Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Any suggestions how to turn off the fight or flight response I am stuck in?

[ch...]

Here I am again

8 months and 4 days off,

I will know I am healing when I don't  know the number of days,  ,

I am stuck in fight or flight all the time and  really do need a way to bring it down ,

It's too much on top of everything else,

I know it is no doubt part of the withdrawal and a major symptom but there has to be something apart from the tapping and positive affirmations  I do all the time

I do my walking, and not sure what else I can do ,

I started with an anxiety state  for whatever reason I will never be able to untangle ,  past alcohol , past AD's  Trauma and a hard life , stress , age , all of it  or none  who can say 

Just want a way forward now,  to gain my life back ,

I know a lot is chemical but surely  there are  things that might help if only a little, or maybe not until more healed,

I have  just been reading a success story and they mention DNRS,  I wondered had anyone tried it? 

Any other suggestions?

Got to do something to help relieve this somehow I am too old to just sit around for years and hope it will all get better

It might be I  just need more time, I don't know but I do know I am so bothered by this  and it not budging from early morning till evening when it dies down some

The other symptoms a remain constant  ,this seem set to my body clock and it needs to calm down , and learn there is no reason to be stuck this way , 

Can you will it better or is it really  just time and  hope?

Jen

[58...]

Dear Jen,

I wish I could give you a magic potion to alleviate your symptoms.  Unfortunately, the only remedy is time.  When things got really bad for me I would pace around shake and cry...to prevent from getting to the pacing episodes I would reach out on here (usually I would be crying for help) and so would put a fish tank scene on YouTube.  Something about the calming music and watching the fish swim around was super calming for me.  I would also put on fireplace scenes on YouTube in the winter time.  It reminded me of home, I do not consider the apartment I live in home lol...I guess that’s part of my problem these days.  Anyway, I tried to find a little comfort in those things.  It helped.

Feel better

Love

Fiercey

Dear Jen,

I wish I could give you a magic potion to alleviate your symptoms.  Unfortunately, the only remedy is time.  When things got really bad for me I would pace around shake and cry...to prevent from getting to the pacing episodes I would reach out on here (usually I would be crying for help) and so would put a fish tank scene on YouTube.  Something about the calming music and watching the fish swim around was super calming for me.  I would also put on fireplace scenes on YouTube in the winter time.  It reminded me of home, I do not consider the apartment I live in home lol...I guess that’s part of my problem these days.  Anyway, I tried to find a little comfort in those things.  It helped.

Feel better

Love

Fiercey

Thank you Fiercey

I seem to have become phobic about most everything recently , you tube and tv  have been added, this is so restricting I mean what can I do when so tired out  and worn down , and  I walk and walk,  yesterday was 7.5 miles, and still  no peace from this,

I had hoped I could convince this brain that everything is fine, but it's not getting through as yet

I am told that  there is little you can do for chemical anxiety but wait to heal , and gaba receptors to recover , I feel it is far more than that though ,

As I had quite severe anxiety before I took the drug, I am not surprised it is so bad now and I gain more and more distance from the last dose I am more and more raw and don't know whether I should be working on this at 8 months off or not

I would love to find a calm time when I can function once again, it would be the best gift in all the world to me

I wish I had windows but I don't  just this endless ground hog day with things getting more and more intense,

Surely soon there will be some relief  don't you think?

Jen

You could try things that stimulate the vagus nerve.

Gargling, cold water on face, humming etc.

Thank you Ajusta, I could try that,  humming bothers my ears as it hits the vibration note, One of the many sounds I in there ,  what a  mess this is , gargling seems ok though. A different tone

Oh how I regret any and all of the psychotropic drugs in my past

This one beats the lot though , 

Jen

Yes, I can’t hum. Too loud and distorted.

Google self Vagus nerve stimulation.

There are gadgets you can get for it as well.

Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation.

Not sure of the Alpha Stim I got does that or not or if they are only on prescription.

Was hoping alpha stim would release muscles but doesn’t.

The ear clips version of it makes me very dizzy so clearly does something.

Maybe once off a while it will help. Supposed to calm anxiety very effectively.

Yes, I can’t hum. Too loud and distorted.

Google self Vagus nerve stimulation.

There are gadgets you can get for it as well.

Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation.

Not sure of the Alpha Stim I got does that or not or if they are only on prescription.

Was hoping alpha stim would release muscles but doesn’t.

The ear clips version of it makes me very dizzy so clearly does something.

Maybe once off a while it will help. Supposed to calm anxiety very effectively.

Thank you Ajusta

I will have a look  that up , , I have heard of the Alpha Stim, but I didn't think it available on the NHS

I  keep hoping that things will improve if  I stick to a reasonable diet and don't add in any psychotropic drugs, 

My ears are so bad re the distortion of sound now,  I can hardly hear my own voice,  or anyone elses , it's all too base and booming , 

Oh for the day when life is once again as it was before this happened

I wonder how long the ear torture will last?

Here I am again

8 months and 4 days off,

I am stuck in fight or flight all the time and  really do need a way to bring it down ,

I know it is no doubt part of the withdrawal and a major symptom but there has to be something apart from the tapping and positive affirmations  I do all the time

I started with an anxiety state  for whatever reason I will never be able to untangle ,  past alcohol , past AD's  Trauma and a hard life , stress , age , all of it  or none  who can say 

I know a lot is chemical but surely  there are  things that might help if only a little, or maybe not until more healed,

I have  just been reading a success story and they mention DNRS,  I wondered had anyone tried it? 

