Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Something I will try. Have you?

[ba...]

Has anyone heard about cold-shower therapy for depression? I heard about it in a podcast and read a bit about it online. Sounds like if you take one minute freezing cold showers per day, it can be very helpful for depression and anxiety. Almost a shock therapy in a sense. Some people report feeling euphoric afterwards.

Any thoughts?

I do hours of warm showers every day, but I know a lot of other members swear by the cold showers.  I am scared to induce something that intense personally.  I don't want to try it, find it helps and then be forced to go through another daily torture, lol!

Has anyone heard about cold-shower therapy for depression? I heard about it in a podcast and read a bit about it online. Sounds like if you take one minute freezing cold showers per day, it can be very helpful for depression and anxiety. Almost a shock therapy in a sense. Some people report feeling euphoric afterwards.

Any thoughts?

Hmmmmmm, never heard of this. I would try it and see. Please report back your experience.

You know, I think I've been accidentally doing this. On the days when I can swim at our local pool I have way less depression. Maybe it's the cold water.

[72...]

I've been taking cold showers for the last 4 years and more since my ordeal started. I'd normally taken them in the morning but after been hit by the benzos and an antibiotic (cipro) it was the only thing that would help me to sleep. Yes, I do take a cold shower before bed time (about an hour before) and it's been a life saver for me. I did a lot of reading about it. Cold showers help in two fronts.Mentally it does help to bring feel good hormones like  beta-endorphin and noradrenaline. Physically helps with your immune system and detox your body. It sounds like torture but you get rewarded afterwards.

Give it a try. Start slow turning the right valve at the end of your shower. One minute is enough but whole three minutes from the start will be glory!

Mice

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/inner-source/201407/cold-splash-hydrotherapy-depression-and-anxiety

I have heard about it especially being long utilized in other cultures and can understand the basic concept.  Even so, I get the same sickening scrotum tightening sensation when contemplating it as I get when having intrusive thoughts about suffering serious injuries.  Sheesh.., now I am afraid I am going to try it, lol!

I’ve attempted this, but it didn’t last more than a week for me ;D. I just happened to forget to induce a freezing dose of agony first thing in the morning and I didn’t feel much of an effect (though it probably takes consistency in order to get true benefit). I do think it might work, I just don’t know if I would Have enough will power to keep up with it long enough!

I JUST finished attempt #1!

Wow, much worse than I expected. I say that humorously, don't let that deter you from trying. 

It's impossible to not start hyperventilating. I had to step out a couple times to breathe normal. I made it through 3 minutes. Silly me thought I could wash myself like a normal shower (don't expect that if you try).

BUT I DEFINITELY see how this could be helpful. If I can teach myself to breathe through a freezing shower I could breathe through anything. It also wakes the body up as expected. It feels like I drank a cup of coffee.

I will continue to practice this, I may try another attempt tonight

Wow, much worse than I expected. I say that humorously, don't let that deter you from trying. 

It's impossible to not start hyperventilating. I had to step out a couple times to breathe normal. I made it through 3 minutes. Silly me thought I could wash myself like a normal shower (don't expect that if you try).

BUT I DEFINITELY see how this could be helpful. If I can teach myself to breathe through a freezing shower I could breathe through anything. It also wakes the body up as expected. It feels like I drank a cup of coffee.

I think you're supposed to "shower" First to get clean, then turn the tap to cold 😂.

But I have heard good things about this from a few people (not in withdrawal) 1 guy in work swears by it, says he feels great afterwards.

Been a bit scared personally 😂

I think you're supposed to "shower" First to get clean, then turn the tap to cold 😂.

But I have heard good things about this from a few people (not in withdrawal) 1 guy in work swears by it, says he feels great afterwards.

Been a bit scared personally 😂

I feel pretty good since taking the freezing shower about 2 hours ago. I went on a walk afterwards. I feel very energized.

I didn't want to shower with warm water first and then go to cold, not knowing if this would null the affects of the freezing shower. I just went in with it freezing to start.

It was impossible for me to breathe normally through it, which leads me to believe if I can master breathing through a cold shower I can breathe through any stress

Give it a shot! Even if its for 10 seconds and you say nope! That's what I said after 5 seconds but then forced myself to do it.

I don't think I could jump right into max. cold. LOL...I would have to start lukewarm and then slowly adjust (acclimate) to as cold as I could stand, but doing it like this might not be quite as effective.

[72...]

In my experience the breathing is key to stand the first 1/2 minute. It doesn't matter if you start warm and go your way up at one point you have to switch to full cold to get all the benefits. The advantage of doing gradually is that you teach your body and mind to get use to it. Cold showers are a kind of mindfulness meditation. You have to control the breathing and you have to start before you jump in the shower. Try deep breathing, exhaling slowly, before get in the shower, it helps tremendously.Then keep the same rate of breathing while in the shower. After about a minute or so  you'll get use to it and that's when you really enjoy be in the cold.

Again, if you never did this start with warm and work your way up. Do the breathing and then switch to cold but If you are really courageous and want o get maximum benefits go straight cold for 3' at least!

Cold showers are not a panacea and not every body can stand them. It's like exercise,you put your body under stress first to get the rewards later. The difference is that with cold therapy you get results immediately.

Mice

I recently have started doing this, as I heard about Wim Hof, the "Iceman" who swears by cold exposure and says it boosts the immune system. He says not to force it, and just a cool shower for only two minutes can give you the benefits.  I don't do ice cold, just like a nice cool temp, and it does make me feel kind good afterwards. 

I have been doing this for a few years on the advice from my NaturopathMD. 

I usually go into an icy creek but lately I have been using the horse trough in my yard. 

My doc says to stay under at least 30 seconds to get the full benefit.  Making sure to get the forehead and back of neck.  Its for immune function and health.   

It makes me so high - euphoric.  And Present. 

It helps tremendously when my brain hurts and I'm feeling de-realization.  No matter what, afterwards, my symptoms disappear for moments to hours.

I am grossly sleep deprived right now, and apathetic, and the shock of icy water seems too big.  But maybe that is just what I need.

For those in an apartment, an icy bath or shower works just the same.

Thanks all for the advice. Maybe I will try to "taper" into the freezing...as this morning I jumped right in and started hyperventilating immediately! Makes sense to do deep breathing before jumping in...I obviously didn't really think things through before jumping in LOL

Attempt #2 wasn't as successful. But i didn't really push myself today...I'm awfully down (mood wise). So hard to breathe in freezing water but if you can master it you can master A LOT

You can get a far less uncomfortable but still effective reset by running your wrists under cold water in the sink. I actually used to do that when I would have panic attacks at work and it worked very well.

You can get a far less uncomfortable but still effective reset by running your wrists under cold water in the sink. I actually used to do that when I would have panic attacks at work and it worked very well.

I will try this as well! Thank you. The freezing shower is very difficult, as tough as I thought I was

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]