Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How long to Hold

[He...]

We are slowing down on the amount and steps in Valium withdrawal taper.  Began at 7.5 mg in March and are at 3.25 mg for 2 1/2 weeks now.  Had held at 3.5 mg for 3 weeks previously.  Waves tend to increase in frequency, length, and intensity as the doses go down.  Our question is:  Is holding 4 weeks or more at a given level safe to do?  Is there a limit as to how long you can safely hold at a given level?

Thank you for your help.

In my opinion, it shouldn’t hurt to hold for awhile. I held for two months once when I was tapering and I feel like it only helped. You might also consider smaller but more frequent cuts.

Best of luck to you.  :smitten:

Hold duration is dependent on so many variables that are unique to the individual and all of the factors effecting them at that point in time.  No one is metabolizing at a constant specific rate or healing at a constant rate.  It can vary so widely for a person and much much much further between individuals.  Letting symptoms guide you to each progressive step is the best thing you can do.  It may be drastically faster or slower than the average suggested times/amounts at times but that should be expected and changes in our own processing times should also be carefully watched for so adjustments can be made. 

Push when you see that you are able to push and hold when you suspect that you still have some time to go before your reduction has been metabolised and is not seesawing back and forth looking for the rough equilibrium state we are forced to accept as acceptable in benzo withdrawals.

Don't use it as an excuse to prolong your taper unnecessarily but don't stress on your unique system and situation not conforming to averages. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ma...]