Any other suggestions?

Got to do something to help relieve this somehow I am too old to just sit around for years and hope it will all get better

It might be I  just need more time, I don't know but I do know I am so bothered by this  and it not budging from early morning till evening when it dies down some

The other symptoms a remain constant  ,this seem set to my body clock and it needs to calm down , and learn there is no reason to be stuck this way , 

Jen

Deep belly breathing daily turns off the sympathetic nervous system. Exercise seems to help a bit.I mean high intensity exercise sort of aerobics.Mindfulness helps too.If you can also visit the anxiety centre,mad tips on there.

Here I am again

8 months and 4 days off,

Any other suggestions?

Jen

Deep belly breathing daily turns off the sympathetic nervous system. Exercise seems to help a bit.I mean high intensity exercise sort of aerobics.Mindfulness helps too.If you can also visit the anxiety centre,mad tips on there.

Thank you for the tips,  I will keep doing the deep belly breaths,  I am not sure about the high intensity aerobics though , not at 75, but I walk pretty fast, , Mindfulness, not sure I can stay still and calm but again I will try , 

I will  whatever if it  stands even a small chance of helping,

Thanks again

Jen

You could try things that stimulate the vagus nerve.

Gargling, cold water on face, humming etc.

Thank you Ajusta, I could try that,  humming bothers my ears as it hits the vibration note, One of the many sounds I in there ,  what a  mess this is , gargling seems ok though. A different tone

Oh how I regret any and all of the psychotropic drugs in my past

This one beats the lot though , 

Jen

Maybe you could try what I do. Use Ajusta's advice and try to do it with your mouth OPEN, vocalizing "Ahhhhh's" and alternate with "Ohhhhh's".  It definitely calms me right away. I believe it's the ancient concept of the Om sound (minus the vibration). Hope that helps!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here I am again

8 months and 4 days off,

Any other suggestions?

Jen

Jen kindly watch this YouTube talk.

I so know how you feel I was in constant state of flight or fight from jumping off to 5 months off t!  All I focussed on was eating very very healthy.  Non even the tiniest bit of processed sugar from any foods eating at least 5 types of veg and 5 fruit and high protein vegetarian food.  The main things that worsened my symptoms was exercise... stress.... caffeine and all sugar. Even fruit n and had to watch the b vitamins. Now 6 months off ave started to make huge weekly progress...  actually even getting to the stage where I am better than pre benzo.  BUT HUGE BUT... I am taking remon 45mg.  As I cant afford to be in fight or flight because during all of this I am dealing with being pregnant!!  But I can tolerate caffeine and sugar now so I am really seeing results and of course time is best healer.  I hope you make some progress out of the benzo hell..... x

I so know how you feel I was in constant state of flight or fight from jumping off to 5 months off t!  All I focussed on was eating very very healthy.  Non even the tiniest bit of processed sugar from any foods eating at least 5 types of veg and 5 fruit and high protein vegetarian food.  The main things that worsened my symptoms was exercise... stress.... caffeine and all sugar. Even fruit n and had to watch the b vitamins. Now 6 months off ave started to make huge weekly progress...  actually even getting to the stage where I am better than pre benzo.  BUT HUGE BUT... I am taking remon 45mg.  As I cant afford to be in fight or flight because during all of this I am dealing with being pregnant!!  But I can tolerate caffeine and sugar now so I am really seeing results and of course time is best healer.  I hope you make some progress out of the benzo hell..... x

Thank you Claire, 

I am so glad you are seeing improvements now and congratulations on your pregnancy

How long have you been on Remeron?

Do you think that has played a role in helping you?

I am 8 months and 1 week off and no sign of anything subsiding as yet

I do eat a lot of fruit and some sugar in a the form of a couple of squares of dark chocolate, and some nature valley honey an oat bars,

I do a lot of walking too in the hope that it will boost the good things in the brain

I wish I could find some calm for sure, because this seems to have been going on forever

I suffer really badly with tinnitus as well ,and being deaf it is hard to cope,  as well as a lot of numbness, in my hands face and feet, 

I never ever saw this coming  and keep hoping that tomorrow I will begin to see a turn around,  Oh for a window or something to give me some relief ,

Not as yet however,

Jen

Dearest Jen, what a symbol of recovery you have become. You show us that we can come through anything and we love you for that. Thank you, sweet Jenno.

Thank you v much!

I think the remeron played a huge role in me getting better. It would be impossible to sleep otherwise and I have been on remeron for 5 months its gradually went up and going to the 45mg about 3 weeks ago.(I know I will have to face coming off it but that's another battle for another day) As I do get the occasional wave and when I did I had to up the dose but since my last mini wave I have just continued to improve. I wish I knew what the secret was... but I do feel a super healthy diet contributes ... but it's been a long hard road out of hell.

I had to be careful with exercising... even Just shopping could set me off. It's a tricky balance.. .can you log you symptoms and what triggers it? I have to Avoid sugar and caffine like the plague but I crave it like mad thanks to the remeron.

Yes I had tinnitus alot its disappeared now. Had numb patches which is gone but I still have numb teeth that hasnt went away yet. Please please dont give up because I promise you will improve just keep going take every day as it comes. I honestly thought I would be better off dead as it was worse than hell and cant believe the progress but I had to put 110% into it and put my husband through hell too.

Hi Jen dear. Just popping in to say I'm rooting for you and you're always in my prayers. Please don't give up. You never know when the day will come when you will have a little window at last, so please keep hanging in there  :therethere:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]