Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Fatigue

[Ic...]

Anyone else have really really bad fatigue? I am so exhausted all day long with tiredness behind my eyes. I am never energized throughout the day. Any tips on how to fight the fatigue? I get very little done because I am just so darn tired!

Anyone else have really really bad fatigue? I am so exhausted all day long with tiredness behind my eyes. I am never energized throughout the day. Any tips on how to fight the fatigue? I get very little done because I am just so darn tired!

No tips on how to deal with it but you're not alone! My fatigue is so bad I spend 20 hours a day in bed.

No tips on how to deal with it but you're not alone! My fatigue is so bad I spend 20 hours a day in bed.

Unfortunately, I cannot nap because I will start to have panic attacks and my stomach will hurt. I don't know why that happens. I start work again next week and I am terrified. I am too tired to even shower everyday. It's not the type of tired where you're tired but you get things done. It is a tired like I NEED to take a nap and then my eyesight gets bad and my brain fog and burning head get severe.

So a guy writes on a dating site.. -Looking for a Lady with chronic fatigue.. So we can SLEEP together... :(

Perhaps due to my particular meds, or perhaps not, I have had pretty bad fatigue issues for years now... The best I can do is try to follow general health practices, esp as pertains to my GI, and just roll with it as best as possible... Getting outside and active obviously helps, but one has to reach that point of capability first..

For me at least, there is a big circadian or “nocturnal” component, but as I heal between tapers (and even the longer cuts/holds) things do seem to improve and balance out a bit...

Im pretty lucky that I can day nap fairly well, but at times Toxic Naps make this rather unpleasant too..

I guess fatigue is a sign that all is not well from a homeostatic point of view, but I would hate to try and speculate on an individuals reasons for fatigue.. -and thats without meds or their history in the picture..!!

Anyways, my main point was to suggest that fatigue improves as we do.. fwiw

-And to say, I hear you...

I make the zombies on The Walking Dead tv series look pretty healthy..

:(

Yes IcyPeppermint112! I too cannot seem to "do" very much at all.

10 000 steps a day?? I am happy with 1000 but even that doesn't happen much at the moment.

Some days my little pedometer sadly displays about 100 steps...

That is, like, 2 trips to the bathroom and one to eat.

Not good at all.

I have even looked into isometric exercise... you know stuff you can do while on bedrest.

Even that can seem like it takes a lot of energy that I don't have.

Some other days, I do make it out to a shop or something, but am so drained my speech is slurred.

The best advice I can find on fatigue is to do more each day. Easier said than done though?

I have found that if you can manage a shower at all, setting it to cold can be invigorating.

Then turn the temperature up to wash. Turn it back down again before getting out.

I'm not sure of the science involved. It engages your parasympathetic system or something.

Brain is kind of hazy on the details right now.

Also it doesn't last a whole day, though in theory, you can induce  some of the benefits with splashing your face  with really cold water.

Have been off work specifically to deal with this or is it chronic?

One other thing that sometimes works for me is to start the day with oats. Oats in any form: cakes, porridge etc. It doesn't require a lot of appetite to eat oats, but the slow-release of its energy is undeniable.

Are you tired as a result of poor sleep or despite sleep?

Sounds like you need more recovery time, if at all possible.

Hey Challenge, I am a teacher so I've had the summer off. I am 2 months and 19 days free of benzos after stopping cold turkey. I believe that I got around 6 hours of sleep last night so I'm not sure why I am so tired.

2 months, 19 days? Well done! I can't wait to say that.  :)

Yeah 6 hours does sound like nearly enough. Depends on quality and external factors too maybe. Stress?

If it goes on too long can you get some tests done? My doc tested my blood for thyroid issues when I mentioned ongoing fatigue. Though, for me, it's due to lack of sleep outright. But even checking out things, so as to eliminate, can be useful.

Are you worried particularly about going back to work because of this or could this be due some concerns about work itself?

I hope it resolves itself because I guess you can't really take more time off as term-time is term-time.

I think I get you about the nap thing. Like you're fine but just too tired so chance a nap. Then wake up in a totally different state of mind. I don't understand it at all...

Just come on to search fatigue, my latest thing. Just slept 10 hours and still can't get out of bed. Would sleep more, but the bloody neighbor is doing DIY 😌.

I'm hoping it's a good sign that I'm healing, because seen some good improvement generally over the past week or 2.

