once menstruation starts.

Same here! I have been tracking my symptoms like clock work since May and exactly one week before my period I am a mess! Anxiety through the roof! I hate being a girl!

[0b...]
I'm trying to learn more about this, so thanks for posting.  Progesterone levels are the highest about a week prior to menstration, and progesterone does interact with GABAA.  Makes me wonder if dosing should be modified to sync better with hormones.

Last night was...not horrible. I’m 31 hours in of no meds. Yesterday was the first day I didn’t cry. I have cried all day everyday since Monday. Intense feeling of hopelessness and 100% sheer terror. I had one big anxiety spike in the early afternoon and then it was like a 90% of the anxiety subsided towards the evening. However I almost felt mentally numb. Like just flat but that was a much welcomed feeling after the week or the most intense anxiety I have ever had.

My brother came to spend the night and it was nice. We spent the evening on the patio talking and playing games with the kids. I was actually laughing. My husband couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe it. While I was laughing, and it wasn’t forced laughter I didn’t really feel the “happy” from it: but again that’s ok. I was finally able to eat after not eating for a few days. I didn’t go crazy and had almost a whole cheeseburger.

But the best part...I SLEPT! Like a baby for 5 solid hours. On my own. No crazy dreams, no dozing off and jerking out of my sleep instantly. No waking up in panic. Sleeeeep!

I’m not getting excited though because I know it’s not over. But I’m at least feeling hopeful for a positive outcome.

I’m not sure how I’m feeling now. it’s 5:38 am here and I’m still feeling exhausted from the lack of sleep. I think i would still be sleeping if I didn’t have to pee so bad. lol

Hoping for another ok day!

I'm trying to learn more about this, so thanks for posting.  Progesterone levels are the highest about a week prior to menstration, and progesterone does interact with GABAA.  Makes me wonder if dosing should be modified to sync better with hormones.

Yeah it’s not fun! And is definitely not going to help my situation right now as this is my “hell week”. That’s what us ladies with presumed PMDD call the week before menstrustion. There is surprisingly not too much helpful info out there about it. I have recently found a doctor in my area that has a special interest in PMDD and was able to get a appt this month.

Are you still taking Zoloft? I had a bad reaction to it too and that’s why I’m on benzos. I’m due to start my cycle any day so I feel you on that front. It can be a total sh*tshow. I never had PMDD or PMS before benzos.

Are you still taking Zoloft? I had a bad reaction to it too and that’s why I’m on benzos. I’m due to start my cycle any day so I feel you on that front. It can be a total sh*tshow. I never had PMDD or PMS before benzos.

No more Zoloft for me. I never took it again after the one dose at the hospital. I think I have always had PMDD to some degree. I have GAD/panic disorder that has been pretty manageable without meds since I was a child. I was on Zoloft for two years 10 years ago for postpartum anxiety. But when this pandemic hit I spiraled. And here I am lol I have learned so much about anxiety over the last two months that I’m confident I won’t need meds to help after this. I’m done with this poison.

• 4 months later...

I have really severe PMDD and had it before I ever started taking benzos. Then when I experienced interdose withdrawals I thought my PMDD symptoms were worsening and went on the Lupron shot. I think it did hep w/ my PMDD but was a pretty drastic measure and I still wonder whether I really needed it, or whether I would have gone on it had I realized I was having interdose withdrawals. Recently I have felt what I thought was a resurgence of my PMDD. But I don't know it it's that or new interdose withdrawal symptoms. It's really frustrating for me to try to figure out which is which.

I also tried posting out this as a new topic. Wasn't sure which would be better-- to reply to this post to try posting a new topic about PMDD and benzo tapers but I really need some help.

Grace

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]