Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can anyone recommend where to find a good psychologist

[CH...]

Looking for more psychological and emotional support in re Benzo Withdrawal + parenting two small children. Can anyone advice where I can search? Thanks

Its going to be difficult to find someone, this website tries to keep up with medical professionals who may be useful but I don't see one in your area. https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/

I would caution you to avoid soliciting this type of information via PM, it's important to remain anonymous and this type of communication could lead to you revealing more than you intend to.

Looking for more psychological and emotional support in re Benzo Withdrawal + parenting two small children. Can anyone recommend a great psychologist in Toronto or GTA. Pls pm me.

I'm sorry Cho85, I misread your post, I thought you were looking for so called 'benzo wise' practitioners.  I hope you can find someone to help from the list oregonkatz provided.

• 1 month later...

thanks Katz

I was looking specifically for a psychiatrist who can help me!

I know many psychologists, but they can't prescribe and they aren't benzo savy or knowledgeable either.

Thanks though!

WinnieDog

Winnie, do you have Nurse Practitioners in Canada? I found one here in OR who was waaaaaay better than my wretched psychiatrist. The NP know beans about benzo w/d but I was able to show her the Ashton Manual. And they prescribe drugs. I didn't need my hand held, or help with my taper (I came here for both those things). I just needed someone to prescribe drugs.

Or . . . maybe this link will help you:

https://www.getmaple.ca/providers/psychiatry/

Also, I just Googled "psychiatrists in Toronto Canada" and got quite a few links.

Best to you.

Katz

Thanks so much Katz!

I have a Dr that is willing to prescribe anything!

I was just looking for a psychiatrist who can help me out as well!

I was hoping that they maybe able to understand the symptoms I'm having and help supervise my taper, instead of trying to go at it alone etc.

My Dr and several others don't believe that any of these symptoms are related to the Ativan etc.

It took me a long time to figure out that they mostly all related to the Ativan.

I had taken some antibiotics in April, prior to any Ativan that messed up my gut, but now the benzos are messing it up even further.

Thanks again for all your help!!

It is very much appreciated.

Looks like I may have to go at this alone.

I was just looking for a psychiatrist who can help me out as well!

I was hoping that they maybe able to understand the symptoms I'm having and help supervise my taper, instead of trying to go at it alone etc.

I hoped that, too, Winnie. I was bitterly disappointed in my psych who believed everything I was suffering was from "anxiety". She was willing to load me up with other drugs to "help" me through my taper, but I didn't want any. So I struck out on my own. I found this forum, a group of sensible buddies, and the NP who just wrote the scripts and didn't bug me about anxiety.

You may have to go it alone. It's not the worst thing. As long as you have someone to write your prescriptions, you're home free imo. It's good to have someone to talk to, someone who's "on your side" though. I have a therapist -- she's an LCSW and can't prescribe drugs -- and she's been a huge help to me. she's known me for years and knew darned well that I wasn't suffering from "anxiety" when I was tapering my benzo, but real physical w/d s/x.

So, just some thoughts.

Best to you,

Katz

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]