Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Old memories from childhood popping up out of nowhere. Is this BWD?

[Re...]

Hi folks. Lately I've noticed that I'm suddenly remembering stuff from my childhood. Not anything bad or traumatic, but it's just interesting because this is stuff that happened SO LONG AGO. Stuff that I hadn't thought of in years or even knew that I had these memories.

Some of them are triggered by something. For example, the other day, I saw a girl rollerskating and I remembered this pair of Strawberry Shortcake rollercakes I had when I was 7 years old. Then, I saw a tire on the back of a Jeep while driving, and I remembered when my mom got a flat tire on her car when I was 9 years old. But some memories just seem to come out of nowhere … like I had this memory of my dad painting the walls of my bedroom when I was 8 years old.

Again, they're not bad memories, but I find this a bit interesting/weird because I don't normally think about stuff that happened such a long time ago. Is this a symptom of BWD? The optimistic side of me hopes that maybe this is a sign of healing or brain recovery?? My memory became really bad during acute, so I'm hoping that perhaps this is a good sign of an improved memory and brain function???

It's also possible that I'm about to have a midlife crisis and maybe I'm just generally being more reflective of my life? LoL. Thoughts?

Yes, I had this very concentratedly for a while and many others have mentioned. There's a name for it, which I could remember I would look up for you - I think there was very helpful post about it a while ago. Life Review, maybe?

Yes, I had this very concentratedly for a while and many others have mentioned. There's a name for it, which I could remember I would look up for you - I think there was very helpful post about it a while ago. Life Review, maybe?

Ahh that's interesting. I'm 19 months out, and this is a new symptom for me!

Ahh that's interesting. I'm 19 months out, and this is a new symptom for me!

I got it when I was 3 years in and had gotten to a very low dosage.

Welcome to" life review"!

it is often totally random memories and often things we've totally forgotten about. I'm glad for you it seems to be pleasant..for some it can be mixed or very unpleasant. It does eventually fade out. Mine was intense for months, but can honestly say it sort of just visits lately. Not a big deal anymore (thank goodness!).

You're " normal".  ;)

I had this and I believe it did lead to improved memory and cognition going forward. I'm not 100% healed in those departments, but there was a lot of room for improvement. More than I realised, even.

Yes, very vividly and memories of who O was and exactly what ot felt like to be me before I got ill in 1996.

I find it very difficult because the grief attached to the loss of my whole adult life is overwhelming and remembering all the hope I had as a child, teenager etc is Unbearable.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]