Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Adrenaline/panic surges at night

[Me...]

I was doing a bit better the past week, but I’m thrown back into extreme anxiety today. I didn’t sleep at all last night. Tried to nap because I’m exhausted and woke up after a few seconds of falling asleep with panic/adrenaline. This happened several times until I had to get up.  My brain won’t let me sleep. Did you go through this?? Did it get better? Is this a common symptom?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your support so much.

Yes I get this and it’s such a cruel symptom. I can actually not even be a slight bit anxious when I am going to sleep in the evening and wake up in a absolute panic that makes me jump out of bed! I have to do my 4 7 8 breathing exercises and sometimes distract by playing words with friends till the anxious moment subsides after which I can usually fall gently back to sleep now that I am almost 6 months off. When I first jumped it was relentless and all night long. Things will get better and remember that it is only panic and that can never hurt us. It just causes a great deal of discomfort. I now have gotten to the point that I challenge it by saying “ok, bring it on!!! “ and it always goes away when I do that! Hope my experience helps calm you. You are not alone with this awful symptom.

Littlewing, thank you. I’m so amazed that you can talk back to it, lol. It’s a huge undertaking for me to just let it wash over without panicking. Sometimes I’m just so fearful of it and this is the main reason why I fear & dread the nights. I’m getting so weary of it all... I keep thinking surely my mind will get bored worrying about this feeling at some point and just let it (and me) be. But even through my exhaustion, I somehow have enough energy to care and care enough that it can keep me up for hours or all night. I hate this so much. I want to get to where you are mentally so badly. I’m so happy that you’re there, though. It sounds like the worst of it is over for you now. What a blessing!!

Do you remember when it started to subside? Has the intensity of the anxiety rush lessened for you?

I now have gotten to the point that I challenge it by saying “ok, bring it on!!! “ and it always goes away when I do that!

I love this! Glad that works for you.

it just started to subside a little bit this past month which is month 6. I keep a very detailed journal and I have found it correlates with monthly hormone shifts. I always thought these night panics were just me but now I can tell they are a definite withdrawal symptom because the intensity is not as fierce as when I first jumped. I also had them thru my entire taper. This symptom has been my most challenging so when I read your thread I totally connected with what you are feeling! IT’S NOT YOU !!! It’s withdrawal!!! I promise you it will ease with time.

Littlewing, thank you for saying it’s not me! I keep thinking I cause this because I’m anxious about sleep most nights, but I just tried napping (TOTALLY CALM) and got woken up each time with the horrible surges. I’ve tried napping before with the same result. I’m unable to sleep during the day or evening. Did this happen to you? Did your ability to nap return?

I have not napped once since my taper and 6 months benzo free. I practice a pretty strict bedtime hygiene because insomnia was my reason for taking benzos. And napping might interfere with my nighttime sleep. I can’t wait to be healed and nap again like I use to. Lately, I have been getting the surges more nights than not so you are not alone. They are frustrating because we go to bed perfectly calm only to be awakened in terror! I always remind myself....feeling is healing :smitten:

"Feeling is healing" -- I like that!!  I've been using this when I feel things shifting around or changing in intensity.  I love the calmness in your posts, too.  Even though the surges are no doubt upsetting, you sound like you've got a firm handle on it and you're undaunted.  I love that.  :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]