Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo Belly Relief?

[ma...]

Hi People.

Apologies if this question has been raised before, but one of my worst symptoms 20 months since finishing my taper is benzo bellly.

I'm a tall man at 6 feet 6 inches and always used to be a string bean.

At the moment I look like like a string bean who's 8.5 months pregnant with twins!

I have read that the only thing that really helps benzo belly is time, but has anyone found anything that really helps to relieve the symptoms?

My poor stomach has never been so ill and is completely solid as if I have a bowling ball in my tummy.

I also have a lot of trouble breathing due to the size of my stomach to the point where I'm gasping for air and start to panic a bit.

Any updated thoughts on how to combat this dreadful benzo belly symptom would be very very welcome.

Thank you! X

Hi

WOW you sound like me 11mo off, 6 pack whole life, now keg gut,,,,,mine feels horribly bloated and tense and all muscles around it tense, like tight diaphram also, I also feel like I cant breathe correctly its awful, you are not alone it drives me insane, do you have dizziness and head tension also?

Hi,

I have a long list of symptoms which weren't present prior to benzo use, but the list is too long for this forum.

I'm just having a really tough time with stomach issues at the moment and was after some advice on how to soothe benzo belly during the worst of it.

I hope you're doing okay. Hang in there. Things have improved for me with time, and I'm sure they will for you too.

Cannabis helps me. I still feel a bit like a cement mixer but I do have more regular bowel movements. If I have cannabis, the consequences of eating processed foods and richer/spicier/more sugary foods aren't as severe. I still try to keep my diet on the healthier side though.

The other thing that helps a little and I believe has some basis in science is water fasting. If my benzo belly type symptoms are flaring up, even just doing a couple of days where I do all my eating in 8 hours (so 16+ hour fast) will help them a fair bit. I'm a big believer in the mental health benefits too. I feel them. I have done 24 hours a couple of times but didn't want to do longer without researching it further. There are a few health conditions which if you had them, you shouldn't do water fasting, hypothyroidism is one off the top of my head. But if there's nothing to stop you, I recommend giving it a try. Once I fasted a few times, I realised that I could easily go about my business without having breakfast and having a late lunch without any danger of passing out. It wasn't always comfortable and I wouldn't want to do it all the time but it was nothing to worry about.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I can't tolerate cannabis as it mega revs up my symptoms, but there's good science to fasting.

I think I'll have another look at that and give that a go.

It's problematic though as my blood sugar is all over the place post-benzos and I usually have to eat every couple of hours otherwise I'm passing out and fainting all over the show...so I shall be very careful if I do.

Thanks again for the tip, though :-)

A table spoon of organic apple cider vinegar helps my benzo belly when I get it. Some people say Apple cider vinegar revs up there symptoms tho.

Also, A deep tissue belly massage loosens up my belly when it bloats.

Hope this helps

Peace

I haven't had it for a while luckily, was also swollen and hard to the touch. I was eating fresh ginger every hour or two last time, and it helped.

Hope you find something

Fresh ginger, now that's a good idea.

Best be shuffling down to the store like a beached whale on legs, then!

Thanks very much everyone X

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]