Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How many of you have a "Benzodiazepine" allergy bracelet & list it in your chart

[Mi...]

Hello all,

I am hoping you are all on your way to healing.

Do you have a benzodiazipine allergy bracelet?

Is it also listed as an allergy in your chart with every doctor you see ?

Any input on this?

[c6...]

Yes! But bc my doc put it there I  have a genetic gen that dont metabolize any benzo slow metabolizer of CYP2C19 in the liver and also ultra rapid by CYP2D6 that metabolize morphine and many other opiates.

I dont need to tell why I cant take benzo. But one time and idiot doctor said you can take oxazepam thats not an benzo..I got really upset he said I didnt had a clue so I told him to check it up. He did that and said well it is an weak benzo. I said i need another doctor. And asked him to call the doctoe who put the warning there...

He didnt...

I just keep it in my wallet, along with emergency contacts, blood types etc.

And hey Sundance...thats funny I have the opposite CYP2C19 RAPID metabolizer, actually for almost all drugs made, lol.

Like they go in and out so fast...it's like I was made for super quick tolerance, so I always just get side effects and withdrawals like super quick.

Benzos are listed as an allergy on my medical chart as well. I've had a lot of surgeries due to a bad shoulder, failed surgery and development of thoracic outlet syndrome.  Some anesthesiologists want details about my allergy, others simply accept it. 

When I'm asked for allergies, I always say benzos. It's on record with my GP and in network with associated docs. Even when the dentist asks for allergies, I tell him benzos, and he is just doing cleanings and an occasional filling.

I am so happy to see these posts, I will have my health care providers list Benzos as an allergy, just had surgery and was given a Benzo, second time in seven months, first time the ER in January, doctor there gave me a Benzo to help bring down my blood pressure and I am now back in withdrawal.......so grateful for these posts.

I will be doing this..thought about it awhile ago. Don't forget to put versed on the chart as an allergy too. I believe its technically not a benzo but functions similarly. Its commonly used for sedation in surgery, and some life saving methods.

[07...]
Versed is midazolam, it is a benzo. It is very similar to Z-drugs. Here in my country we also have it in pill form, I used to take it for sleep.

[c6...]

I just keep it in my wallet, along with emergency contacts, blood types etc.

And hey Sundance...thats funny I have the opposite CYP2C19 RAPID metabolizer, actually for almost all drugs made, lol.

Like they go in and out so fast...it's like I was made for super quick tolerance, so I always just get side effects and withdrawals like super quick.

Oh gosh I know that almost all drugs is metabolized thru CYP2C19.  I cant take anykind of SSRI sort off. And many other meds. For me it took almost 8 weeks to be free from diazepam in my body when I was forced CT. My doctor took bloodtests every day too see how long it took. I was over medicated with diazepam my levels was sky high.... :-\

Are you rapid or ultra rapid? I am ultra rapid in CYP2D6...can tolerate high doses of morphine. I had codeine for fibromyalgia it was like placebo for me. But I got used to it of course and got w/d when stopped. But that...it was hard yes but over after 10 days....  :-[

I have benzos listed as an allergy in my medical chart. HOWEVER not every provider reads your chart, sad as it seems. It's on us, unfortunately, to make sure they do. I was in the ER recently when I broke my foot, and the first thing they wanted to do was to give me Ativan (!!) in my IV. I had to a) ask them what that was that they were about to put in my IV and then, once they reluctantly told me it was Ativan to tell them b) to knock that off. Very discouraging. Yeah, I was anxious, and yeah, my bp was up . . . but this is a big medical system and patients' charts are available to all providers. I don't know . . .maybe a bracelet would have helped.

Good ideas, but not foolproof, sad to say. We must remain always vigilant.

:tickedoff:

Katz

I have benzos listed as an allergy in my medical chart. HOWEVER not every provider reads your chart, sad as it seems. It's on us, unfortunately, to make sure they do. I was in the ER recently when I broke my foot, and the first thing they wanted to do was to give me Ativan (!!) in my IV. I had to a) ask them what that was that they were about to put in my IV and then, once they reluctantly told me it was Ativan to tell them b) to knock that off. Very discouraging. Yeah, I was anxious, and yeah, my bp was up . . . but this is a big medical system and patients' charts are available to all providers. I don't know . . .maybe a bracelet would have helped.

Good ideas, but not foolproof, sad to say. We must remain always vigilant.

:tickedoff:

Katz

Wow OregonKatz.  That is so frustrating that they put it in your IV anyways.  Incredible.  Good for you, sticking up for yourself. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]