Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise question?

[Be...]

So I stabilized at .48mg of xanax for last two weeks and dropped to .45mg this week.  All was going well and then I went on a long bike ride for exercise....today...brain fog and bad tinnitus.  I have noticed now that anytime I work out (bike or weights) during this taper the next 3 days are a mess.  Anyone else experience this?  I thought exercise would help?

Yep, had this.

I think you're probably overdoing it, and putting your body under extra stress whilst it's trying to heal from withdrawal. I try to do an hour on the bike a day, but went out for the day last Saturday, not riding all the time, had lunch etc. But was probably riding for 3hours? Put me in a wave that started that night. Try not to overdo it I think

You said long bike ride. How long and at what intensity? I had to decrease the intensity of my stationary bike rides and also the durations. I found a sweet spot that does not cause me any exacerbation of sx's and actually helps to allevite bothersome sx's.

I think it probably does help, even if it feels like it doesn't. There's no getting round it, it's tougher to recover after exercise when we are in benzo recovery but it's still helpful to the extent we can tolerate it. It's to be expected that a session might rev up symptoms. Obviously you don't want too much of that and if every time you exercise, that's what happens and you can't cope, then it must be that you're trying to exercise too much. But if you can tolerate a spike in symptoms then it's definitely helpful in the long run.

Thanks everyone.  I had a rough go the last month and was working out half hour of weights 4 times a week and then 1-2 10 miles bike rides (somewhat hilly).  This past week was much better for me, which did not make sense since I dropped in dose and I kept wondering why I was so OKAY.  The only thing I didn't do was work out at all.  Then Friday night the only variables that changed were I went on a half hour bike ride to make a sweat and then ate some broccoli/cauliflower with dinner.  Woke up with crippling tinnitus, lack of energy and brain fog.  A little better today.  I'm hoping it's not working out, because I will become a bum quick and still got a long way to go on my taper.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ma...]