Unfortunately whenever I get my hopes up that I'm getting there, or at least functional enough to return to work, I get hit hard again. It's so demoralising

Challenge, I thought about getting blood tests done. I have had blood tests done recently when I got sick from Lamictal and everything was normal including my thyroid. I can't believe that my thyroid is normal when every doctor looks at me and says, "You have a hormonal imbalance." They can tell right away just by looking at my hair loss, acne pattern, and the fact that I look like an 8th grader when in fact I am 32 lol. Honestly, if I could take a nap during the day whenever I wanted, I wouldn't really care if all I could do was watch TV and lie in bed. But, as we all know, the symptoms include derealization, burning head, neuropathy, fear, inability to sleep, and pain. I am so glad you mentioned being so tired that your speech is slurred! If I am exhausted, don't bother talking to me, because I can't speak correctly or hold a conversation. Anyone here get shortness of breathe when talking? I was telling a story to a coworker yesterday and it felt like I ran up a flight of stairs. I do feel like I need more recovery time and should have resigned from my job when I had the chance, but  I am currently staying with my parents and they both said that they wouldn't let me stay there without a job.

Having a mare, I am almost certain I got around 8 hours of sleep last night; there is no reason to be as tired as I am! I am glad someone can relate. I would also sleep more, but I live with my parents and my dad makes so much noise after a certain hour. What improvements have you seen? I am so happy for you! Like you, I sometimes have an "eh" day and think with determination I can definitely do my job but then I have a day like yesterday where I am dead tired by 1 pm.

I am also afraid that with working, I will me forced to consume more caffeine to make it throughout the day. I was a heavy caffeine consumer before all of this and had to limit it to one cup of coffee in the morning. This all has been going on for 2 months and 20 days. I am hoping to beat both vices: medication and caffeine. Also, I am terrified of caffeine because it can cause a wave and make me very, very sick. Yes, cutting off caffeine can cause tiredness, but I really feel like this tiredness is due to the benzos. It's like I am not myself or even human.

IcyPeppermint, yes indeed to shortness of breathe. Some days I don't have this though. I thought it was poor, overall fitness and it must be that, in part. Yet sometimes I can run further than others without this shortness of breathe.

I think the  fact that you are still attending a job is admirable. Also, I'm just guessing, but I do think that is useful. It may be that conversations can be difficult but you  can still listen while attending to your breathing. Aside from earning a crust and feeling useful, you are avoiding socially isolating yourself. That is important.

I just managed a little walk up to the fields today. It was hot but there was a nice breeze blowing. Not a brisk walk. Today, for me, was just about leaving the house on my own. I can say I did enjoy my wander but, yup, my breathing was iffy. I passed a dog walker twice but just smiled... no attempt to chat. Then took a short cut through a farm where I passed  a woman tending to her horses. I only managed a little nod then a nod the horses as well. Some days I would actually strike up polite conversation with those I pass. Not today though. Still counting it as "win" though :)

We can only manage what we can. Recovery is unpredictable, right? Yes, I do admire that you are still attending work throughout all this. It can only be a good thing, assuming you  enjoy what you do.

Hang in there, I'm sure things will improve.

Not really understanding how the doctors are not helping you if they can discern you do have a hormonal imbalance? That seems a little cruel, to me. Maybe you could explain, at some point, that is actually a real concern for you. Sometimes they can spot issues but don't act if they don't think it's too serious. Maybe?

Anyway, as I lie here now; I can't believe I was out for a stroll earlier. I have a cup of tea next to me but almost can't be bothered to reach for it. This fatigue stuff really is unpredictable! Weird...

Challenge, I thought about getting blood tests done. I have had blood tests done recently when I got sick from Lamictal and everything was normal including my thyroid. I can't believe that my thyroid is normal when every doctor looks at me and says, "You have a hormonal imbalance." They can tell right away just by looking at my hair loss, acne pattern, and the fact that I look like an 8th grader when in fact I am 32 lol. Honestly, if I could take a nap during the day whenever I wanted, I wouldn't really care if all I could do was watch TV and lie in bed. But, as we all know, the symptoms include derealization, burning head, neuropathy, fear, inability to sleep, and pain. I am so glad you mentioned being so tired that your speech is slurred! If I am exhausted, don't bother talking to me, because I can't speak correctly or hold a conversation. Anyone here get shortness of breathe when talking? I was telling a story to a coworker yesterday and it felt like I ran up a flight of stairs. I do feel like I need more recovery time and should have resigned from my job when I had the chance, but  I am currently staying with my parents and they both said that they wouldn't let me stay there without a job.

Having a mare, I am almost certain I got around 8 hours of sleep last night; there is no reason to be as tired as I am! I am glad someone can relate. I would also sleep more, but I live with my parents and my dad makes so much noise after a certain hour. What improvements have you seen? I am so happy for you! Like you, I sometimes have an "eh" day and think with determination I can definitely do my job but then I have a day like yesterday where I am dead tired by 1 pm.

Improvement has been with my racing thoughts / panic attacks in the afternoon. Was unbearable, then started missing a day, and less severe, missed 2 days, less severe. Then had a night of terror and a major head rush which woke me up. Not had 1 since, and doesn't feel like I'm going to if that makes sense.....

So so happy about that, cos I really didn't think I take much more.

Just tired with cog fog now, which is bearable

(Hope I haven't jinxed it)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]